Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499418 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18435 on: December 15, 2010, 09:54:59 pm »

Hmm... chemistry doesn't have to involve a huge amount of algebra, does it?  I mean, I've found that while in physics we tend to use it all the time for pretty much everything, chemistry tries to stick with word equations for things as much as possible.

Supposedly group theory has applications in chemistry by way of rotational symmetry.  That's (abstract) algebra.

Also, the farther you go in physics, the more math you'll use.  If you're using algebra for everything, you've only scratched the surface.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18436 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:27 pm »

Dunno what you mean about physics... no matter how deep the maths gets, it still probably involves algebra, doesn't it?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18437 on: December 15, 2010, 10:09:48 pm »

Dunno what you mean about physics... no matter how deep the maths gets, it still probably involves algebra, doesn't it?

I'd say I have a good propensity for low level maths (think High School), but my head tends to explode when I get onto tougher stuff.

I was just sayin'.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18438 on: December 15, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

Oh, right, yeah.

More a sortof "I don't think I'll be able to do maths at university level" than anything else.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18439 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »

I should be studying for this saturday's exam, not gnawing about last thursday's. But cant concentrate.

Also: finished reading the last book on the Witcher's saga. Downer ending.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18440 on: December 15, 2010, 10:33:34 pm »

More a sortof "I don't think I'll be able to do maths at university level" than anything else.

Most of it's actually not bad.  In fact, it can be fun and interesting, especially the more abstract stuff.

Don't take any more calculus than necessary, though.  Calculus is terrible, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  >:(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18441 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37:37 pm »

I hated my Calculus II class.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18442 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:16 pm »

Most of it's actually not bad.  In fact, it can be fun and interesting, especially the more abstract stuff.

Don't take any more calculus than necessary, though.  Calculus is terrible, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  >:(
What!? Multi-variable calculus was my favorite math class yet!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18443 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:11 pm »

Turns out there's a LOT of kids in my grade that have done/do drugs. Rather a pity, really.
You mean you don't?!
I've run into that issue too with high school and college friends... they even say all the drug education we got in school is nothing more than propaganda.

They're basically right.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18444 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:00 pm »

Also, the farther you go in physics, the more math you'll use.  If you're using algebra for everything, you've only scratched the surface.
Aye, the Physics 110 class I'm taking right now is meant to use only algebra and below, but next year it's supposed to be more calculus-ful.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18445 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:21 pm »

Turns out there's a LOT of kids in my grade that have done/do drugs. Rather a pity, really.
You mean you don't?!
I've run into that issue too with high school and college friends... they even say all the drug education we got in school is nothing more than propaganda.

They're basically right.
Not that it works. One of my classes took a secret poll. About 47% smoked weed reguarly, 40% never did, and only 13% did so irreguarly. Nice work there, War on Drugs, billions of dollars well spent. ::)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18446 on: December 16, 2010, 12:06:49 am »

I remember that thing. With my high school a significant majority smoked regularly. This explained a few things.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18447 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:26 am »

I have never understood why people start smoking... Sure, it's addictive eventually, but by all accounts the first time can easily make you nauseous. Why keep smoking after THAT? There aren't any benefits whatsoever to it...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #18448 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:46 am »

I have never understood why people start smoking... Sure, it's addictive eventually, but by all accounts the first time can easily make you nauseous. Why keep smoking after THAT? There aren't any benefits whatsoever to it...

From experience there are basically two reasons. What you tell yourself (because it relieves stress) and the truth (because it makes you cool).

Neither of which is true.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18449 on: December 16, 2010, 02:15:51 am »

Peer pressure of one kind or another is the main part, and second hand smoke can have the same addictive power over time. It's nastiness can actually be used by those sources of pressure, as a kind of test of adulthood. Heh, perfect example of the C.S. Lewis quote that the Forum learned a little while ago.

Predit: "Ninja'd" because I went hunting for the semi-useless link.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 8168