Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452584 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20145 on: January 15, 2011, 01:30:25 am »

Your lack of self-confidence makes me sad. My lack, too.

And 4chann is terrible, I saw a picture of a thread that encouraged school shootings and an article which claims to be about the shooting described in the thread, it's either shopped or totally horrible.

I think I just grew a conscience. Dammit!

Re fqllve: I meant it is a thing guys tend to do, and that it is usually said as a joke.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: January 15, 2011, 01:32:36 am »

Hah. All the guys here respect Vector more than she respects herself!

But yeah, rape jokes are worse than dead baby jokes, in my opinion. If a person has lost a child, or have a child, then they'd be offended. Anyone can get raped.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: January 15, 2011, 01:34:14 am »

Hah. All the guys here respect Vector more than she respects herself!

But, your respect helps me to respect myself more and more, as I see that there's something worthy of respecting =)

So, thanks to everyone.

I am just going to sit in that warm and happy glow, because the dude replied and now I want to rip his testicles off.  No joke.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20148 on: January 15, 2011, 01:37:49 am »

I'm not necessarily against the topic. After all, it's universally agreed that prison rape is []ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS[/sarcasm]. I just, y'know, require my jokes to have actual joke content. That statement seemed to imply that rape is inherently funny. Which is... probably the most offensive thing I've heard in a long time.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:03 am »

Frankly, 4chan aint even that bad. Most people go there for the memes and some easy laugh. People encouraging shooting and the like are angry twelves years old and called as such.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: January 15, 2011, 01:40:28 am »

I believe the term is 'Newbfag/b/tard' or something?

Goodnight!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: January 15, 2011, 01:42:53 am »

Normally about 200 replies saying the op is a fag then it drop down to page 15.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: January 15, 2011, 01:45:30 am »

Hmm, I've never been.  Thanks for rectifying my misconceptions.

As far as the rape joke thing, to me it's just another episode in a long string of folks replying to relationship threads with disturbingly sexist advice.  I can laugh at jokes like that, sometimes.  I even laughed at the "master key and shitty lock" thing, damaging as it is.

But this sort of thing just can't make me laugh, especially given the context and the way he phrased his second post.  If he'd just left the first one there, I would have felt better about it.

Ah, well.

EDIT: Things that made me happy today: he got banned <3
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:47:52 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: January 15, 2011, 01:48:05 am »

Unrelated:
I've just took notice of your avatar, Vector. Are those "kopytka"?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: January 15, 2011, 01:50:55 am »

To be honest, the only time I saw a rape joke on 4chan (keeping in mind, I avoid /b/ like the plague) was on /u/.
Because, y'know, rape is okay when it's female on female.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:23 am »

Unrelated:
I've just took notice of your avatar, Vector. Are those "kopytka"?

Theoretically, they're vareniki/varenyky.  Now I want to learn how to make kopytka, though... they seem very cute, and pretty simple, too.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20156 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:37 am »

But this sort of thing just can't make me laugh, especially given the context and the way he phrased his second post.  If he'd just left the first one there, I would have felt better about it.

Yeah, but only because the second post implies that what he said was in all seriousness. Which, in the first place seemed like it could have been, excepting how outrageously offensive it was.

But yeah, those relationship threads... It's no different in real life though. Relationship advice always seems to bring out the sexist in people.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20157 on: January 15, 2011, 02:02:31 am »

Easy. Someone ask advice. People are happy to see people listen to their advice, since it shows the opinion they have are important. So they want that validation, but to be sure to be heard and taken seriously they need to show that thie advice is the best. If they want to show an image of Manly man, that kind of tripe is the easy  way to go.

basically, people want validation and attention and thus becomes a fuckwad on an internet forums.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: January 15, 2011, 02:19:33 am »

Doubly so because this is not in fact a men's locker room, as so many people seem to keep forgetting.
Have you ever been in a men's locker room? I'm vaguely insulted that you think that they are full of rape jokes. In fact, that's one of many things you simply do not say in a locker room. Ever. Around here, anyway.

I think I missed what that guy said originally, though I saw the reactions. What exactly did he do?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: January 15, 2011, 02:28:49 am »

Have you ever been in a men's locker room? I'm vaguely insulted that you think that they are full of rape jokes. In fact, that's one of many things you simply do not say in a locker room. Ever. Around here, anyway.

I was going to say "male safespace," but didn't think anyone would understand what I meant.  It was meant more metaphorically than literally.  I don't actually think that a locker-room, as a physical structure, is full of rape jokes (or even much talking at all, really--most of the talking I heard in the women's locker room was people teaching each other Hebrew, not gossiping about clothing or anything similar).

I have not been in a men's locker room before, no.  I have more respect for the occupants than that.  My apologies for the stereotyping, though--completely my fault.

He basically suggested that a woman who wasn't showing interest in one of our forum-goers should be violated, as she would then be impressed by his strength and inclined to go out with him.  When called on this, he refused to back down and suggested that such advice would benefit the person in question greatly, so that he might stop being a "beta male" and no one would be asking for relationship help in Life Advice.

Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 8167