Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473944 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19620 on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:25 pm »

Just got back from registering for classes. I failed last semesters algebra class. I need to submit a forum and wait 24 hours for it to be approved before I can even take another math class again. If I don't pass this time I won't be able to graduate.

And yet, that isn't the worst part. The worst part is telling my dad. He is not a reasonable man, and is confused easily when something shocking like "I failed" is uttered.

I'm seriously considering running away for a night or two just to drive home how seriously I'm taking this, as that seems to be the one senseless thing he always says when he's angry.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19621 on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:05 pm »

texture mapping
Signature goes here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19622 on: January 06, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »

Goddammit.  My virus scanner can't find the (obvious) virus.

Blergh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19623 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »

Goddammit.  My virus scanner can't find the (obvious) virus.

Blergh.

I've seen that happen. Try different scanners just in case.

Back when I had XP I had been invaded by virut for months without me realizing anything (beyond periodic massive slowdowns) was wrong, because avira failed to detect it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19624 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:36 pm »

Well, I managed to find at least one website that knows what it is, so I'm working on finding tools to expunge the dratted thing.

I'm lucky that it's stupid enough not to know about the guest account >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19625 on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »

I think MalwareBytes cleared up an instance of adware that my brother got on our old computer.  Combined with a bit of expert-guided nuking of specific files, it was eventually fixed...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19626 on: January 06, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »

Yeah, I'm downloading that as we speak.  Die, virus, die >:[

EDIT: Greetings from safe mode.  Looks like there may have been only 4 infected files... well, thus far.  However, the scanner's gone through some 50,000, so I figure that's pretty good.

Hoohoohoo.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:29:17 pm by Vector »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19627 on: January 06, 2011, 02:01:49 pm »

gah, I have failed in my recent attempts at drawing. I may need to go back to some proper tutorials.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19628 on: January 06, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19629 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »

what virus did you catch?

It's just called "antivirus scan."  So it's not an actual virusy virus so much as hijacking scareware, because when you get to your login screen it won't let you run anything (says the file is "infected").  It also hijacks your internet and won't let you visit any site but the one it prefers, opens up a bunch of windows, blah blah.

Anyway, it's about to be gone :I  Good riddance, too.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #19630 on: January 06, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »

I'm seriously considering running away for a night or two just to drive home how seriously I'm taking this, as that seems to be the one senseless thing he always says when he's angry.

I'm pretty sure that will be something seen as completely immature and egocentric and will work the complete opposite of how you intend.

I don't know how your family works, but if I ever need to say something that would be disappointing, I usually open up discussion about it, explain all of the things about it FIRST and then hit home with the conclusion. That approach works well with my father, as when he gets the news he's automatically informed of everything I wanted to explain and can't make many assumptions. Then again, I'm thorough and he's understanding.

Best of luck however that goes.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19631 on: January 06, 2011, 02:42:46 pm »

It's just called "antivirus scan."  So it's not an actual virusy virus so much as hijacking scareware, because when you get to your login screen it won't let you run anything (says the file is "infected").  It also hijacks your internet and won't let you visit any site but the one it prefers, opens up a bunch of windows, blah blah.
Hey, that's kindof like the adware I had.  Are the alerts you get poorly spelt too?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19632 on: January 06, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »

No, they were actually surprisingly clean--there was only one grammatical error, probably something involving a misplaced "the."

Hah.  Almost gone, now.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19633 on: January 06, 2011, 02:48:38 pm »

Screw that Dad Duke, why do people have to grow up with unreasonable parents all the time.  I don't really know what else to say because I don't ever have parent troubles.  Damn Shinji.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19634 on: January 06, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »

Hope it goes well Duke.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 8167