Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445976 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13995 on: October 05, 2010, 10:01:31 pm »

Reading The Scarlet Letter made me sad today. Sentences should not have, on average, six to eight commas each. I may only have read through to chapter two, but so far it's very dull and the main character sounds like a total Mary Sue.

Post a sample of this horrible mangling of punctuation for our entertainment, perhaps?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: October 05, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »

Ugh. feel like crap.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: October 05, 2010, 10:04:19 pm »

I never read it, but I read Turn of the Screw, which was quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. Each sentence was nearly a page long as I recall, and packed with so many subclauses that by the time you got through them you've forgotten what the hell the main clause was trying to say. Shitty story too. Had to buy the book for AP English, gave it to someone else later in the year who was going into the same class the next year.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: October 05, 2010, 10:08:37 pm »

Uh, how does Hester Prynne come off as a Mary Sue? I thought she was portrayed quite realistically, as a flawed but sympathetic character. As to the style, that's something you're going to have to get used to if you want to read anything before this century, really. Its quite in the romantic vein to have a painful number of clauses, but you sort of have to roll with it.
As to the dull, you sort of have to remember these are supposedly real people, and while they may not be engaging in high-speed gunfights with bio-pirates, they are caught in a pretty grim world of guilt, judgment, and repentance, and thats not exactly light material, ya know?
Then again, if its not your taste, its not your taste, haha.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: October 05, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »

I love how he puts that one little semicolon at the end there, like he's trying to cut down on punctuation.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean, but to be fair, you'd be hard-pressed to find female characters in fiction who aren't aberrantly attractive. Aside from Jane Eyre--and thats pretty much her claim to fame--there aren't many. Further, though, I don't think shes a Mary Sue because theres a relevance to her beauty: your meant to juxtapose her beauty and dignity with the harshness and ugliness of her sentence. People have a defensive reaction when they see an attractive, innocent young woman facing harsh punishments, especially when the crime is so dubious.
Heh. Maybe this isn't the right thread for this discussion; though I'd love to hear more about your take on it.
And yeah, the punctuation is fiendish, but its the price of age. I'm sure one day people will think our syntax is just as difficult, heh.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: October 05, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »

I need to make a 1-2 pages work about the practices I have been doing these last weeks, for this thursday.  ANd I dont know what the hell to write.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:16 am »

And, to make an example of the many commas within the writing, "Yet there were intervals when the whole scene, in which she was the most conspicuous object, seemed to vanish from her eyes, or, at least, glimmering indistinctly before them, like a mass of imperfectly shaped and spectral images," or "Reminiscences, the most trifling and immaterial, passages of infancy and schooldays, sports, childish quarrels, and the little domestic traits of her maiden years, came swarming back upon her, intermingled with recollections of whatever was gravest in her subsequent life; one picture precisely as vivid as another; as if all were of similar importance, or all alike a play."

Soupy.
That's pretty shitty writing, but the use of commas isn't that bad. It's better than the layered subclauses in Turn of the Screw, in any case.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14003 on: October 06, 2010, 01:42:18 am »

Well I tried all that. Now I am blind and my house burned down. At least I think it did, I can not see it because... you know... blind. Great job Jack.

I can't believe how well that worked. Okay guys, dropping all the dirt I have on Criptfeind in 3...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: October 06, 2010, 02:21:12 am »

I'm sad that Yahoo Answers exists. It has the most half-fucking-assed report system I have ever seen. You can go and report somebody and they'll have their question removed. Nobody will ever bother to look if it's in or out of guidelines.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: October 06, 2010, 04:42:34 am »

tis a sad sad night on the retro front

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:15 am »

tis a sad sad night on the retro front
What happened? Did a pet, family member or friend die? If so, why haven't you engraved your house yet? That'll make you estatic in minutes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:07 am »

Don't have a valid Fallout 3 Windows Ass Live Key.

So it's gone and shut down on me, halfway through the game, and after I've bought the DLC.

I tried searching for a key online... but... No. You don't search for cd-keys online anymore.

The thing that bums me out is that it's a borrowed copy of fallout three. From my brother. I mean, that's a lot lighter grey than downloading it. To me, anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:01 am »

I'm sad that Yahoo Answers exists. It has the most half-fucking-assed report system I have ever seen. You can go and report somebody and they'll have their question removed. Nobody will ever bother to look if it's in or out of guidelines.

Yahoo answers is a joke. No, literally. "How is babby formed" and all that.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:13 am »

Yahoo answers is a joke. No, literally. "How is babby formed" and all that.
I enjoy trolling on it. It's so fucking easy!

Don't piss off the people on the religion section. I did that and all of my questions were deleted for apparant "violations" a few weeks later. My account was also deleted. But I decided to go back to troll again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:25:07 am by Medicine Man »
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 8167