Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449360 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12525 on: September 14, 2010, 08:35:04 pm »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »

Due to the bus strike I just got home now at 9:40. Usually I'm home at 8:15 or something. Whelp.

And the bigger bummer was math class today, where I studied the various systems he was teaching for the past few weeks and said would be the only things on the test only to find a bunch of tricky fractions he never touched up on and general other crap he never took the time to brush up with us about. There were five questions, and due to the time frame of like 20 minutes I only really completed one, and it was worth 10 points out of a possible 100.

While facing this rather depressing failure I came to a realization about myself: I'm not chill because I'm chill or because I want things to be calm, I'm chill because apparently the only way I know how to cope with stress and futility is to just detach myself form the world. Specifically musing over the fact that no matter what I do or say presenting this to my father will get me a useless stern lecture and leave both of us depressed and discouraged, and if I hide it then he'll eventually find out and we'll both be depressed and discouraged.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:44:55 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »

I'm sad that people aren't feeling welcome. As I've said before, Bay12 isn't the smartest place on the internet, it's just more polite than most places.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »

My math class has the anecdote "Don't serve time, let time serve you" written on the board.

Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.

Please
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:29 pm »

A powerplant that tries to kill you.

Like that one in Chernobyl? Man, that took long enough to think up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »

And having bashed my head against the wall that was the dev-version, I haven't been able to bring myself to play the released versions since April.

Yeah I'm basically in the same boat with regard to DF, and forums stuff to an extent.  I don't have the same enthusiasm for DF and its future to keep me grounded in the community, and I don't have as much time for the internet period, these days.  My work is no longer the kind that lends itself to procrastination, and I'm busy with all kinds of remaking-my-life shit.  I'll still be around but yeah.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: September 14, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »

I liked the first movie aside from those points that have been repeated (Why use people for power, etc etc etc) and I loved the Animatrix, especially the Second Renaissance. The scenes focusing on the Human-Machine war were awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:08 pm »

In short

Thirteen hour school day, get home tired, shower, eat, browse. Made the mistake of reading over the pages I missed of the happy thread before this one, which leads to multiple things coming to mind that will just merge together into an ever increasing monster of despair if I dwell on them too long.

So I'll cut it off there and make a note to read through the sad thread before the happy thread next time.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12533 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:21 pm »

Wow, this thread exploded with activity over the past while.

I think I already said what I could say earlier, but wow. Can this be tossed into the discussion thread? Sounded like a good discussion.

Maybe some of it has been resolved already. Maybe time flew while I was wandering the black hole of tropes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: September 14, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:19:52 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: September 14, 2010, 11:06:47 pm »

So I read about what may be the worst series of events ever to befall a person in history. It starts with the Holocaust, and moves downhill from there. Seriously. Fuck.
I bet it can be beat. What about the story of Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the only person officially recognized as surviving both of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan, who died this year from extreme cancer? The Holocaust person might be a competitor, but two nukes is hard to beat.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: September 14, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:21:09 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: September 14, 2010, 11:23:18 pm »

Oh. Yeah, they win, unfortunately for them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: September 15, 2010, 12:12:46 am »

I dislike Scott Pilgrim.  Darn.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:41 am »

I dislike Scott Pilgrim.  Darn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are forgiven.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 8167