Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416127 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14385 on: October 10, 2010, 12:40:33 pm »

I forgot, is it Androids who are humans given lots of robotic parts while Cyborgs are robots who look like humans, or is it the other way around?

Other way around, I think.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: October 10, 2010, 12:40:52 pm »

If we were to classify mechanical life, it wouldn't have the same taxonomy as humans at all. There would be no Homo or sapiens included in the name at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: October 10, 2010, 12:41:37 pm »

Androids are organically grown (not built) robots.

Cyborgs are humans with any robot parts (technically someone with their hand replaced with a claw is a cyborg).

If we were to classify mechanical life, it wouldn't have the same taxonomy as humans at all. There would be no Homo or sapiens included in the name at all.
If we ever made an intelligent robot, I'm pretty sure we would for poetic reasons.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: October 10, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »

Biological taxonomy is science, not poetry. It has to be internally consistent about how names are assigned.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: October 10, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »

Also, poetic scientists.

Hah
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: October 10, 2010, 12:46:21 pm »

Biological taxonomy is science, not poetry. It has to be internally consistent about how names are assigned.
It would still be internally consistent...?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: October 10, 2010, 12:53:57 pm »

No, it wouldn't. Homo is a specific genus, of which H. sapiens are the only survivors. If we made a robot that could think, using either of those terms for its classification would break the system. The only new species that would be under the genus Homo would have to be somthing that evolved from humans.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: October 10, 2010, 12:55:38 pm »

Robots wouldn't appear in any taxonomy, no matter how intelligent.

They would start appearing once we have intelligent robots that can form babby with each other.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: October 10, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »

Or once they demand to be in taxonomy at gunpoint.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »

No, it wouldn't. Homo is a specific genus, of which H. sapiens are the only survivors. If we made a robot that could think, using either of those terms for its classification would break the system. The only new species that would be under the genus Homo would have to be somthing that evolved from humans.
A genus in one kingdom  is allowed to bear a scientific name that is in use as a generic name (or the name of a taxon in another rank) in a kingdom that is governed by a different Nomenclature Code.
So... actually, if robots were a different "kingdom", I guess they could be "Sapiens ____" (examples where this happens already: Proboscidea, Anura).

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:30 pm »

Actually... you could rule that because robots are creations of humans, they fall under the genus homo. It wouldn't really break the system because there is no precedent for one species creating another though any method but evolution.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: October 10, 2010, 01:13:05 pm »

Sisters birthday.

Just told this now.

DnD game canceled.

FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A ROW.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: October 10, 2010, 01:16:40 pm »

I hate it when my D&D is cancelled. Wednesday night is D&D night, "no I ain't going to the doctor.. what? no, I'm not going to this party either, wait? icecream? yes, of course I'll be there". *Cancels D&D*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: October 10, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »

Actually... you could rule that because robots are creations of humans, they fall under the genus homo. It wouldn't really break the system because there is no precedent for one species creating another though any method but evolution.

Taxonomy for AI really doesn't apply to AI, since it's used to classify organisms which are genetically similar enough to breed successfully. It makes about as much sense as assigning a car or a computer a Taxonomic identity.

If you're arguing that anything sentient, mechanical or no, deserves a classification on par with lifeforms, you're looking at a sort of Cultural Evolution... an "organism" produced by industry and culture. I don't know how science would handle that, but I bet we'll be getting a taste of it soon, as we progress down the tracks of engineering Artificial Organisms from scratch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: October 10, 2010, 02:14:58 pm »

I had horrible nightmares about suffocation last night, which I'd attribute to being sick and waking up several times almost choking on my own mucus. More terror than sad, but you get the idea.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 8166