Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455172 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20085 on: January 14, 2011, 05:13:58 am »

I fell into a storm drain. Didn't see it, was walking in ankle deep water, and just kinda fell. Thankfully my frenzied swimming meant that I didn't get my face underwater- despite the steel cap boots making floating a little difficult. Anyway, I managed to struggle my way to a nearby guard rail and pull myself out of the water. Funny thing you never imagine in a flood- The water goes through everything. First, and most notably, the sewerage of 25,000 homes. But also any food, drink or meat left in fridges and cupboards, anything that died, and any aquatic life. And I had a cut.

So now I'm having a quick break between the frantically getting rushed to a doctor thing.
What the hell? Why don't they put up signs/posts if it's fall-throughable?
Love, scriver~

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #20086 on: January 14, 2011, 05:16:06 am »

Haven't, slept. In two days...

I feel dead, pills aren't working. How can I get college work done? Meh...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20087 on: January 14, 2011, 06:42:12 am »

I fell into a storm drain. Didn't see it, was walking in ankle deep water, and just kinda fell. Thankfully my frenzied swimming meant that I didn't get my face underwater- despite the steel cap boots making floating a little difficult. Anyway, I managed to struggle my way to a nearby guard rail and pull myself out of the water. Funny thing you never imagine in a flood- The water goes through everything. First, and most notably, the sewerage of 25,000 homes. But also any food, drink or meat left in fridges and cupboards, anything that died, and any aquatic life. And I had a cut.

So now I'm having a quick break between the frantically getting rushed to a doctor thing.
What the hell? Why don't they put up signs/posts if it's fall-throughable?

Because usually Queensland isn't flooded to hell and back.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20088 on: January 14, 2011, 06:50:03 am »

Yeah, but if it's big enough to fall into, then it would have had to been opened, wouldn't it? Or am I just not able to imagine the kind of drains you have down there?
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20089 on: January 14, 2011, 07:14:45 am »

I'm guessing it was a manhole kind of dealy - except the cover or grate got pushed off.
Or possibly a sinkhole.

I wasn't exactly in a situation where I felt like contemplating what I had found myself in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20090 on: January 14, 2011, 08:23:30 am »

There probably was a sign there, before a flood turned most streets in to rivers.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20091 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »

Changing from Christmas avatar to normal one. It looks naked.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20092 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »

There was a rather unpleasant general mood in the social area of my college today, and on a day where I have most of the day off. Not very nice when you're not really one for emotional introspection and empathy.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20093 on: January 14, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »

When I was growing up here, everyone thought I was European, or Asian, or... just something not American, because they couldn't believe it.  I went to Europe and they thought I was European, too (Swiss, British, French--even Portuguese was more likely than American).  I lived in a dorm for international students and, even after I started talking, they'd always say "So, where are you from?  What country?  You sound like someone with a European education!"

Recently, I've been starting to think: "If everyone thinks I'm European, why don't I try to spend 10-15 years in Europe?"

Everybody I meet seems to think, that I'm from germany. There seems to be some cliche, I'm not aware of.
I don't recall Germans being known for their use of standard german, but rather for their dialect and weird accent.

And we eat terribly over here, and our houses are poorly-insulated, and there's all the weird anti-foreign sentiment plus crazy conservatives... American English is a mess and I live in California, where it's even worse because no one speaks good English and even my mother says "hella."  Furthermore, we sell bad ice cream!  I mean, seriously, guys.  How do you mess up ice cream?  At least our drivers and roads are good, even if we have an enormous anti-intellectual problem right now.  Plus, there's the terrible foreign policy and all the messes about public health care, the Tea Party, the shootings, the "we don't care about how anyone else feels because we're Amurrican" attitude, the lack of drive of the younger generations, the disinterest in foreign cultures even among the citizenry, the casual racism and nationalism and desire to swagger around everywhere like we own everything on a citizen-based level.

Well lets see how austria compares:
  • Politics - 2 big stagnating parties, resting in their cradle of power, slowly loosing support to the ascending right parties, which do not deliver any solutions to the problems we have, but use firebrand speeches on everyone and everything
  • Language -  Dialect is dominating, while standard speech is slowly vanishing
  • Food - well except for the typical "Heuriger"-food, not much we did contribute
  • Racism and discrimination are nothing unusual here

Can't say much about Poland though except that the food is great (Bigos, Pierogi, Flaki, Kluski).

I'd be a bit scared of moving to Poland, too, especially because I am very not-Catholic and I hear folks over there find imperfect Polish incomprehensible, rather than merely annoying.

No idead, how poles stand to immigration. It's pretty uncommon there and the few immigrants you get there, are mostly from other slavic countries.
I don't think being atheist would be a great issue. Most of the younger generations you meet in churches there, treat it as a social meetup. As long as you don't start a theistic argument with some of the older people there, you should be fine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20094 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:54 pm »

I'd be a bit scared of moving to Poland, too, especially because I am very not-Catholic and I hear folks over there find imperfect Polish incomprehensible, rather than merely annoying.

No idea, how poles stand to immigration. It's pretty uncommon there and the few immigrants you get there, are mostly from other slavic countries.
I don't think being atheist would be a great issue. Most of the younger generations you meet in churches there, treat it as a social meetup. As long as you don't start a theistic argument with some of the older people there, you should be fine.
Totally. The stereotypical god-fearing Pole doesn't exist anymore, apart from some isolated strongholds, which are naturally dying off. What remains here, is a huge, devoid of deeper meaning, inert load of religion(i.e.Catholicism) themed cultural habits.
From what little I've seen of the US, you guys appear to be worse in that respect.

As for immigrants - we're mostly prejudiced against our eastern slavic neighbours, in a similar fashion as our western germanic ones are prejudiced against us. Everybody knows they're thieves, brutes, and hobos.
Other than that, it's a nice place for foreigners. Just choose a large city, so that you'll get more English-speaking people.
It's also very easy to get a job in a language school, if you're a native speaker. Especially if you've got some experience already.

Also, I'd say immigration is not that uncommon. In Kraków, it's hard to pass a day without at least once hearing somebody speaking some foreign language - and that's outside of the holiday season.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20095 on: January 14, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »

D:

Pain story go go go
My Dad told me over the phone that yesterday he was working out when his arm came out of his shoulder and made a "pop" sound real loud.  It went back in place after he rolled off the bench thing but he said the pain was unimaginable.
Ouch.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20096 on: January 14, 2011, 06:16:51 pm »

Dislocation hurts like a bitch.
That's all there really is to say on the matter.

Anyway, They still haven't made a male gender for the Demon Hunter. So that's annoying.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20097 on: January 14, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »

I keep getting kinda nuts about my hard drive space, I have 95gigs left but whenever I get under 90 go blitzing around the hard drive trying to figure out how to free more space, like uninstalling games I don't play much and cataloging my folders to see what is using all my space. (300 gig hard drive btw) So far M2:TW and ETW are my heaviest games with M2:TW taking 30 gigs and ETW taking 24 gigs. (Yay for mods)

Also for some strange reason there is 8-10 gigs just... used by something and I have no idea what, haha. (Like I add up all the folders and the files in C: and it comes out to 176ish and right-click properties on the hard-drive says 188 used) Ah well I'm sure there is a good reason I'm ignoring.
There's a shareware programe called Spacemonger that will analyze that for you.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20098 on: January 14, 2011, 06:56:03 pm »

Dislocated thumb.
Hello Hunam

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20099 on: January 14, 2011, 07:01:18 pm »

I keep getting kinda nuts about my hard drive space, I have 95gigs left but whenever I get under 90 go blitzing around the hard drive trying to figure out how to free more space, like uninstalling games I don't play much and cataloging my folders to see what is using all my space. (300 gig hard drive btw) So far M2:TW and ETW are my heaviest games with M2:TW taking 30 gigs and ETW taking 24 gigs. (Yay for mods)

Also for some strange reason there is 8-10 gigs just... used by something and I have no idea what, haha. (Like I add up all the folders and the files in C: and it comes out to 176ish and right-click properties on the hard-drive says 188 used) Ah well I'm sure there is a good reason I'm ignoring.
There's a shareware programe called Spacemonger that will analyze that for you.
Spacemonger is a great tool to keep around.  It's very well designed, has a great interface, and is incredibly lightweight.  It's everything that a program should be.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 8167