Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9492398 times)

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19185 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:58 pm »

As a christmas present I was supposed to get an improved graphics card for my comuter (currently have a radeon x1300, ouch), so turns out we have this wierd compact computer which won`t take any improvements but new memory. Oh well.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19186 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »

Computer is having issues with the power box (don't know its real name) and will probably have to be sent back to the manufacturer. :-\

The power supply? That's a quick and easy fix. Look and see what the current one is rated at (unless you've got a heavy-duty gaming rig, it should be around 350-450 watts) and go buy one with the same rating or higher. Swap 'em out, hook up all the molex connectors (those cables with the big white plugs) and you're back in business.

Go with a good brand if you want to keep it going for a while. Not a lot of peeps bother with this ("Eh, it's just a PSU") but trust me, it matters.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19187 on: December 28, 2010, 02:12:04 pm »

Man, my computer gives off all kinds of odd smells.  At first I was afraid something was burning but no damage could be seen and no effects could be noticed while it was online either.  I guess it just has plasticky BO.

Isn't it a new build? Probably just that new (item) smell.

I love those smells.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19188 on: December 28, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

You mean that smell you get when you buy a new car? Eww, no.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19189 on: December 28, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »

Computer is having issues with the power box (don't know its real name) and will probably have to be sent back to the manufacturer. :-\

The power supply? That's a quick and easy fix. Look and see what the current one is rated at (unless you've got a heavy-duty gaming rig, it should be around 350-450 watts) and go buy one with the same rating or higher. Swap 'em out, hook up all the molex connectors (those cables with the big white plugs) and you're back in business.

Go with a good brand if you want to keep it going for a while. Not a lot of peeps bother with this ("Eh, it's just a PSU") but trust me, it matters.

This man speaks truth, seriously.

I've seen too many computers die from shoddy PSUs, as in, videocard and/or motherboard fried.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #19190 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »

Yes yes yes.

The Power supply is even MORE important than the motherboard. Since a bad power supply = EVERYTHING FRIED.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19191 on: December 28, 2010, 03:35:35 pm »

Yes yes yes.

The Power supply is even MORE important than the motherboard. Since a bad power supply = EVERYTHING FRIED.
SO VERY MUCH THIS.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19192 on: December 28, 2010, 04:28:54 pm »

Well my temp job with UPS is over with.  Time to find a new job again *sigh*

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19193 on: December 28, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »

Planehacked was scrambled.  Again.  No fixing it block by block this time either, it regenerated to nether terrain.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19194 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »

Depends on how low ones standards are for shoddy power supplies. You don't need to invest in a good one, just one that isn't suspicious. And isn't 20$ cheaper than everything else.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #19195 on: December 28, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »

You can choose you friends but not your family, but you can hate them.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19196 on: December 28, 2010, 05:26:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:53:32 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19197 on: December 28, 2010, 09:08:28 pm »

Scince when do they have one cord? Mine always had two.

Have you never seen a regular landline phone before in your life? Or do you live in some country that uses incredibly different standards from the US (which would be the first I've heard of it)? I'm not talking about cordless handsets, which obviously need more power to function. I'm talking about a regular touch-tone landline phone.

God, I feel old if people don't remember telephones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19198 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:36 pm »

A thread vanished before i finished my post.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19199 on: December 28, 2010, 09:13:46 pm »

Scince when do they have one cord? Mine always had two.

Have you never seen a regular landline phone before in your life? Or do you live in some country that uses incredibly different standards from the US (which would be the first I've heard of it)? I'm not talking about cordless handsets, which obviously need more power to function. I'm talking about a regular touch-tone landline phone.

God, I feel old if people don't remember telephones.

Nowadays, most phones (even corded ones) come with displays or similar that require power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 8167