Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459243 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13065 on: September 23, 2010, 04:28:20 am »

Also, can I have a strong heroine who doesn't just want a family/lover/whatever?
Usula K. le Guin? In case you somehow missed this one in your bookwormish pursues.
You don't get one-dimensional characters in her books, be it male or female. You don't get a caricatural, sword-swinging, chainmal bikini wearing women either. She does the kind of feminism, that shouldn't be called so, but be the default point of view on the "gender roles".

Somebody start that book club already.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: September 23, 2010, 04:42:52 am »

Seconded.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: September 23, 2010, 07:00:55 am »

I've suggested over and over that we should request a literature subforum. BUT YOU ALWAYS REJECT ME, CURS!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: September 23, 2010, 07:01:51 am »

I would use that too much.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:43 am »

The Mists of Avalon has a good female character in Morgan le Fay, though some other ones are pretty good too. It has unfortunate amounts of 'necking', though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:11 am »

Watching All Quiet on the Western Front. The special effects are crappy, but they paint a pretty good picture of the hellishness of World War I. Such a sad movie.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: September 23, 2010, 08:20:24 am »

The Mists of Avalon has a good female character in Morgan le Fay, though some other ones are pretty good too. It has unfortunate amounts of 'necking', though.
If this is the book I remember then you'll have to go several bases after necking to justify what goes on in that book. But everything else was nice, so goodie.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:29:45 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:36 am »

It was a stand-alone book, if I recall, not part of a series.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:57 am »

No, Full Life Consequences is by a different guy, but it's in the same vein.

Actually, Doom: Repercusions of Evil and Half Life: Full Life Consequences are indeed by the same guy.

He does that shit on purpose.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:15 am »

Watching All Quiet on the Western Front. The special effects are crappy, but they paint a pretty good picture of the hellishness of World War I. Such a sad movie.
Watch The Pacific, though not about World War I, it is incredible.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:47 am »

Actually, Doom: Repercusions of Evil and Half Life: Full Life Consequences are indeed by the same guy.

Are you sure about that?  Repercussions of Evil was by Peter Chimaera, and Full Life Consequences was Squirrelking.  The GMod adaptations are by the same people, but the movie is never as good as the book.
Shoes...

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:42 am »

Are you sure about that?  Repercussions of Evil was by Peter Chimaera, and Full Life Consequences was Squirrelking.  The GMod adaptations are by the same people, but the movie is never as good as the book.

I'm not so sure about that, I know the Full Life Consequences adaptation was produced by DJY and his crew. Not sure about Repercussions. And the movie is far better than the book in this case.

EDIT:

Also, I am "sad" because today is another day of indeterminate feeding schedules.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: September 23, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »

Oh, whoops. I guess they are different people.

I remembered Peter Chimaera made a Half Life one too but it turned out to be QuarterLife: Halfway to Destruction.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »

Just picked up a copy =)  Necking doesn't bother me as much as long as it's not this "I am a great woman and here is a great man come to declare his love for me!!!  And so everything was great!!!!!!" sort of situation.  Basically, I'm sick of chick-flick style setups with the Designated Male and the Designated Female, and the soft Hollywood glow of idealism cast over everything.

Also I seem to have turned into an angry feminist, which in conjunction with all my other "qualities" puts my marriage at... 108 years old or so.  Damn.

Usula K. le Guin? In case you somehow missed this one in your bookwormish pursues.

Yeah, must have missed her.  I keep thinking I should try Le Guin, but ... well, I forgot about her in the sea of all the dead white male authors I'm busy with ::)

Seconded.

Will do.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:59 pm »

Awaiting book club eagerly.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 8167