Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8921252 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15015 on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:15 pm »

16x7y8 + 6x5y11

(2x^5)(y^8)(8yx^2 + 3y^3)

The flu must be getting you...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »

The flu must be getting you...

Yeah, I was kind of sitting there, going "x?  y?  Where do they go?  I... I can't remember... how do I subtract?"

Good catch.

EDIT: This makes me think that I'd better wait a couple days before popping off an email to Professor Poland going "LOLOLOLOL I haz disproven you!"  Good thing I screwed up here, rather than there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:13:25 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: October 21, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

Vector, you're awesome and epic. Have anyone ever told you that?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: October 21, 2010, 02:16:53 pm »

Vector, you're awesome and epic. Have anyone ever told you that?

You have :D  Thank you~

Just find the common factors for all of them, then put them outside the brackets, right?

Yes, apply fundamental theorem of arithmetic and reverse the distributive property.

Something is clearly wrong here.

EDIT: Well, that's trying to be the right answer.  I'll turn it into English later.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:18:32 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »

I played Hearts of Iron last night as Germany and lost the invasion of Poland.

Also, apparently you're supposed to fortify the French border or some nonsense.  I dunno, they had this big incursion, were headed straight to Berlin, getting cheese and tears everywhere.  I just went and played something else.

Also, I can't get into Arcanum for some reason.  No matter what I do I can't find a character I like.
Shoes...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »

Also, I can't get into Arcanum for some reason.  No matter what I do I can't find a character I like.

I know the game, but not its character generation.
If it is anywhere near as complex as any of the D&D games, then I totally understand you.

Even if you manage (after countless hours that is) to generate a character you like, you are very likely to come up with a better idea/start disliking your charater and start over after wasting a lot of time.
And then again and again until you can recite any line of dialogue from memory, from the first half of the game, get annoyed and quit.
Paralysis of choice at its finest.

That and self-destructive savegames are keeping me from finishing BG2 :(

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: October 21, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »

16x7y8 + 6x5y11

(2x^5)(y^8)(8y^2 + 3y^3)
Is it bad that I instinctively did this the second I saw this problem?
Oops dropped a link.
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS.  RETURN FIRE!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: October 21, 2010, 03:02:30 pm »

The great passive aggressive war.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: October 21, 2010, 03:03:20 pm »

If you do solve this, Vector, please don't tell me the answer; the professor is giving out a prize to first student to give him a well written answer, and I want it!  :P

Okay.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:13 pm »

Probably wouldn't matter anyway, unless you bothered to write up a full proof.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: October 21, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

I know the game, but not its character generation.
If it is anywhere near as complex as any of the D&D games, then I totally understand you.

Even if you manage (after countless hours that is) to generate a character you like, you are very likely to come up with a better idea/start disliking your charater and start over after wasting a lot of time.
And then again and again until you can recite any line of dialogue from memory, from the first half of the game, get annoyed and quit.
Paralysis of choice at its finest.

That and self-destructive savegames are keeping me from finishing BG2 :(

It's like hearing myself talk.  Anyway, it's not that complicated, it's just that there's a lot of stuff you can be and they interfere with each other so I have trouble dedicating myself to one path.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:15 pm »

a0=2
an=((n+3)/(2n))*an-1+n/((n+1)*an-1), for all integers n>=1
Is the sequence {an} convergent?  If so, what is the limit?
If you do solve this, Vector, please don't tell me the answer; the professor is giving out a prize to first student to give him a well written answer, and I want it!

Huh.  Very prettily made.  Thank you, I'll be mulling that one over for a couple days.

EDIT: HAH!  I think I got half of it, perhaps, if I can build an epsilon of the right size.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:40:27 pm by Vector »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: October 21, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

It's like hearing myself talk.  Anyway, it's not that complicated, it's just that there's a lot of stuff you can be and they interfere with each other so I have trouble dedicating myself to one path.

I'd happy if I had 3 classes to pick from which, which can branch off into 2 "Prestige"-classes (like Kotor2), or when the choice doesn't matter much anyway (like Planescape: Torment), or when there are a lot of of choices, which can be covered in a reasonable amount of playthroughs (like Gothic 2).
Anything more than that and it substracts from the enjoyment I get out of a game.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »

Auuuugh it eludes me

This does give me an excuse to actually learn chapter 3 of Rudin this time, though.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: October 21, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »

I'd be happy if I had 3 classes to pick from, which were samey and can branch off into 2 "Prestige"-classes (like Kotor2) that didn't do much, or when the choice doesn't matter (like Planescape: Torment), or when there are a lot of of choices, but again they don't really matter (like Gothic 2).

Make me think and it substracts from the enjoyment I get out of a game.

Fixed for you.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 8159