Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499311 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18510 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:13 am »

I'll get off it when it stops being true. Twice now in different threads I've been asked 'If you don't agree why do you keep posting here??' which is a pretty good sign of a forum that discourages dissent by howling that whoever is disagreeing is a troll and hitting the report button.

Reports do not ban people.  The moderators ban people.  If you have a problem with their decisions, take it up with them.  Don't just whine here about it.

Except the moderators work by mod reports so again it falls back to incorrect reports. Or do you seriously think Toady and ThreeToe read every thread on every forum?

They certainly claim to do their research.  Keep running notes and and tallies and everything.  Go ahead, if you disagree that strongly then ask them about it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18511 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:31 am »

Except the moderators work by mod reports so again it falls back to incorrect reports. Or do you seriously think Toady and ThreeToe read every thread on every forum?

I certainly don't think they swing the banhammer without assessing the situation.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #18512 on: December 17, 2010, 05:26:41 am »

I'll get off it when it stops being true. Twice now in different threads I've been asked 'If you don't agree why do you keep posting here??' which is a pretty good sign of a forum that discourages dissent by howling that whoever is disagreeing is a troll and hitting the report button.

Reports do not ban people.  The moderators ban people.  If you have a problem with their decisions, take it up with them.  Don't just whine here about it.

They certainly claim to do their research.  Keep running notes and and tallies and everything.  Go ahead, if you disagree that strongly then ask them about it.

I wonder if they have a bulletin board in their home, with pictures of our names, avatars, and roles in the community dynamic, our relationships marked with lines.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18513 on: December 17, 2010, 05:30:37 am »

I've known people who did that.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18514 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:50 am »

I've known people who did that.

An anthropologist?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18515 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:54 am »

I wonder if they have a bulletin board in their home, with pictures of our names, avatars, and roles in the community dynamic, our relationships marked with lines.

You shouldn't wonder about things that are obviously true. I mean look at DF. Would it surprise you if Toady was that meticulous?

Yeah, Dasleah getting banned was not a SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT, but I enjoyed him dropping into threads and delivering a bitter tirade out of nowhere. I'm still interested in hearing an actual report of what thread got him banned and why, rather than vague allusions to the event by the people who were online at the time. Forum drama mans, I love it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18516 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:00 am »

Eh, while entertaining I could very easily see why he would be banned over the shit he stirred up. And ultimately there doesn't need to be any specific rules Toady needs to follow. If you disrupt the golden rule Aqizzar mentioned, be chill, then you'll be asked to stop. If you repeatedly do it and show that's who you are then you can't stay here.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18517 on: December 17, 2010, 06:07:59 am »

Sleep schedule was backwards today like before, still have another week and I still have a flu ugggghh bring tissues in pockets but I don't have tissues so I'll use toilet paper yesss.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:09:31 am by ToonyMan »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18518 on: December 17, 2010, 06:12:45 am »

And ultimately there doesn't need to be any specific rules Toady needs to follow.

wat
Shoes...

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18519 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:06 am »

And ultimately there doesn't need to be any specific rules Toady needs to follow.

That's... not how moderating a forum works.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18520 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:32 am »

I liked Dasleah... quirky fellow, with a keen brain. I was always secretly hoping that Pokethulu puzzle-game would be finished... it was pretty darned neat, and I love electronic ARG puzzles.

If you read this Dasleah, godspeed. You were a dood among doods, and you will be missed.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18521 on: December 17, 2010, 06:18:14 am »

Well... In an ipso facto sense, it is.  Being moderator of a forum you own is like the Divine Right of Kings.  Whatever Toady and Zach do, that's the rule, and they can make it up as they go along because they own the place.  Which isn't really "rules" at all, I guess.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18522 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:12 am »

Emphasis on specific. If they feel a guy is causing trouble without breaking any specific rule stated then they should still take action. The entire point of moderation is to keep things chill. If somebody is making things unchill consistently then it doesn't matter if they barely avoid the rules.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18523 on: December 17, 2010, 06:24:48 am »

Well... In an ipso facto sense, it is.  Being moderator of a forum you own is like the Divine Right of Kings.  Whatever Toady and Zach do, that's the rule, and they can make it up as they go along because they own the place.  Which isn't really "rules" at all, I guess.

I guess, but it's not going to be much fun owning it if there's no one there because everyone hates the forum.

Emphasis on specific. If they feel a guy is causing trouble without breaking any specific rule stated then they should still take action. The entire point of moderation is to keep things chill. If somebody is making things unchill consistently then it doesn't matter if they barely avoid the rules.

Okay, that's a bit better.  Yes, people who consistently cause a problem without actually breaking rules should be disciplined, but as far as I can tell there was no problem in that thread.  Presumably someone thought there was, but that might have been the "He disagrees with me he must be a troll" thing that's been going around lately.
Shoes...

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18524 on: December 17, 2010, 06:29:36 am »

Except nobody wants to post on a forum where they can get banned at a whim for something they didn't even know was against the rules, and people that run their forums like that are widely ridiculed (see: Tim Buckley)

But I don't think they'd run the forum like that. And mostly, I don't really have a problem with how they've moderated it in the past. But there's a big problem they're going to have to address sooner or later and that is the Dwarf Fortress community is continuing to grow, and it's already grown past the point where two people can really do any sort of proactive moderating in the sense that they read threads and enforce moderation outside of just responding to moderator reports, and nip problems in the bud before it gets to the point where someone has to get banned.

I'm sure they read some threads (the big ones on most forums like future of the fortress etc, the suggestion forum) but there are just too many forums and too many threads for two people to read them all, even if that was all they spent their day doing.

And I'm not just talking out of my ass here, either. We've experienced exactly the same thing in the bay12games IRC channel -we had to make the rules a lot less implied (basically before our rule was basically 'be chill' as well), and we had to take on more ops to deal with the growing size of the community. And we get a lot less of the flood of fans than the forums do.

Edit: unnecessary comma removed
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:31:39 am by LordNagash »
Pages: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 8168