Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472402 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19695 on: January 07, 2011, 05:27:25 pm »

I recently mentioned a guy I know on Facebook who was trying to argue that the road moves under a chicken.  Now he's implying there's no evidence for the Big Bang.  He's really trying my patience, I'm starting to feel like Officer CallYouOut of the You're Saying Something Dumb Police.
Shoes...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #19696 on: January 07, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

I recently mentioned a guy I know on Facebook who was trying to argue that the road moves under a chicken.  Now he's implying there's no evidence for the Big Bang.  He's really trying my patience, I'm starting to feel like Officer CallYouOut of the You're Saying Something Dumb Police.
Have you tried linking him the atheists thread? Just do it and see what he does, hehe.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19697 on: January 07, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »

We shall all band together to insane him under the table.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19698 on: January 07, 2011, 07:04:09 pm »

Have you tried linking him the atheists thread? Just do it and see what he does, hehe.

No.  1, I'm not an atheist; 2, I'm trying to have fun telling him why he's wrong, not sending him to another grinding unwinnable internet war
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19699 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:32 pm »

I recently mentioned a guy I know on Facebook who was trying to argue that the road moves under a chicken.
Has he gone on to explain why the chicken was then on the other side of the road? That has baffled scientists and philosophers for ages. Even I have been rendered stumped about this perplexing matter. Why?

Did the world cease to move just on the other side by the chicken's mere force of will? Or was it fate that has cosmically aligned the world at that precise point underneath the chicken?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19700 on: January 07, 2011, 08:14:52 pm »

Obviously the Chicken is a Jedi.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #19701 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:04 pm »

I'm really having difficulty finding what to blame on him as this fear has been there longer than I remember and it was mostly due to this that a lot of the issues have popped up.

Is it possible it's just a form of respect?

I have a very similar feeling with my father, but it isn't out of abuse or anything like that. My home life is rather great. It's just that I have this overwhelming fear of letting him down, so I don't. Granted, there's not much I could do to let him down, but still. Maybe it stems from a parenting technique, like when I was very young and complained in a store once that I wanted another toy (sure happens to some of us when we're that young and have no concept of money), he told me to stop complaining or else he'd take back all the toys. I kept complaining. So he drove the buggy back around the store, forcing me to take everything out of the cart and put it back on the shelf where I got it from. Needless to say, I never did that again. A couple other situations similar to that happened, but his technique is literally that if you cross the lines, your world crashes down around you. I've grown up to respect my father's position and seek his praise.

Maybe it stems from that rather than something that's hurtful?

A friend is upset. They like to brag and tease and generally be themself about things unrestricted. Then I say some comment about some petty thing that ticks them off for some reason. I'm getting a large gut response to stand up for myself and say "Look, you get free reign to be yourself. I look over things you say that would offend me because I know you are not serious, and that they are petty things to be angry about. I shouldn't have to change myself for a friend over such a situation." I don't know how well this would work though, and while fair it doesn't really work with human emotions.

Totally not enough information to really comment, but I've gotten similar feelings. Usually I don't blow up in their face. I do rage in my mind a little, think about it, then go talk to them. When the issue's brought up, I guide the conversation to lead them to understanding that their stance is illogical or hypocritical.

Such as, when I had parties at my house with a group of friends that really doesn't like my other group of friends (we were all once buddies but shit went down mid-high-school, drama ensued, now it's just 'we don't like eachother'), two girls from the other group called me and told me they thought I was really flaky and lame and hurtful and whatnot because I never told them about the parties and I always offered right after to have a party for them after they found out. The thing was that I always had planned to have parties for both groups, just spaced out so I contacted people at different times. They were miffed because I didn't tell them about the parties, which I thought was really stupid. "Realize what you're asking: You want me to come talk to you or call you on the phone and say: 'Hey, I'm having a party with these guys. You're not invited, I just wanted to tell you I'm having one. Bye.'" They understood that their position had no foundation, they were asking something rather silly, and just dropped it.

Maybe it's something like that. Again, though, really can't tell from your post. Hope things work out for you though.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19702 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:27 pm »

Today I realized that the program that we'll be using for audio editing in my Computer Art class not only wouldn't run on my computer anyway, but also is only for OS X. I don't have OS X, nor do I have the money to buy a Mac or the time to spend in my college's computer lab where they have approximately eight Macs that are, most of the time, taken. Also, I've never used OS X.

What program is it?
On that note, Audacity.
Open-source audio editing.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #19703 on: January 07, 2011, 10:16:47 pm »

No.  1, I'm not an atheist; 2, I'm trying to have fun telling him why he's wrong, not sending him to another grinding unwinnable internet war
Your religion is irrelevant, but from what you've said of your friend, he appears to be a creationist (it's that or he thinks that the solid state theory is true). Even his religion is irrelevant, because we talked about the big bang a lot in there. There's plenty of evidence for him there. And hey, if you send him off there, he'll be too busy to bother you, right? :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19704 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:03 am »

Dear female roommate:

You may not use my pots and pans without my permission.  Adopting my pot for your personal usage and leaving it on the stove, complete with leftover leaves from your brussel sprout breakfast--and not even washing it when you're done--is inappropriate.  I washed that pot for a reason, you know.  The reason I washed it was because I wanted to put it away and get it out of your clutches.  Apparently this is futile, and I will have to make sure I get up earlier than you do so that it will be washed, dried, and in my personal dish space for tomorrow morning.  If it takes getting up at four, I'll do that.  My pots are my pots, not yours.

My teapot is on the stove all day because I am ingesting tea all day.  It's on the back burner, which isn't very convenient for cooking anyway, especially because most people other than me seem to live on microwaved horrors, takeout, and boiled greenery.  You leave my pot--with your cooked leafy vegetable remnants--on the front burner all day, precisely where anyone who wants to cook is going to put a pan.  Does this seem rude to you?

It is impolite to use up all of the toilet paper without replacing the roll.  You have done this twice, now.  The extra rolls are right there.  Unless you're incapable of bending about a foot to the right, I'm not entirely sure what your excuse for this one is.

If you put your breakfast down the garbage disposal, why don't you run it?  I was somewhat shocked this morning by the sight of your cornflakes and bananas.  I suppose we both found them rather unappetizing.

There is a difference between leaving out some papers on the dining room table, which no one uses, and leaving your dirty silverware and disgusting empty takeout containers all over the limited counter space.  That is disgusting.  I don't care how little time you have, it is inappropriate to leave that gunk on the counter--and even more so for a woman who is probably at least thirty-five years old.  I have an excuse.  I am twenty, new to cooking in general, and still sometimes forget things in the heat of a stir-fried moment.  You are not twenty, and there is a difference between leaving an empty, clean box on a table and spewing empty Chinese takeout boxes, still caked with yellow-green gunk, all over the small amount of available counter space.  Overnight and, in fact, for about 24 hours.

Also, you laugh like a retarded child.

Love and bites on the face,

~Vector
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19705 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:11 am »

The family life/job/responsible adult thing is driving me nuts for some reason right now. Some days, I really like it, and am really in tune with it. Other days, it's like running a coil of barbed wire across my face.

Days like today, I just want to run and never look back, but I can't. The only thing keeping me here is my daughter (even though I don't particularly want to be a parent on days like today), and that makes me very, very sad.

I'm so selfish. ;_;

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19706 on: January 08, 2011, 01:28:52 am »

Vector, you do know that the correct way of dealing with this kind of problems is to get drunk with the person that annoys you, and tell each other what is your problem openly?(you might want to skip the laughing part, though)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19707 on: January 08, 2011, 01:30:40 am »

If it takes getting up at four, I'll do that.  My pot is my pot, not yours.

I'm sorry, but this is how I first read that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19708 on: January 08, 2011, 01:33:47 am »

You misread.
I'm not getting it either.  "In your college diploma"?
Class, dorm or any other location rather than object or concept would be suitable. This is just... surreal. Unless he meant to edit it quickly.
Perhaps they were involved in it's creation/signing?
Oh derp. Forgot that I was in england and my usage of diploma is different. As in class.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19709 on: January 08, 2011, 01:34:28 am »

Now I understand.

Ignore them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 8167