Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499821 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #16080 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:00 pm »

Just cleaned up a thread made of like six pages of people posting dicks. And then the people who posted them were outraged that I removed them, complaining that there was no issue that we are fascist prudes for stopping their fun.
 I'm getting rather steamed about minecraft again, particularly the fan reaction to Notch showing how user created mods that add content instead of editing it is a legally gray area. That reaction being "Notch, we are disappoint. We'll leave minecraft if you take actions to keep your game from being open-source."

I need to murder something.
This is why I keep trying to stop using that forum.

Also my voice degenerated into a  monotone growl today, and I couldn't speak up. It made me sound like I was threatening everyone, and/or going to violently end myself.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:43 pm »

And you haven't dropped the course because...?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: November 10, 2010, 04:37:13 pm »

I believe that's one less professor that would be teaching by the time I was done. If that was me. That kind of behavior towards a student is simply not acceptable.

He's 79 years old  ::)  He'll be dead soon enough, and there's people in his class who have been taking it for 5-10 years.  I don't feel like trying to torch his career right at the end, especially because it seems many of the students use it as a sort of support group.

I wouldn't want to go back there after this.
Not even sure how I would deal with this kind of situation.

Personally, I'm just going to put my ignoring-cannons on "auto," go back to Berkeley, and live a successful life.

And you haven't dropped the course because...?

Needed somewhere to socialize.  They only started being really bad over the past bit.  For the first part, they were pretty complimentary and nice, outgoing people.  Now they told us to start working on memoir stuff, and the personal attacks have begun =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: November 10, 2010, 04:46:10 pm »

Just cleaned up a thread made of like six pages of people posting dicks. And then the people who posted them were outraged that I removed them, complaining that there was no issue that we are fascist prudes for stopping their fun.
lol minecraft forums

I'm getting rather steamed about minecraft again, particularly the fan reaction to Notch showing how user created mods that add content instead of editing it is a legally gray area. That reaction being "Notch, we are disappoint. We'll leave minecraft if you take actions to keep your game from being open-source."

I need to murder something.
For the record, he didn't actually show anything, he made an offhand comment of extremely dubious legal force. Considering there's no protection on the minecraft client except for "if you can't log in you can't download it", reverse engineering anything in it wouldn't fall under the DMCA, and even if there was copy protection on it it still wouldn't get covered by american law, Notch's company being a small Swedish indie studio, though I must confess to not being familiar with European law regarding reverse engineering. There's not even a matter of contract law to fall back on (which, if I recall correctly, is what is generally used to shut down mods and hacks), since the minecraft client lacks any contract or TOS when installing.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: November 10, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »

Personally, I'm just going to put my ignoring-cannons on "auto"[...]

That's usally my prefered course of action, if people are acting unreasonably/childish or simply can't be argued with.
Worked for the greater part of my life.
Not so much in the past few weeks.

Probably need to compile a bigger post about that here, as soon as the weekend begins.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: November 10, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

I believe that's one less professor that would be teaching by the time I was done. If that was me. That kind of behavior towards a student is simply not acceptable.

He's 79 years old  ::)  He'll be dead soon enough, and there's people in his class who have been taking it for 5-10 years.  I don't feel like trying to torch his career right at the end, especially because it seems many of the students use it as a sort of support group.

Ah, never mind then. Dude probably has enough tenure that he'd have to be caught snorting blow out of a dead hooker's navel to lose his job.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »

Ah, never mind then. Dude probably has enough tenure that he'd have to be caught snorting blow out of a dead hooker's navel to lose his job.
With as much tenure as he probably has, I doubt they could fire him for anything. Which is good for him. Don't mess with old people, there's nothing you can do to truly harm them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »

I'm slightly sad/annoyed that the short novel I entered into a competition was rejected for being 'Too Dark'.
*Hugs*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: November 10, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »

I'm slightly sad/annoyed that the short novel I entered into a competition was rejected for being 'Too Dark'.

What was it about? The novel I mean.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: November 10, 2010, 05:12:27 pm »

Oh the irony.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: November 10, 2010, 05:14:35 pm »

Okay, short version leaving out about 95% of the detail: Two vampires meet, fall in love. Time passes, vampire 1's sire betrays her to hunters and she's publicly executed. Vampire 2 goes slightly batshit and hunts down the hunters one by one and brutally murders them, she then finds the traitorous sire and tortures him to death before committing suicide.
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: November 10, 2010, 05:17:21 pm »

Could you post it?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: November 10, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »

Umm, I guess so, I'll try and get it typed up next time I'm on a pc
*Hugs*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: November 10, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »

Was it a halloween story competition as that would have worked well.

The torture part might have turned people off about it.

Could you post it?

Well, this IS dwarf fortress, so it should be fine. I'm interested too.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:56 pm »

It was just a normal competition, compared to what I usually write, it's not that disturbing.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 8168