Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471565 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19755 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:34 am »

Today I read Pictures for Sad Children. There was a new comic. I was depressed. I was entertained.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: January 09, 2011, 11:14:44 am »

Read The Daily What article on the Arizona shooting. Learned that 9-year-old who was killed was born on 9/11 and had also just been elected to her Student Council.

I feel like shit now. :(
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:58 am »

Read The Daily What article on the Arizona shooting. Learned that 9-year-old who was killed was born on 9/11 and had also just been elected to her Student Council.

Was she actually born on 9/11/2001?  I find that a little hard to believe, but everything I know is real about the story feels so contrived already I wouldn't be surprised either.  If you made up something that full of inexplicable symbolism, people would call you a maudlin hack.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: January 09, 2011, 11:31:23 am »

Here's the article.
UPDATE 17: About 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green of Tucson, who was murdered in today’s attack: “[She] had just been elected to the student council at her school.
UPDATE 19: Photo of 9-year-old shooting victim Christina Taylor Greene, who was born on September 11, 2001. Related: Photo of Christina from Faces of Hope: Babies Born on 9/11.
Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: January 09, 2011, 12:00:47 pm »

That's a... strange coincidence.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: January 09, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »

I'm not so much sad as really confused, but damn, relationships are hard.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:08 pm »

Edit: 'Tis indeed the truth alright.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: January 09, 2011, 03:34:14 pm »

I'm not so much sad as really confused, but damn, relationships are hard.

I feel for you, man =/  Keeping my fingers crossed for it all working out however you want it to.

EDIT: Good lord, why are they offering a student-taught Twilight course at Berkeley?  Goddammit.  And I thought the Starcraft techniques one was bad.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:02:01 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: January 09, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »

EDIT: Good lord, why are they offering a student-taught Twilight course at Berkeley?  Goddammit.  And I thought the Starcraft techniques one was bad.
How would that work, exactly?
[/post]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »

How would that work, exactly?

This is how.  Dammit.

I'll probably be taking the typesetting in LaTeX course, as well as the course on kanji memorization.  Those look like they'll be really good.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, Ibsen is widely considered the greatest playwright since Shakespeare and I haven't read any of his plays?  This is terrible.

And the other thing that makes me kind of sad is that in the "courses on only one author" selection, Italy only has Dante, and Spanish only has Cervantes.  Compared to the wide range of authors studied in the French, German, English, and Russian departments, it's really too bad and makes me wonder why they don't have more major authors lying around.

On the other hand, Poland and Hungary have zero mentioned =/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:35:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »

And the other thing that makes me kind of sad is that in the "courses on only one author" selection, Italy only has Dante, and Spanish only has Cervantes.  Compared to the wide range of authors studied in the French, German, English, and Russian departments, it's really too bad and makes me wonder why they don't have more major authors lying around.

Maybe they have less people knowledgeable enough about them to talk about them.
Then again,
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:51 pm »

And I thought the Starcraft techniques one was bad.
Not too bad. There is a good deal of split-second planning and looking to the future involved in the competitive matches. It shouldn't be worth credits, but having the class isn't too much harm. I can even sort of understand the college course some place has on the game Portal. There are some stylistic and gameplay elements worth discussing to future game designers. Most of the game is a tutorial, if any college course should be made for game designers it should be on that game.

The Twilight one I don't understand, unless it's a Sociology class on the fans and foes of the books/movies.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: January 09, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »

On the other hand, Poland and Hungary have zero mentioned =/
Understandable. I don't know about Hungary, but Polish literature is composed of an ungodly mixture of fanservicing the low national self-esteem, wet dreams of former glory, and a few inside jokes on the state of the Polish nation. Even in Poland, nobody sane would willingly read these, if not for the public school system.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: January 09, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

The Twilight one makes no sense. At all.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »

Looks like an easy way to get grades, if you love twilight. Unfortunately, I don't.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 8167