Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427033 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14640 on: October 15, 2010, 06:33:04 pm »

To be honest the majority of A* work is just pulled right out of your ass.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: October 15, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »

You could say this all of this about any genre (except literature itself, if that counts as one).  Sci-fi has its modes of titillation, other genres have theirs.

Yes, exactly.  I'm not saying "non-Literature" is bad, I'm saying that like it or not, that's how we usually characterize a country's literary output.  We don't say "Canada writes science fiction" because generally, that isn't what Canada writes.  You don't have to be a Canadian to write sci-fi.  It doesn't seem like any particular environment (other than Not France) provokes good science fiction.

Meh.  Half the books on my "have finished reading" shelf are sci-fi or fantasy.  I own a disturbingly large amount of manga.  It's good stuff, but I'm not going to pretend it's literary just because I enjoy it.

She's doing the whole deepness/importance angle. To me that's always an attempt to make them feel more learned than whoever they're talking with.

Alrighty, then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »

So have we defined Big-L Literature objectively yet?  Maybe I've missed something but so far I'm getting a "From 1800s, ten thousand pages, impossible to read" vibe.
Shoes...

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: October 15, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

For me, if a book does not have at minimum five explosions. two deaths and one fake deaths, then it is unreadable.

And a robot. Or a wizard. Or DEATH

So have we defined Big-L Literature objectively yet?  Maybe I've missed something but so far I'm getting a "From 1800s, ten thousand pages, impossible to read" vibe.
Literature=Bookz. That's my official instructions opinion.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: October 15, 2010, 07:14:55 pm »

Literature=Bookz.
That tends to be my definition. Any work of fiction falls under literature to me. What is "literature" if not a well written book? Some books focus on action, some on character development, some on metaphors and deep meanings. Why should any one form of writing receive the title "literature" if the others don't? I know vector isn't saying other types of book can't have any value... but what does it mean for a book to be literature if the quality of the writing has nothing to do with it?

Also: DEATH IS AWESOME.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: October 15, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »

I got sad today becouse I saw yet another form of entertainment, game specificly, utterly fuck over greek mythology, which I am a fan of.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: October 15, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

That tends to be my definition. Any work of fiction falls under literature to me. What is "literature" if not a well written book? Some books focus on action, some on character development, some on metaphors and deep meanings. Why should any one form of writing receive the title "literature" if the others don't? I know vector isn't saying other types of book can't have any value... but what does it mean for a book to be literature if the quality of the writing has nothing to do with it?

... In my point of view, literature really just means "exceptionally good fiction that people of all walks of life can read and find something in."  There is of course different opinions on this, but really... that's it.  Fantasy often has the drawback of really freaking bad characterization in favor of Dragonz (I'm talking about stuff like "The Green Unicorn" and the gimmickry of the Xanth series).  Plus, there's the barrier of the fantasy universe.  Similar thing for sci-fi, historical fiction, and so on.

Meh.  I like a lot of books, and you're right--the question of "what makes something Literature" is a difficult one.  I feel that usually, it's when an author does everything you said correctly.  The setup is interesting.  The characters are well-developed.  The metaphors are elegant, the frame well-chosen, etc., etc.  I don't know why this doesn't happen more in genre fiction, but it doesn't.  Maybe it's because well-turned metaphors can get hard to slog through after a while, and often times the "best word" is not one everyone knows... or because an emphasis on the "throbbing member" of the hero is interesting to one audience, and overblown (... teehee) to most.

That completely ignores Sartre, John Irving, Faulkner, and Homer, to mention a few... not to forget Exupery and so on.  It doesn't need to be 10,000 pages or impossible to read.  Gotta admit, though, I was always a sucker for the confusing ones.  They're like a puzzle.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: October 15, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »

Oh god I'm having flashbacks of a book where the main character was going to die somehow, and the author did some weird metaphor shit instead of finishing the scene.

That really pissed me off.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: October 15, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »

I got sad today becouse I saw yet another form of entertainment, game specificly, utterly fuck over greek mythology, which I am a fan of.
I absolutely hate it when movies are made from Greek Mythology. Or at leas the ones I've seen. All of them include things that never happened, such as someone slaying a beast someone else killed generations ago.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

That's bad but for some reason the two things that annoy me most are
1)Makeing Hades into an expy for satan, even though he was the closest thing the greek god had to a 'nice guy', a jerk but better than the others by alot
2)Makeing all gorgons monsters
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »

Meh, Fun>Plot. Though it would be nice if someone actually tried to make things accurate.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: October 15, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »

Dammit, everyone's talking about literature and books and stuff.  I've barely written anything, and I have books stacked up from this time last year that I haven't even opened yet.  And I've got too much shit to do to read them right now.

Ah who am I kidding, I'm not going to do that stuff anyway.  I might as well read.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »

Dammit, everyone's talking about literature and books and stuff.  I've barely written anything, and I have books stacked up from this time last year that I haven't even opened yet.  And I've got too much shit to do to read them right now.

Ah who am I kidding, I'm not going to do that stuff anyway.  I might as well read.

But you won't, will you?  You'll stay right here.  I know you, man.  We are basically the same but you have a beard.

Shoes...

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »

YOu should totally read my fanfiction. Then tell me it sucks.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:53 pm »

But you won't, will you?  You'll stay right here.  I know you, man.  We are basically the same but you have a beard.
And as he has a beard he is obviously suppirior to you.
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 8167