Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452798 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13215 on: September 25, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »

Eh, alot of guys just like soft-spoken women, and women who they feel smart against. We do the same thing with our friends, in my experience, actually. Ever see that one guy who hangs out with the dudes who have about 3 IQ points to their name? That's me.

I dunno, at least its a better ointment to my superiority complex than bullying  :P

I find myself attracted to people who are more skilled than I am. Not universally, since everyone has their strengths and weakness, but to people with strengths that are different than mine. Some of my best friends are people who know more of government and history, art, storytelling, music, philosophy, computer science, organized fighting, etc. In some ways it helps me to learn... and it also gives me a more complete exposure to what's in the world. Mostly, it's nice to surround yourself with people whose advice, opinions, and skills you can trust.

This doesn't stop me from lauding what small victories I earn over them when I do, though. I can be a terribly prideful creature.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: September 25, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »

Eh, alot of guys just like soft-spoken women, and women who they feel smart against.

And women they feel physically stronger than.

Why?  I don't understand it.  I understand why my particular brand of blunt tactlessness and ill humor might not be desirable, but beyond that--what's the deal with taking advantage of vulnerable little ingenues?  Sure, in books, it can be kind of interesting--but in real life, those sorts of people just make me angry.

Bleh.  Maybe I'd have an easier time in life if I could just stop being stubborn, quit arguing, and learn to be gracefully helpless.  My feelings of self-satisfaction may not be worth the results.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: September 25, 2010, 05:49:13 pm »

MY DND GAME IS IN 24 HOURS AND I AM NOT READY AUUUUUUUGH

I have two hours to make around three hours of game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:54:33 pm by Criptfeind »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: September 25, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »

Eh, alot of guys just like soft-spoken women, and women who they feel smart against.

Why?  I don't understand it.  I understand why my particular brand of blunt tactlessness and ill humor might not be desirable, but beyond that--what's the deal with taking advantage of vulnerable little ingenues?  Sure, in books, it can be kind of interesting--but in real life, those sorts of people just make me angry.

Bleh.  Maybe I'd have an easier time in life if I could just stop being stubborn, quit arguing, and learn to be gracefully helpless.  My feelings of self-satisfaction may not be worth the results.
Probably some desire to be important for someone. If your spouse is weaker then you, you feel like you're her guardian, giving a sense of importance. Yes that sounds weird, disregard it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: September 25, 2010, 05:57:18 pm »

Probably some desire to be important for someone. If your spouse is weaker then you, you feel like you're her guardian, giving a sense of importance. Yes that sounds weird, disregard it.

You can guard someone without being stronger than them.  You can impress someone without being smarter than them.

Harrumph.  Gender politics is a horrible, horrible thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: September 25, 2010, 05:58:54 pm »

You can guard someone without being stronger than them.  You can impress someone without being smarter than them.

Harrumph.  Gender politics is a horrible, horrible thing.

I'm not sure if it's gender politics, instinct or something else. You don't objectively go "That guy has a manly jawline, I like him (assuming you're into manly jawlines)", now do you?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: September 25, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »

You can guard someone without being stronger than them.  You can impress someone without being smarter than them.
Tell instinct that. Not everyone cares much about that sort of thing... but the feeling is still there, weak or not.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: September 25, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

I'm not sure if it's gender politics, instinct or something else. You don't objectively go "That guy has a manly jawline, I like him (assuming you're into manly jawlines)", now do you?

Not really, no.  Usually I end up thinking "Man, this is such a great teacher!  I'm so fond of him!" and then that slowly turns into "Vector, don't open your mouth unless you have a math-related question to ask--and there's no way you're wearing anything with a hemline above the ankle or below the armpit for the rest of the year."

Tell instinct that. Not everyone cares much about that sort of thing... but the feeling is still there, weak or not.

Huh.  My instinct is that I don't like men who can easily physically or emotionally dominate me.  They scare me like the dickens.  I don't like to control or dominate, either.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: September 25, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »

Let's see, i had to wake up at 7 AM, i ate so much cake my stomach hurt the whole morning(but that was worth it ), it was raining the whole freaking day, still is.The rain made stay inside and miss the second show, also Civilization V is a big laggy bitch(also very fun)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: September 25, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

Why?  I don't understand it.  I understand why my particular brand of blunt tactlessness and ill humor might not be desirable, but beyond that--what's the deal with taking advantage of vulnerable little ingenues?  Sure, in books, it can be kind of interesting--but in real life, those sorts of people just make me angry.

Bleh.  Maybe I'd have an easier time in life if I could just stop being stubborn, quit arguing, and learn to be gracefully helpless.  My feelings of self-satisfaction may not be worth the results.

I wouldn't mind a strong women.

However I take any kind of criticism to heart, when it is coming from someone close to me, often leaving me horribly hurt.
It can prey on my mind for days, until I go to that person and resolve everything in a conversation.

I can't imagine myself being the dominating part of a relationship.
Being an equal, or filling the supportive role suits me so much better.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:16:50 pm by Mindmaker »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: September 25, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »

Huh.  My instinct is that I don't like men who can easily physically or emotionally dominate me.  They scare me like the dickens.  I don't like to control or dominate, either.
I don't really mean dominating someone... just being able to protect them. Instincts come from the time of hunter gatherers mostly, and the male's job was to protect the females at that time. A more modern(sorta...) example: The reason you don't see stories of princesses rescuing knights often is because, quite frankly, the princess doesn't need the knight. The species continues if a few males gets themselves killed, but the females need protected. It's the same reason a queen bee has expendable workers to keep her safe.

Still, as I said, the strength of said instinct varies. I wouldn't mind a girlfriend who was stronger/smarter than me... I would simply see it as a challenge.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: September 25, 2010, 06:20:55 pm »

Your theory kind of falls apart in that there are more women than men in the world now. Assuming population trends continue as they are now, it'll be 54:46 by 2050.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: September 25, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

I just read part of My Immortal.
Never. Again.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: September 25, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »

MY DND GAME IS IN 24 HOURS AND I AM NOT READY AUUUUUUUGH

I have two hours to make around three hours of game.

Rip-off a pre-built adventure, work it in somehow.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: September 25, 2010, 06:27:10 pm »

Post for help on a forum.
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 8167