Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476469 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19530 on: January 05, 2011, 12:26:13 am »

Hey at least you get the points for being there.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19531 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:28 am »

Yep, need to sleep at least 4 hours for myself or I'll just miss it oversleeping.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19532 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:47 am »

This is becoming a problem for me.  Giant images and one-word posts have a way of irritating a large segment of the people here and are on the road to the total degeneracy that lead to the creation of the different boards in the first place.  If something made you happy/sad today, you should talk about that.  I've said this before, in these threads, and if you guys continue to ignore my attempts to keep this place in some kind of working order, I'm going to have to shut them down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19533 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:53 am »

Steam is having trouble connecting to Steam to log me in. I don't have problems with Steam that often, but it's incredibly annoying when problems do happen.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19534 on: January 05, 2011, 04:34:07 am »

Yep, need to sleep at least 4 hours for myself or I'll just miss it oversleeping.
Four hours later...

FUCK

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19535 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:33 am »

This makes me sad :(

Toady, what exactly would be the negative ramifications of just letting the chaos happen instead and encouraging people to moderate only what needs to be moderated (offensive, spam, that sort of thing)? Or maybe a sub-board specifically devoted to chaos? Because while a large number of users might be pressing the "Clutch Pearls" button, it seems that an even larger number of users want a fair approximation of anarchy.
Another VN, like he said in his post. And that would make me sad.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19536 on: January 05, 2011, 04:42:34 am »

This is becoming a problem for me.  Giant images and one-word posts have a way of irritating a large segment of the people here and are on the road to the total degeneracy that lead to the creation of the different boards in the first place.  If something made you happy/sad today, you should talk about that.  I've said this before, in these threads, and if you guys continue to ignore my attempts to keep this place in some kind of working order, I'm going to have to shut them down.

Toady, what exactly would be the negative ramifications of just letting the chaos happen instead and encouraging people to moderate only what needs to be moderated (offensive, spam, that sort of thing)? Or maybe a sub-board specifically devoted to chaos? Because while a large number of users might be pressing the "Clutch Pearls" button, it seems that an even larger number of users want a fair approximation of anarchy.

Because it irritates people? Because it generates a load of moderator reports? Because it alienates new people when they come to this forum and see a whole load of stream of consciousness nonsense and go 'well that's not really my thing'? There are reasons that most forums have rules against that sort of stuff, and they boil down to it basically leading to the entire forum just being clogged with stupid memes, in-jokes and clique-y nonsense, and not actual content or discussion.

Also, an atmosphere of lawlessness like that leads to people basically ignoring the rules that do exist, as I've seen quite a few times on this particular sub-forum. There's a reason Various Nonsense was deleted, and it wasn't because it annoyed some moderator reporting minority. It's because it was full the kind of behavior that nobody wants associated with an official forum for a product that provides 100% of their money, i.e. your 'fair approximation of anarchy'

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19537 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:48 am »

Another VN, like he said in his post. And that would make me sad.

To elaborate: a board, VN, once existed to house all the useless meaningless crap posts, to appease the masses and keep the garbage from seeping into the other sections of the forum. It increasingly became a pain to moderate as people tested the boundaries of what exactly could be posted there, until eventually it was shut down and purged permanently for generally horribleness. A prophecy was spoken, that when the time was right, VN would be born again. Since then the old souls of the forum have remained ever-vigilant against this threat.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19538 on: January 05, 2011, 05:05:11 am »

... I hate to say this, but I'm with you on this one, Nagash (sorry, still not using the Lord).

I feel like we had a healthy balance oh, about nine to twelve months or so ago, when we were mostly talking about things that made us happy and things that made us sad.  Right now, it seems like a lot of people are using these boards as a sort of IM service.

I suppose what I mean is that perhaps, when one gets an urge to start spewing silly one-word posts and all the other... weird... that tends to be generated around here, one might hop off to IRC or some other similar place, rather than stuffing it in these threads.

My only disagreement with you is that we shouldn't have either thread in the first place, as I feel that they provide a lot of productive community discussion when used correctly.  You know, with posts that have paragraphs and so on.

Meh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19539 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:15 am »

... I hate to say this, but I'm with you on this one, Nagash (sorry, still not using the Lord).

I feel like we had a healthy balance oh, about nine to twelve months or so ago, when we were mostly talking about things that made us happy and things that made us sad.  Right now, it seems like a lot of people are using these boards as a sort of IM service.

I suppose what I mean is that perhaps, when one gets an urge to start spewing silly one-word posts and all the other... weird... that tends to be generated around here, one might hop off to IRC or some other similar place, rather than stuffing it in these threads.

My only disagreement with you is that we shouldn't have either thread in the first place, as I feel that they provide a lot of productive community discussion when used correctly.  You know, with posts that have paragraphs and so on.

Meh.

That's okay, the lord is only for formal occasions.

Anyway, if I was moderating this forum I'd probably mellow out to allow the happy thread and the sad thread, as broad threads for both emotions. But that would be it. No 'Things that made you ambivalent today', 'Things that made you kind of annoyed but then you looked back and you realised you overreacted and then you felt kind of silly today' or 'Things that make you go hmmm'

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19540 on: January 05, 2011, 05:13:47 am »

You know, when I first joined, VN had been locked only a month or so prior, and hadn't been deleted yet. Unless everything that people talked about was deleted when it was locked, it seemed really... bland? I don't get the shock/outrage people make a show of displaying any time it's brought up (especially since, as I understand it, its purpose was to stop that sort of pointless garbage from shitting up the other forums).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19541 on: January 05, 2011, 05:14:16 am »

I don't think a new VN would be a good idea, from what I've heard about it. Whether you like it or not, if you start having boards like that people will start bleeding over into the other boards. Not to mention a board like that will most likely bring down the forum image anyways, and will put off new users.

To elaborate: a board, VN, once existed to house all the useless meaningless crap posts, to appease the masses and keep the garbage from seeping into the other sections of the forum. It increasingly became a pain to moderate as people tested the boundaries of what exactly could be posted there, until eventually it was shut down and purged permanently for generally horribleness. A prophecy was spoken, that when the time was right, VN would be born again. Since then the old souls of the forum have remained ever-vigilant against this threat.

What? What prophecy?

A fair approximation of anarchy leads to things like /b/. We don't want that.

And taking a step back, this is first and foremost a Bay12Games forum, dealing with DF. GD and its ilk are basically houseguests. We're not going to succeed in lobbying for increased anarchy or whatever, because that's not really what this is meant to be, and there isn't really any incentive for that.

The situation is probably quite a bit more worse that we think it is, because ThreeToe and Toady and all the secret invisible phantom mods are deleting a bunch of them and generally doing the best they can. Toady already mentioned that he's devoting a fair share of his time moderating the crap out of this place, and though I personally really appreciate the time and effort he's putting into this community I don't think it's far that we're hindering his progress this much.

Now as for the as few pages I'm starting to wonder what the hell happened here.

Meh.

I agree (well, maybe not about the months bit, because I was probably still in the DF boards then). That stuff is better off somewhere else. Not here. We're supposed to be eloquent and intelligent! What happened to that idea?

Meh.

That's okay, the lord is only for formal occasions.

Anyway, if I was moderating this forum I'd probably mellow out to allow the happy thread and the sad thread, as broad threads for both emotions. But that would be it. No 'Things that made you ambivalent today', 'Things that made you kind of annoyed but then you looked back and you realised you overreacted and then you felt kind of silly today' or 'Things that make you go hmmm'

From what I've seen, a fair share of those threads are by enterprising posters who though more of these would be a good idea.

Oh gawd 5 replies already this is getting out of hand. o_o

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19542 on: January 05, 2011, 05:19:24 am »

Ah-ha, then we're in perfect agreement, as it seems that most of the people here are.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19543 on: January 05, 2011, 05:19:54 am »

And this, my friends, is why we have IRC. for making one word posts and general chat that nobody needs to see after the first hour has passed.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19544 on: January 05, 2011, 05:23:54 am »

And this, my friends, is why we have IRC. for making one word posts and general chat that nobody needs to see after the first hour has passed.

Except I wouldn't allow most of this nonsense in the IRC channel either.
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 8167