Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475231 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19590 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:47 pm »

The fact that there is a thread about "the surrent state of the forum", the fact that a few people don't like how not siris bisniss the forum is, and a few other factors made me sad
Both ends have their crazies. From the idea that we shouldn't be moderated at all to the idea that we should have a whole moderatorship structure and multi-form hyperrules. It's actually starting to look a lot like politics, with Anarchists and whatever the heck the other side is duking it out via forum proxy. Truly this is tomorrows political battleground.
Madness Vs. Order?
Who gets to be Sheogorath and who gets to be Jyggalag?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19591 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »

The fact that there is a thread about "the surrent state of the forum", the fact that a few people don't like how not siris bisniss the forum is, and a few other factors made me sad
Both ends have their crazies. From the idea that we shouldn't be moderated at all to the idea that we should have a whole moderatorship structure and multi-form hyperrules. It's actually starting to look a lot like politics, with Anarchists and whatever the heck the other side is duking it out via forum proxy. Truly this is tomorrows political battleground.
Madness Vs. Order?
Bureaucracy beats /b/ any day. Dibs on Jyggalag.
[/post]

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #19592 on: January 05, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

Madness Vs. Order?
Bureaucracy beats /b/ any day. Dibs on Jyggalag.
As in JyggalagPuff?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19593 on: January 05, 2011, 10:15:05 pm »

Can I just be some random guy from Dementia who suspects boths sides of being out to get me so stays in the middle?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19594 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »

I hate growing up.  I never used to notice how few women were in or teaching my classes, or feel lonely because of it.  I just didn't pay attention.

Now I do notice, and I'm scared, and I feel somehow responsible to make something of myself so that there will be someone there for other people, and they won't have to feel the same way.

What a mess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19595 on: January 05, 2011, 10:22:17 pm »

I hate growing up.  I never used to notice how few women were in or teaching my classes, or feel lonely because of it.  I just didn't pay attention.

Now I do notice, and I'm scared, and I feel somehow responsible to make something of myself so that there will be someone there for other people, and they won't have to feel the same way.

What a mess.
Huh? Isn't that a sign of change? Teaching used to be consitered a woman's job, or atleast last I checked it was.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19596 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:18 pm »

Not on a professorial level.  Not now, and not ever.  Especially not in mathematics.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19597 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »

Ah, my appologies for misunderstanding then.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19598 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »

Ah, my appologies for misunderstanding then.

Sorry for snapping at you--there's really no need to apologize.  I guess I'm just feeling pretty introspective right now, and it's making me cranky.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19599 on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:56 pm »

There's still a lingering gender-bias in professional education, though to be fair the staff of my school's Bio department is almost precisely 50% male and 50% female. The difference could be in the fields in question, though.

Anyway, that does give you a good opportunity to make education a fulfilling vocation for you; a chance to make a difference in people's lives, and make your slice of the world better for people. That's the best thing something can hope for in a job.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19600 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »

I am sad because I wrote less than three full pages of fiction for my island game and now my brain wants to melt. -.- I desperately need to get back into writing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19601 on: January 05, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »

I am sad because I wrote less than three full pages of fiction for my island game and now my brain wants to melt. -.- I desperately need to get back into writing.

Another pro-tip my friend: Don't try to write a full update at once, write each person's actions as they confirm a response, and fit other people into that.  I tried writing narrative updates for 15-person forum games myself all in one sitting.  It regularly took upwards of sixteen hours at a time, dominating a whole weekend, so I dreaded doing it, which pushed it later and made me look for excuses to not do it at all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19602 on: January 05, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

Biology is the scientific field with the greatest female presence.

Mathematics is something more like 2-3% (last time I checked, it was 7/119 professors listed for the Berkeley math department, or so).

Harvard has no female math professors.

... *sigh*

This should be bothering me a lot less than it is, because as-is it's bothering me a lot.

Yeah, my vocation is going to be quite fulfilling.  I almost wish it weren't going to be fulfilling in quite this way, though.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19603 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54:35 pm »

My schooling begins anew tomorrow.

Uraggg.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19604 on: January 06, 2011, 02:17:44 am »

My math.
At first, I thought I did it wrong.
Then I realised I had written secx as cscx.
Such a stupidly obvious mistake.
Grah.
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 8167