Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500129 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18405 on: December 15, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

If it's one day overdue, there's a $160 fine.  The book costs $180 new, and $92 to rent.

I know what business I want to be in.  Who knew book lending was such a cash cow?

Also,
Buy it used.

Added bonus:  When you're done with it, you can lend it out for half Berkley's lending price and charge half their fine when it's overdue.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18406 on: December 15, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »

Used, it costs $99 + shipping, and frankly I don't actually want to own it.

On the other hand, it might be worth it =/  Guess I need to think a little.

Even on Half.com/Ebay?  That's the only way to buy textbooks that isn't a complete scam, and as a bonus, sometimes you can get the cut-rate international editions that aren't supposed to be sold in the US (because then it wouldn't be a scam).

God I hate the textbook system.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18407 on: December 15, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »

Buy it used.

Added bonus:  When you're done with it, you can lend it out for half Berkley's lending price and charge half their fine when it's overdue.
I wouldn't be suprised if there was a rule against that or somthing. Got to keep your monopoly strong, you know?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18408 on: December 15, 2010, 04:41:50 pm »

Alternatively, just shanghai a copy of the text from some disreputable sorts and print a copy.

The bastards make more than enough profit from the books anyway, screw 'em.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: December 15, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »

Even on Half.com/Ebay?  That's the only way to buy textbooks that isn't a complete scam

Previous students in a course are ususally more than willing to accept less for their books. This only works if the professor doesn't change the book between semesters though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18410 on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »

Buy it used.

... Ho ho ho!  You are much more savvy than I am.  This sounds like a good thing to do with my anger-inducing linear algebra textbook, too...

Even on Half.com/Ebay?  That's the only way to buy textbooks that isn't a complete scam, and as a bonus, sometimes you can get the cut-rate international editions that aren't supposed to be sold in the US (because then it wouldn't be a scam).

God I hate the textbook system.

Half.com: $92 used is the best I can find.

So, I may try that, but they're still assholes.

To be honest, some texts are actually worth the money.  I spent about $150 on an enormous textbook I'll probably be using for the rest of my life, and in general Springer-Verlag is very, very good about book quality/price.  The man who wrote the fundamental analysis text everyone buys managed to argue with his publishers to decrease the price... mathematicians really want their work out there, teaching students.  I'm not fond of Houghton-Mifflin, though, because it's like "quick, print a new edition and fuck over some more students" is their middle name.

Even on Half.com/Ebay?  That's the only way to buy textbooks that isn't a complete scam

Previous students in a course are ususally more than willing to accept less for their books. This only works if the professor doesn't change the book between semesters though.

This textbook isn't one of the typical ones used at Berkeley, nor is it one of the mainstream intro texts.  That, and Berkeley is so honking big that it's really hard to get connected with other students.

On the other hand, I suddenly have a website idea.

EDIT: found a copy for $65.  Thank you, International Edition >_>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:53:11 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: December 15, 2010, 05:12:18 pm »

Oh yeah!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18412 on: December 15, 2010, 05:33:33 pm »

Oh yeah!

Nah, I'm not buying from them... changed my mind.  I don't exactly trust the site.  It was streamlined and their English was good, yeah, but I'd rather not go with a zero-reputation place.  Also, they were offering paperback only, which would mean the book would be basically dead in half a year--I'm bothering to buy the text, so I figure I should actually pay out a little bit more money to make it last.

Anyway, I'm paying $95 (including shipping) to get it from someone in the US, hardback.  Not too shabby, especially because this is probably the best textbook available from its tier.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18413 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »

I'm got back into World of Warcraft. I'd been playing on a private server for quite a while before quitting after realizing that private servers suck. So after figuring out that a few of my friends have accounts I went out and bought the game.

Flash forward a month or so and I've gained 15 pounds and I'm still only level 40 (I'm an alt-oholic.) This game is doing terrible things to me.

:(

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #18414 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:27 pm »

I kniw this is a little late but:

Fred, the internet (apparently) phenomenon, is getting a film.

I... I don't know what to do anymore, I don't want to go on.

I had so much hope for humanity in this dark time. But, it then does this!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18415 on: December 15, 2010, 06:23:17 pm »

Fred may be bad, but at least there's somthing of value to him. That being total insanity, but I digress. Humanity will be fine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #18416 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:45 pm »

Humanity will never be fine...

But thats how I want it, so I don't feel bad at how hard I end up crasing and burning =P
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18417 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

Nah, I'm not buying from them... changed my mind.  I don't exactly trust the site.  It was streamlined and their English was good, yeah, but I'd rather not go with a zero-reputation place.  Also, they were offering paperback only, which would mean the book would be basically dead in half a year--I'm bothering to buy the text, so I figure I should actually pay out a little bit more money to make it last.

Anyway, I'm paying $95 (including shipping) to get it from someone in the US, hardback.  Not too shabby, especially because this is probably the best textbook available from its tier.
It seems a bit... ridiculous?  I mean, if it's vital, can't they add it to the library?

Although I do live near one of the biggest university libraries there is, so perhaps I'm not very well placed to judge :P.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18418 on: December 15, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

It seems a bit... ridiculous?  I mean, if it's vital, can't they add it to the library?

Although I do live near one of the biggest university libraries there is, so perhaps I'm not very well placed to judge :P.

Public university, dearest >_>

The library has two copies, and at least 20 students need a copy of the book.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18419 on: December 15, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »

Survival of the fittest. Beat them away with one copy of the book, saving the other for study.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 8168