Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470426 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19800 on: January 10, 2011, 12:34:36 am »

Honestly, it's probably because I'm walking around at 215 on a 140lb-ish frame. Excess weight is never good on the body. That, and, well...I like to kick things.
You could try kicking softer things. Like your enemies. Walls might be more difficult.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: January 10, 2011, 12:36:38 am »

Isn't beating you to death with Christianity metaphors the point of the book series?

This.

Lionjesus died nom nomed someone for your sins.

Reading House of Leaves, thinking of how Johnny's sexual escapades are repetitive and annoying to read.

0-(optional step) moar drugs and alcohol with Lude.

1-Meet woman who once helped Zampanó.

2-Secks.

3-Huge rant.

4-Oh my look at the time, better go back to the plot.

Repeat between relevant plot points.

Great book, but sometimes Johnny's narrative is plain annoying.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:40:03 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: January 10, 2011, 12:44:17 am »

Isn't beating you to death with Christianity metaphors the point of the book series?
Lionjesus died nom nomed someone for your sins.
Lionjesus came back alive.
Lionjesus is always going to watch over you.
Lionjesus's kingdom is only for 'good' people.
Lionjesus's kingdom is at the end of the world.
Lionjesus wanted you to go to Narnia so that you could understand him better in the real world.
Lionjesus is able to do anything, mainly by threats and roaring.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19803 on: January 10, 2011, 12:47:26 am »

Steam made me sad today. Everytime I go to play a game it starts updating it. It won't let me play that game and some of the updates last 3+ hours.

Steam is perhaps the worst kick in the nuts a company could give to computer gamers.

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: January 10, 2011, 12:49:34 am »

... Seriously?
Nah, I was being a bit facetious. There are, of course, good pieces of literature to be found here, just as in any other place.

And let me tell you, Lem was my God, when I was a teenager. I've got nearly every book he wrote in my library. Too bad he liked neologisms so much, as finding a translation can be just as much of a pain as writing one.
Of course, as you've noticed, science fiction does not really count as literature.

I think I've only read "Solaris" by him, when I was younger.
From what I remember, it was a very abstract book.
How is his other work?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: January 10, 2011, 12:50:54 am »

Not going to lie, things have never been rockier. I don't think there has ever been as much yelling and arguing in this house until tonight. Jesus...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:24 am »

:<

I hope things get better for you Worky.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: January 10, 2011, 01:30:35 am »

(...)Abstract.
How is his other work?
Well, yes, he liked to play with philosopical questions in his books, so there is a lot of abstraction there. There is quite a bit of a variety in his writing, as you can find anything from "adventures in space for young adults"(The Star Diaries, Tales of Pirx the Pilot), to extra-hard-sf scenarios(His Master's Voice, Fiasco, The Invincible), to tales of reality-distrust reminiscent of Philip K.Dick's obsession(The Futurological Congress), to allegorical dystopias(Memoirs found in a Bathtub, Return from the Stars), to surreal fables(The Cyberiad), to literary experiments[think reviews and introductions to nonexisting books](A Perfect Vacuum, Imaginary Magnitude), to philosophical treatises on subjects like cybernetics and futurology(Dialogues, Summa Technologiae).

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19808 on: January 10, 2011, 01:52:02 am »

Well, yes, he liked to play with philosopical questions in his books, so there is a lot of abstraction there. There is quite a bit of a variety in his writing, as you can find anything from "adventures in space for young adults"(The Star Diaries, Tales of Pirx the Pilot), to extra-hard-sf scenarios(His Master's Voice, Fiasco, The Invincible), to tales of reality-distrust reminiscent of Philip K.Dick's obsession(The Futurological Congress), to allegorical dystopias(Memoirs found in a Bathtub, Return from the Stars), to surreal fables(The Cyberiad), to literary experiments[think reviews and introductions to nonexisting books](A Perfect Vacuum, Imaginary Magnitude), to philosophical treatises on subjects like cybernetics and futurology(Dialogues, Summa Technologiae).

A Perfect Vacuum should be required reading for anyone taking any literature course in any language. And required "beating about the head with" for anyone taking a lit theory or lit crit course.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: January 10, 2011, 02:03:55 am »

Hey, let's be friends!
(I just wanted to assure you all that fqllve is not, in fact, my alt account, through which I'm advertising my obscure interests)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19810 on: January 10, 2011, 02:15:06 am »

I dunno. First Texhnolyze and now this? I'm starting to get suspicious myself.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:02 am »

Bleh. I've been thinking about my past. Which inevitably sends me into a simultaneous hysterical kill rage and soul crushing depression.

---Edited for psychoticness.---
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:46:29 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: January 10, 2011, 04:55:16 am »

Back in college after progress week, after not doing any of the work I was supposed to do -______-

Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:38 am »

A 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest in Borderlands. From the first quest in the chain, I knew exactly what was going on and continuously facepalmed as the story for the quest proceeded exactly as I had predicted.
Recipe for creating a 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest:
1. Bring bad guy into power, often by killing their predecessor.
2. Do some random fetch quests for the bad guy
3. Find out they are a bad guy
4. Kill them

They started out as a humorous commentary about how players will take any quest given to them... But seriously folks, now that every RPG on the market has at least 1 of these in them at some point, can we please just forget about these horribly designed quests?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: January 10, 2011, 08:14:21 am »

A 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest in Borderlands. From the first quest in the chain, I knew exactly what was going on and continuously facepalmed as the story for the quest proceeded exactly as I had predicted.
Recipe for creating a 'player character gets duped into helping a bad guy' quest:
1. Bring bad guy into power, often by killing their predecessor.
2. Do some random fetch quests for the bad guy
3. Find out they are a bad guy
4. Kill them

They started out as a humorous commentary about how players will take any quest given to them... But seriously folks, now that every RPG on the market has at least 1 of these in them at some point, can we please just forget about these horribly designed quests?
Is this the 'Turns out ""JOHN"" Was a bad guy. Shoulda seen that coming.' In one of the DLC's? Because I found that hilarious.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 8167