Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437850 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14835 on: October 19, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »

Yeah, teachers are mighty insensitive about that. When I told my teacher (from the above story) that the two people she paired me with were dorm mates AND had been in school together for three years, she kind of winced and just sincerely said "I'm sorry, I had no idea." Maybe that's why I got a top grade on my paper.

Still, show some leadership, even if that's sigh-laden "alright guys, I know no one wants to do this but...." I'm an introverted nerd too, but when I get into groups and the "get it done" mentality, I lead. Again, it's better than several group sessions of pure awkwardness, drudgery and eventually getting D or a worse.

Plus with foreign students, half of them are just wanting someone to engage them directly, even if they lack the language skills. American students tend to treat foreign students like they're an entire species apart. Even if they don't intentionally mean to be like that, a lot of it comes out through their mannerisms. (Not making eye contact, making a point of never speaking to them directly.)

So yeah. At the very least, if you try to lead and fail, you do better on your grade than the people in your group who did nothing at all.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: October 19, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »

And now I remember why i didn't just do this myself before.

Writing sympathetically is hard.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »

Group work is not my favorite, to put it simply. I have a few friends I work well with, a few more that I like but don't work well with, and then there is the teeming mass of other people who I've rarely ever talked to. When a teacher assigns groups and I happen to be in a group with only strangers and acquaintances, for some reason people look to me to lead them, as if getting decent grades mean that I'm a born leader. I'm not. I take responsibility, but I never really like to. The worst part is when everyone is supposed to do an equal share of work, when I know that I could finish the assignment (and do it fairly well) by myself in twenty minutes, but I have to help the one slacker I always seem to be stuck with (not naming any names) work through it for the rest of the period. I like the group I usually work with because we all work efficiently and help each other out, instead of sitting around until someone else (me) can help them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: October 19, 2010, 09:59:54 pm »

Man I hate having to work with a mixture of our exchange students and our regular students. One or the other is ok, but the groups just don't seem to mix. I'll be all leadery and I'll just be like "Musong Kim, this is your job here" in normal speach and the other kids are all like, talking slow and asking me shit like " do you think he understands what to do?". Like languages are a lost art everywhere but country of origin or something. The kid learned English before he came here, it is a cultural exchange, not the training of they very first translator.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: October 19, 2010, 11:46:51 pm »

There's a rant ahead, I guess.  Sort of.  Maybe it's just a sad curl inwards.

I don't expect only positive feedback, or even mostly positive feedback, or sugarcoated crap.  I actually look forward to negative commentary.  But I turned in the "story" of what had happened over the past two years, and this one guy gave it back with... nasty stuff written on it.  Stuff about my having pride and self-pity in my "victim identity."  Stuff about how I feel I'm not responsible for myself because I'm a victim.

I wrote "I prefer to think that I'm creatively absent-minded, rather than autistic."  He wrote "thus not responsible for what you create?"

What a fucker.

No.

I choose to forget about the shit I've been diagnosed with because then there's hope that maybe, somewhere out there, there is someone who will find me lovable.  That I'm not just some vessel to channel mathematics and other ideas onto the page.  That, as a person, I might have worth for something other than my ideas.  That, when I am old and can't write any more theorems, I won't just be stuffed away somewhere because I've become absolutely nothing.

I am more than numbers, bad social skills, and a tendency to withdraw from society.  There are things that have happened to me that I could not control.  There are things that have happened that I did not have the knowledge to prevent.  There are things that have happened that I effected, via passiveness or some other personal sin.  Goodness knows that I've never run around looking for trouble, but I know there were things I could have done to prevent some of the more negative things in my life.  Like dressing a bit more normally.  Might have helped.

And yes, they are things that "happened to me."  They are "occurrences" in my "life," many of which I don't feel responsible for--because hell, it's not like I FORCED people to hit me.  Did I tell Thyme to grope me while I was asleep?  Fuck no.  Should I have stopped being friends with her then and there?  Yes.  But I was weak, and so we remained friends.  Did I beg my classmates to ignore and demean me?  No.  I know I should have been more out-going.  I didn't understand it at the time--I swear, I had no idea how to get through the first step of socializing.  Couldn't even recognize friendly gestures.  At later dates, I began to understand things, and then it really was my fault for not trying.

What I understand about existence is that it's a combination of one's own actions, and the "fate" inflicted on an individual by his environment.  Other people make their choices, which inform your choices, which informs your existence, which informs theirs.  I can't come running in, saying "this bad thing happened and it was all my fault."  We all built this situation and perpetuated it.  We played our roles and if in the end I was the one who dropped out of school and nearly went nuts, then that's too bad.

But I can't pretend that I forced anyone to act as they did.  They always had a choice.  The things I did were dumb, and yes, there's no reason why I should expect people to act against their own personal advantage.

That doesn't mean they had to do what they did, just as it doesn't mean I had to do what I did.  We are all victims.  We are all villains.

*sigh*

Good on me to allow him to affect me like this, huh?  I feel so good right now I could curl up and kind of stop interacting with society at large.  I don't know why I expect people not to be fucktards anymore.  It's like some part of me believes in the inherent good of mankind, or something.  HA.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14840 on: October 19, 2010, 11:55:36 pm »

I wrote "I prefer to think that I'm creatively absent-minded, rather than autistic."  He wrote "thus not responsible for what you create?"

What a fucker.
I don't understand his logic. How does a preference for a different translate into removing responsibility? Either I must be missing some context, or he's pants-on-head retarded.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14841 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:02 pm »

Good on me to allow him to affect me like this, huh?  I feel so good right now I could curl up and kind of stop interacting with society at large.  I don't know why I expect people not to be fucktards anymore.  It's like some part of me believes in the inherent good of mankind, or something.  HA.
Inherent good of mankind? Nah, not in the least. On the other hand, the majority of people aren't bad... Though it sounds like you've had more than your fair share of jerks. Doesn't mean everyone's like that.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:46 pm »

What a fucker.
I don't understand his logic. How does a preference for a different translate into removing responsibility? Either I must be missing some context, or he's pants-on-head retarded.

I'm gonna go with pants-on-head retarded. I thought I was the only one who said that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:41 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:13:40 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14844 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:58 am »

I'm gonna go with pants-on-head retarded. I thought I was the only one who said that.

What about wheels-on-ducks retarded? That's what I've always said.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: October 20, 2010, 12:33:29 am »

The context, I believe, is that he read it and decided I was a disgusting person and that the real protagonist in this thing was Rosewood, my parents, and everyone who wasn't me.

It was like he went through the whole thing and said: "Okay, I'm going to do my best to make this person feel like a shitty human being, rip their metaphorical clothes off, parade them around, and then shove them off into the night."

HURMPGH.

Inherent good of mankind? Nah, not in the least. On the other hand, the majority of people aren't bad... Though it sounds like you've had more than your fair share of jerks. Doesn't mean everyone's like that.

Wait, so by preferring not to use terminology related to a diagnosis (which, at least in my experience, is the single most effective type of language to express victimization), and thus decreasing the extent to which you believe your problems to be imposed on you by the external world, he says you're ignoring responsibility and thinking of yourself as a victim? If my head were more combustible, it would have exploded. I say with significant confidence that the guy is crazy. Apparently he extrapolated your pretty reasonable "I am not omnipotent" position into ridiculousness, that's all I can think of.

Incidentally, don't worry, there ARE some good people out there. The problem is that I find their blood to be so delicious they mysteriously disappear on moonless nights jackasses tend to be more obvious since one facet of being a good person is often "Don't get in the way".

Thanks to both of you, and much appreciated.  I thought it was weird, but I'm calmer now and have realized that I may not have properly expressed myself.  He is, after all, viewing the situation through a very narrow four-page lens.  In any case, all future commentary from him is going to be dragged through the salty, salty ocean before digestion.

Hah, that's actually pretty good.  I'll have to remember that one, if you don't mind my borrowing it from time to time :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: October 20, 2010, 01:06:13 am »

What a fucker.
I thought only Zero Punctuation used that.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: October 20, 2010, 01:57:50 am »

Wheels-on-Ducks Retarded is fantastic! That's going in a sentence tomorrow, whether I have to force it or not.

-Rational Rawr-
Inherent good of mankind? Nah, not in the least.

I believe people think of themselves as innately Good; no one I've ever known has thought of themselves as Evil, and most folks dislike even being seen as wrong. Even when we're doing something we recognize as hurtful or harmful, we find ways to justify it, and make it "okay", if not "good". Even something as severe as the Holocaust was justified to it's perpetrators.

I wager your classmate wanted to help, but they're doing it from an uninformed, opinionated, and condescending position. Moreover, they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing. If you wanted to improve dealings with your classmate, you could try saying something along the lines of: "Thank you for sharing your opinions with me, but please stick to critiquing my writing next time, instead of what you believe you know about my personality and/or life. We're here to polish our writing, and not to help enterprising young Freuds practice psychotherapy."

Optionally, if you felt particularly spiteful, you can punctuate that with an "...asswipe.", or a Boot to the Head, and burn the charred remains of that bridge. I might advise against it, though.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14848 on: October 20, 2010, 02:49:01 am »

Bleh, hot night tonight.
Fan's on max and I'm not wearing a shirt, but it's still too hot.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: October 20, 2010, 06:09:26 am »

Well, it's cold up here. It's always cold.
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 8167