Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415178 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15675 on: November 03, 2010, 01:57:00 pm »

So.  Sometime ago, I renewed my subscription to WoW and started on a different server to play with some friends of mine.  They said that if I could each 80 soon, I could join in their 10 man raids, which I've never done before.  I reached 80 sometime ago, and by then they had all left for Darkfall.  *applause*
come play Ryzom. we'll let you join in the 50 man wars when you reach 250.

it may take a few months though....

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: November 03, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »

Oh, I found a chilling comic a few days ago on Reddit that I totally forgot to link here.

WHAT HAPPENED ARG.
It's hard to say.
We know that the successful brother shot a wolf, and claimed it was the monster. We know that the unsuccesful brother claims to have killed his brother, but we never see the act, only the aftermath of his brother being dumped into that hole. The deep, deep hole in the middle of the forest, which is suspicious by its own. We know that three days later, somthing that looked like the succesful brother came out of the woods wearing an intact coat, somthing that shouldn't have been possible. We know that the thing claiming to be his brother won't look the unsuccesful brother in the eye, and digs at night while the unsuccesful brother has nightmares. We know that somthing looking like the succesful brother's dead body was at the bottom at the hole, and it freaking turned to look at the unsuccesful brother when he climbed down to check on it.

I think the hole has somthing to do with it. While the tale of "The Monster In The Woods" is present, I suspect it to be a red herring, as the "monster" is discribed as doing nothing that a particuarly hungry lone wolf could not do. The hole is the first real strange element, smelling of lilacs. There's no reason for that, but lilacs show up twice before, once at the succesful brother's home and once in the woods. I don't know why.

I think that the unsuccesful brother murdered the successful brother to get his stuff, ands the hole was the real problem. Note that in the page before the brother's corpse is seen, his body kind of looks like the wolf he killed. I think that, perhaps, if a dead body of anything ends up in that hole, three days later a malicious facsimile is created. The original wolf fell into the hole by mistake and died. Three days later, the copy wolf was created and began hunting down animals simply to do so, not for food. The original brother was murdered and thrown in the hole. Three days later, the copy brother was created and came back to drive the unsuccesful brother back to the hole to check. There, the brother's corpse was animated by the hole and killed the unsuccesful brother, scoring the hole another victim.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:34:38 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: November 03, 2010, 03:32:21 pm »

There's definitely some interesting memes at work there.

Resurrection after three days?
A hole/vessel that brings the dead back to life, but changed?
There's even sibling fratricide stemming out of jealousy, and the slain brother is a pastoralist.

I actually like that it's left deliberately vague, because then your mind wanders all over these familiar themes, leaving you feeling like you have an idea of what's going on, but not quite.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »

Not really happy with the election, not sure why anyone would vote for a party who's stated goal is "To fuck up the economy and stonewall all progress."

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:15 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:54:13 pm by Euld »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:15 pm »

Scary comic.

I had a dream a few days ago before I thought of this thread.

I dreamed that a girl I liked slept with another guy. That wasn't a fun dream. *shudders*
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: November 03, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »

Writing the outline for this "memoir-novel" thing, for the novel class.  It's just homework, but somehow I can't help tears coming to my eyes.  Partially because I miss school, partially because I can't believe I was so deluded, and partially because I got a lot more upset over trivial things than I should have.

Bleh.  It's hard to remember the days right after you fell for someone, and the days when you first met a beloved mentor.  I miss them all.

The other thing I've realized is that college will end eventually.  My mentor will die.  My friends will die.  This is all going to come to an end, some day, as somehow I never thought it would.  That's a good incentive to live honestly.  Sometimes, I think that the affection I express for people comes off odd.  I love them, simply out of principle.  I have no reason to hate anyone.  I don't want to scare people.  Love shouldn't do bad things.

Meh.  Ramble ramble ramble rant rant rant.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:22 pm »

The Fed is buying its own bonds. Hurp-derp Keynesian economics. :(
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

Love everyone!  <3

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: November 03, 2010, 10:20:23 pm »

Be all you can be, to your most fulfilling definition of all!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: November 03, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:04:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: November 03, 2010, 10:21:44 pm »

Have you already done it, or are you just really not confident about it?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:34 pm »

Love everyone!  <3

I love you, ToonyMan ~ <3

Be all you can be, to your most fulfilling definition of all!

Yes, I shall do this thing!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: November 03, 2010, 10:30:17 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:05:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: November 03, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »

Guess what I found out today‽  The interrobang!
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 8166