Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470422 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19815 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:54 am »

A 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest in Borderlands. From the first quest in the chain, I knew exactly what was going on and continuously facepalmed as the story for the quest proceeded exactly as I had predicted.
Recipe for creating a 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest:
1. Bring bad guy into power, often by killing their predecessor.
2. Do some random fetch quests for the bad guy
3. Find out they are a bad guy
4. Kill them

They started out as a humorous commentary about how players will take any quest given to them... But seriously folks, now that every RPG on the market has at least 1 of these in them at some point, can we please just forget about these horribly designed quests?

They did it best in WoW where, at the end of helping out the shady hermit in the shack, a giant abomination marches into town and rapes all the other players.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #19816 on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:50 am »

Is this the 'Turns out ""JOHN"" Was a bad guy. Shoulda seen that coming.' In one of the DLC's? Because I found that hilarious.
Oh god, there's another one? >_< It was the JaynisTown one.

They did it best in WoW where, at the end of helping out the shady hermit in the shack, a giant abomination marches into town and rapes all the other players.
Yeah, at least the WoW one was at least somewhat discrete about it until the abomination is actually let loose. And the player's low level at the time means they may actually miss what is going on until said abomination is released. This Borderlands one was obvious from the first quest in the series what it was going to be. Part way through the chain: "Hey, here's a quest to go to a container outside of town and get what's coming to you!" Me: "IT'S A TRAP!" And lo and behold, the crate was full of midget psycos and surrounded by bandits.

The worst part is that it instantly breaks any sort of immersion you might have had up to that point. "Lol, here, have some blatant meta-humor!"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:41:00 am by alway »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19817 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:25 am »

Discrete? It's a Hermit in a shack who asks you for flesh from the surrounding houses for 'secret experiments'.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19818 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:22 am »

Is this the 'Turns out ""JOHN"" Was a bad guy. Shoulda seen that coming.' In one of the DLC's? Because I found that hilarious.
Oh god, there's another one? >_< It was the JaynisTown one.

Oh yes, there is. Unfortunately, if I told you which DLC, you'd see it coming.
But... needless to say, you see it coming. From so, so far away. Seriously, like, as soon as you get the first of many of his quests, you're like 'Yeah, he's bad. Definitely bad.'
It's actually really funny in that regard.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19819 on: January 10, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

I woke up. I got dressed, and went to kitchen to  eat.
I then decided to quickly do stuff on a computer.
It takes me half an hour to realize the clock shows 2am.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19820 on: January 10, 2011, 11:17:46 am »

Railroad Tycoon II.
 How the hell am I supposed to build across the rocky mountains. There is a bit of flat area around San Francisco, but it's surrounded by sheer cliffs and some douche company always surrounds it with a fortress of railways and makes it impossible to even make a station there even if you make a connected rail there that isn't a vertical drop. Or terraform the mountains.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #19821 on: January 10, 2011, 11:20:05 am »

Railroad Tycoon II.
 How the hell am I supposed to build across the rocky mountains. There is a bit of flat area around San Francisco, but it's surrounded by sheer cliffs and some douche company always surrounds it with a fortress of railways and makes it impossible to even make a station there even if you make a connected rail there that isn't a vertical drop. Or terraform the mountains.

That level cost me a new computer...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19822 on: January 10, 2011, 11:22:27 am »

It's only level three what the hell. Every new level makes me feel like I'm completely over my head all over again, although if I zoomed out far enough on the last one I could see a clear flat path to build railways. Not happening on this mission though. I think I can build through the deserts but there is nothing profitable through there.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #19823 on: January 10, 2011, 11:25:42 am »

Is san fransicco the one in the left most corner at the bottom? I think I punched a hole right throught the map, pretty much went from one side of the map to the other with branches off the one rail network for ta' profit.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: January 10, 2011, 11:26:14 am »

Can you dig a tunnel?
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19825 on: January 10, 2011, 11:28:57 am »

Can you dig a tunnel?
It's the 1860's, so I don't think I have enough Irishmen to do that.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:59 am »

I don't remember you being able too, this was really early in the game where in the timescale of things, building a big arse bridge was considered the best thing to happen in engineering. I'm not even sure if that game allowed you to do that but I think I'm wrong on that.

It's been to long.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: January 10, 2011, 12:11:44 pm »

Im sorry Vector, but no, you shouldn't theoretically be able to understand German. They're not that close. :P

Really?  See, I find I can easily understand most simple Spanish and Italian (though to be fair I also speak French and studied a very little Spanish), and people keep going on about how similar German is to English and how easy it is to understand even if you've had absolutely no contact with the language.

I officially disagree :I
If I had to guess, I'd say those people are either schooled in German (presuming they are native English speakers, otherwise it's just the other way around) and therefore have enough knowledge to see the similarities (like I can between Swedish and English), and as it's hard to unlearn or unsee what you have learnt/can see they assume it's equally clear to everyone else.
Otherwise, they don't really know what they're talking about, and probably just furthering whatever clichés or platitudes they've been told previously. German and English are not similar enough to "instinctively" understand without training.

You have a better chance understanding Swedish.

Oh, huh.  I shall keep that in mind.
I may not be the most unbiased person in this question (as I said above, it's hard to imagine how it would be without knowing both languages, the similarities and in which way's they differ from each other), but I really feel Swedish and English are very alike. Many words are almost exactly the same, with just a few vowels and/or (mostly or) consonants differing. And that's even without counting the many Latin derivatives that exist in both languages.
But then again, it's probably just because I know enough to the most or some of the habits of the languages as well.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: January 10, 2011, 12:14:32 pm »

I understand significantly less German than I do Polish.  This is embarrassing me, because theoretically I should understand German as an English speaker.

Not a single word.
Try Frisian.  That's meant to be extremely similar to English.

German... eh.  Some words are kindof similar, but a lot of things are different.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19829 on: January 10, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »

I lived in Holland, became fluent in dutch, then moved to the states and took German as class because the two are very similar. The result is that I can now speak neither German, nor Dutch, because I mix up all the words and grammar, but I'm not bad at understanding both, more Dutch than German of course.
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 8167