Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9508121 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #17820 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »

Ever since the Cold War we have been predicting our own demise. Whatever man. We can make it through it through dumb luck and misinformation.

Edit: Well fuck, I knew this day would eventually come. Before I never mentioned I was a Unificationist because, well, it never really needed to be said really. And usually when I say it people just reply with "A what?" Now mentioning it on the internet will have this article in the back of peoples minds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:07:42 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17821 on: December 06, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »

That link is killing itself whenever I click read more.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17822 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »

I'm posting here for my mother, as she is extremely sad about everything and many things right now. She left the house focused on the thing that I am too metaphorically heartless to offer her any of the companionship kinds she hoped for when raising kids, along with the fact that I'm ridiculously abrasive. Since my sister has been away from the house more often than not, and offers a similar sociopathic relationship anyway, I think that, tonight, Mom is on her last vestiges of sanity. Luckily, she's the sort that will delve into some kind of pointless, degrading distraction (although a certain one is almost guaranteed) rather than attempting suicide.
 I'm going to see if I can mimic any hearty responses here, but I'm certain her internet paranoia will cause trouble if she learns people on the internet know anything about her, starting with her existence.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17823 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

You're... posting to get sympathy so you can parrot the sympathy to your mother?

Just making sure we're clear on this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17824 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »

I'm posting here for my mother, as she is extremely sad about everything and many things right now. She left the house focused on the thing that I am too metaphorically heartless to offer her any of the companionship kinds she hoped for when raising kids, along with the fact that I'm ridiculously abrasive. Since my sister has been away from the house more often than not, and offers a similar sociopathic relationship anyway, I think that, tonight, Mom is on her last vestiges of sanity. Luckily, she's the sort that will delve into some kind of pointless, degrading distraction (although a certain one is almost guaranteed) rather than attempting suicide.
 I'm going to see if I can mimic any hearty responses here, but I'm certain her internet paranoia will cause trouble if she learns people on the internet know anything about her, starting with her existence.
Bob Marley, man.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17825 on: December 06, 2010, 09:34:47 pm »

You're... posting to get sympathy so you can parrot the sympathy to your mother?

Just making sure we're clear on this.
Even psychopaths can have a heart.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17826 on: December 06, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by that.
Uh, does it seem rather than tell the internet your mother is unhappy, you should like....talk to her about it, or do something? I don't really understand the circumstances, but it doesn't seem terribly useful to tell people your mother is unhappy, then wave it away with a fairly-condescending "she'll distract herself?"

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17827 on: December 06, 2010, 09:42:05 pm »

"Distract herself" isn't as bad as suicide, but is still a rather bad thing for her to do, since the more she does it the more unhappy she actually becomes.
Yeah, I have spoken with her at least a couple hundred times about our lives and times, and it tends to end in her crying, becoming angry with me, or phasing out literally everything except her chosen distraction. One of the main topics that has her angry is my attempts to get her to sleep for more than 2 hours a night. Although, she doesn't have any problem taking food and water when she's miserable.

[...]
Bob Marley, man.
Could you tell me how that applies here? Not caring tends to cause collapses in the life around here.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:43:50 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17828 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »

Yeah, I have spoken with here at least a couple hundred times about our lives and times, and it tends to end in her crying, becoming angry with me, or phasing out literally everything except her chosen distraction. One of the main topics that has her angry is my attempts to get her to sleep for more than 2 hours a night. Although, she doesn't have any problem taking food and water when she's miserable.

I'd personally suggest listening and offering sympathy rather than making judgments, when you speak to her.  Ask questions.  Don't try to fix her problems, or change her mind--just listen.

Remember, crying can be good or bad. 
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17829 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:16 pm »

Well...alright. I guess the next step is... what could I ask that doesn't make a judgment or can be interpreted as a ploy to change her mind? What questions can only be seen as an invitation to talk, rather than trying to pry out answers she would prefer to keep hidden. I'm still not sure how to word it right, but there tends be a lot of "careful diplomacy" when we're still at the just talking stage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17830 on: December 06, 2010, 09:56:33 pm »

Oh, it's just... stuff like "Oh, you feel x about y.  How do you feel about z?" where z is a related subject to y.  Or maybe you occasionally say "wow, that's really tough"--but you have to understand it and feel it.  Maybe you just say "can I help you with anything" or offer her some tea, outside of the conversation.  You might try practicing on other people, first.

Sympathy is problem-specific, which is why it's pretty hard to tell you how precisely to sympathize with your mom on issues you haven't aired.  I'm not saying you should air them.  I'm saying it's a system you'll probably have to take a while to pick up, but it will help in the long run.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17831 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:01 pm »

I will try.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17832 on: December 06, 2010, 10:09:44 pm »

I'm getting a creeping feeling that my motherboard is at fault here. This is bad, as everything you can do to fix said problems either involve incredibly risky procedures involving floppy disks or buying a new motherboard, neither of which are very appealing to me. Particularly the first, as we don't have working floppy drives in the house anymore and I don't know if we have a working CD burner. And damn Motherboards are expensive, and I don't even know if all the other junk I have will be compatible. I barely had the funds for the 50$ graphics card as it was.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17833 on: December 06, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »

I'm absolutely beat, and nearly fell asleep at my desk a minute ago. Got to finish a bit more writing tonight, so I can spend tomorrow studying for cumulative Bio finals. Must find perseverance! *shakes fist*

I'm going to need some heavy-duty tea before the end of the night, and maybe some ice-cream too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17834 on: December 07, 2010, 12:53:43 am »

I'm absolutely beat, and nearly fell asleep at my desk a minute ago. Got to finish a bit more writing tonight, so I can spend tomorrow studying for cumulative Bio finals. Must find perseverance! *shakes fist*

I'm going to need some heavy-duty tea before the end of the night, and maybe some ice-cream too.

This, except that I'm going to spend the entire night writing and shaking from tea-jiggles, because I'm going to have to break out the tea I promised myself I'd never drink again.

Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 8168