Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472469 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19725 on: January 08, 2011, 11:11:35 am »

Argh! Goddamned laptop charger isn't working. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from my lack of being able to play any of my games.
*Hugs*

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: January 08, 2011, 11:32:36 am »

complete with leftover leaves from your brussel sprout breakfast ...

You leave my pot--with your cooked leafy vegetable remnants--on the front burner all day, precisely where anyone who wants to cook is going to put a pan.

There is a difference between leaving out some papers on the dining room table, which no one uses, and leaving your dirty silverware and disgusting empty takeout containers all over the limited counter space.  That is disgusting.  I don't care how little time you have, it is inappropriate to leave that gunk on the counter--and even more so for a woman who is probably at least thirty-five years old.  I have an excuse.  I am twenty, new to cooking in general, and still sometimes forget things in the heat of a stir-fried moment.  You are not twenty, and there is a difference between leaving an empty, clean box on a table and spewing empty Chinese takeout boxes, still caked with yellow-green gunk, all over the small amount of available counter space.  Overnight and, in fact, for about 24 hours.

These are legitimate complaints.

You may not use my pots and pans without my permission.  ...  The reason I washed it was because I wanted to put it away and get it out of your clutches.  Apparently this is futile, and I will have to make sure I get up earlier than you do so that it will be washed, dried, and in my personal dish space for tomorrow morning.  If it takes getting up at four, I'll do that.  My pots are my pots, not yours.

It is impolite to use up all of the toilet paper without replacing the roll.  You have done this twice, now.  The extra rolls are right there.  Unless you're incapable of bending about a foot to the right, I'm not entirely sure what your excuse for this one is.

If you put your breakfast down the garbage disposal, why don't you run it?  I was somewhat shocked this morning by the sight of your cornflakes and bananas.  I suppose we both found them rather unappetizing.

And these are about one step away from complaining that they didn't give you a goodnight kiss.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: January 08, 2011, 11:34:19 am »

Argh! Goddamned laptop charger isn't working. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from my lack of being able to play any of my games.
Oh god, I know how that feels. It's horrible. Sorry though merchant.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:20 am »

A little late, but his logic was that the Earth is rotating under the chicken.  I tried to explain to him that the chicken is moving at the same speed the Earth is rotating, plus or minus its own movement speed, and that any relative movement between the chicken and the road is entirely the chicken's doing.  He doesn't get it.
Well, I haven't heard the whole argument, but maybe it's within the realm of possibility, that the guy is just not very good at explaining his thoughts, while the idea he's trying to defend is legit - see, he might be talking about the Coriolis force( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force ), one of the inertial forces associated with the rotation of the Earth(and any other rotating object). Basically, it's the force that you feel when the Earth tries to rotate from under your feet, against your own inertia. It's not strong enough to be felt by humans, but it does cause some global wind and stream patterns to look how they do. E.g. the rotation of cyclones, and the easterly direction of so called "trade winds".

Just a thought.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: January 08, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

More likely he is trying to say that if you pick the chicken as the point of reference, it is the Earth that is moving. AKA: one of those teenage thought experiments that we have all had, like the one previously discussed at the forums of "ZOMG, what if I see colors in a completedly different color from everyone else?"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: January 08, 2011, 02:39:40 pm »

However, were I in your shoes, I'd not have a problem with folks using the pot provided they cleaned it afterward, and stored their food in tupperware or something, since you like to have them to cook with. In my experience, it's often a lot more comfortable for people to share things in house situations like that, since the alternative can turn into a passive aggressive ownership/pissing contest quickly.

The reason why this is a problem is because I am a vegetarian.  An extremely strict vegetarian, other than the fish pills, as I've gotten sick from trace amounts of meat before; I think the fish oil may be pure enough or something that it doesn't bother my stomach, unlike basically all of my other recent meaty experiences.  They have more than enough of their own cookware, and mine is reserved to the side to cook my food so that I'll have something to cook in that has never touched meat.

This is very important to me.  I don't mind when people ask "hey, can I cook some eggs in your pan" and wash it directly afterwards.  That's fine.  Hijacking my cookware to make breakfast, day after day, without washing it, just pisses me off.

I also have my own sponge, for precisely this reason.  I do not want meat anywhere near anything I am eating out of, and I do not want people to go cookware-jacking when I don't have a second option.  They do have second options.  I've seen them used.

In exchange, I try not to use their dishes, either (there was one I used because I was offered pie on it).  It's only fair not to make things any more difficult for them.

I think a large part of the problem may have been that I actually forgot it was mine and left it in the drying rack too long =/  I wouldn't have minded her using it in those circumstances, but it was kind of this... wave of irritation over a bunch of her other behavior.  She also might not know why I'm segregating my dishware--I'm not too sure, but I know everyone else knows except possibly her.

Footkerchief, I wouldn't be angry about the other things if she weren't leaving the rest of the kitchen a filthy mess.  She also leaves disgusting food in her part of the fridge and spends all her time on speakerphone, so that I've been able to hear her conversations through multiple doors and walls.  She listens to music really loudly when she's in the shower... but that's more my problem with the house than any particular complaint, because this particular section is right next to the kitchen, bathroom, stairs, and washroom.

Basically, this is the only person I'm sharing the downstairs with right now, though there's four of us using the kitchen (and I only find her gunk everywhere).  I was warned about her "sometimes being a bit messy" when I moved in, but to me it's getting very exhausting to feel like I don't just have to clean up after myself, I have to dodge her mess (and possibly clean parts of it).

It's true.  I like things to be a lot tidier than most people probably do, especially in public spaces, and there are some things I was taught to consider reprehensibly rude as I was growing up.  You close the breadbox and cabinets, every time, no matter what.  You run the goddamned garbage disposal--or at least put a little water in and wash it down a little!--so people aren't greeted by the sight of your breakfast sludging up the sink.  You don't leave dirty food containers all over public preparation areas.  You speak quietly on the phone so other people don't have to hear it.

In any case, I've been guilty of a couple of things--leaving a wok to cool on the stove after curing it, and then forgetting about it for a couple hours, for example--so I'm just going to focus on cleaning up my own act, and if she's still annoying me once I have a leg to stand on I'll talk to her about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »

I believe most of your problems related to the subject at hand would dissapear, if you'd only invest the time you used to write these last few post down, in talking to her.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19732 on: January 08, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »

I believe most of your problems related to the subject at hand would dissapear, if you'd only invest the time you used to write these last few post down, in talking to her.

Possibly.  Needed to blow off steam and also realize that I haven't been the best roommate myself, so frankly, other than the possible pots-and-pans issue, I'm not going to issue any complaints until I've managed to get my own routines down.

You may say "talk to her," but I'm going to go with the "complainer, complain at yourself" route for at least a couple of weeks, and see if that doesn't help.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #19734 on: January 08, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »

Suddenly living in Oregon doesn't seem that great...

Well, there are probably a lot of happy /b/tards out there made happy by this...  ::)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:09 pm »

I'm for it simply because the alternative seems too ripe for abuse.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19736 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »

Oh god, I know how that feels. It's horrible. Sorry though merchant.

You know, this made me realise how much I play games nowadays.

That is to say, not that much at all (besides Minecraft).

What have I become!?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #19737 on: January 08, 2011, 03:17:29 pm »

Suddenly living in Oregon doesn't seem that great...

Well, there are probably a lot of happy /b/tards out there made happy by this...  ::)
Yeah, and now they're all going to move here :(

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #19738 on: January 08, 2011, 03:21:33 pm »

Steam keeps trying to download all my games, despite the fact that I backed them all up. They're sitting there, on the disk. I tell Steam to restore from that and it goes "Okay, I'll redownload all 140GB of it, instead of reading the backup you spent 3 hours making."

AUGH

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

holy gebus i finished Sekien no Inganock.
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 8167