Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446171 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12420 on: September 14, 2010, 04:12:12 pm »

Eh, lots of numbers are of dubious existance.  Imaginary numbers may not exist, but they are vital to working out some sums and doing certain tasks.  Which is kindof weird.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »

If you want to be really debative, you could say that realistically no numbers 'exist', so imaginary are just as real as any other. I'm sure Vector knows more of the theory and whatnot, but its pretty clear that numbers themselves are just ideas. "Seven" isn't a thing, ya know?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: September 14, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »

Yeah, but you could use the same logic to deny the existence of adjectives.

...I suppose numbers sortof exist in a descriptive sense?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: September 14, 2010, 04:26:00 pm »

My kneecap has had a piece of cartilage and bone sheared off of it, and I have surgery next Monday.

I'm out for the rest of the football season. :(
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: September 14, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »

Adjectives do not state one's existence in full accuracy

Ok I'm done
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: September 14, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

I was thinking about my place here. Again.

I just don't fit into the academia minded people here. Math discussions and other such things explode on the site all the time. I can't even begin to comprehend half of what I read in these discussions and I don't even see the big deal. I'm too practical minded to care about it or respect it.

Further as I keep saying. I have no love for the games hosted here anymore, or the creators of them. I'm going to be totally honest and say mostly because they currently just seem willing to balloon up the complexity without adding any real content, and I just don't see HOW that makes any sense. Makes it more "Fun" I guess but it doesn't make it any more fun at all. Sure I can lose because of a number of new circumstances but that doesn't even matter since losing looks and feels the same anyway no matter what. It's boring. Losing can be fun but I just think it's boring here.

And then back to the community. I find myself liking people here less and less. I can't stand the "dwarfyness" worship, the damn deification of intellectualism, the total disdain for anything "simple" or just enjoyable, the ever growing list of total idiots on here and the overall oppressive atmosphere this place seems to carry now.

I think I'm gonna go. Not like for good wah wah never coming back. Just I think I'm going to be a lot less active. Or maybe I'm just venting. I dunno.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: September 14, 2010, 05:21:51 pm »

And then back to the community. I find myself liking people here less and less. I can't stand the "dwarfyness" worship (...) the ever growing list of total idiots on here and the overall oppressive atmosphere this place seems to carry now.

I don't post a great deal down here, but I'm feeling the same way to some degree. I actually see it going on in the upper forums as well (although that may just be cynicism), and it's probably due to the fact there hadn't been a DF release in ages and now there's this sudden influx of new members.

In fact, that might be the root of the problem - I won't comment on anything else, but from what I know, the staple members of this place hadn't changed a great deal until recently. There must've been a point where you warmed to their company and got used to them. This doesn't offer a solution; I'm not trying to offer one. Just stating my... sympathy, I suppose.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: September 14, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »

It's more forum community then DF fans/old DF fans or whatever.

I don't know what to say Janet.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: September 14, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

It's more forum community then DF fans/old DF fans or whatever.

I think you missed my point. More people playing DF -> more new forum members -> more community members drifting down here, some of whom will stay. Some of whom are idiots.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »

Janet has a lot of good points.  The dwarf thing is really irritating, Other Games is completely insufferable, and Dwarf Fortress still seems to be working on stuff that won't really make the game more fun.  There's all this awesome stuff in the dev checklist, but it seems so far away.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: September 14, 2010, 05:28:13 pm »

To be truthful 3, I didn't even read your post.  I was responding to Janet.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: September 14, 2010, 05:29:21 pm »

Then that settles that then. Good to see I'm as unnotable as usual.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: September 14, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »

I think in general it boils down that I'm more a guest than a member of the community at large. I'd probably fit better on a Stalker or Touhou board but this is where I ended up.

In a sense I guess that makes me a bit like Vector. Given I came here for other reasons and really don't think too much about DF. Only I'm the tails to her heads given I stand in contrast to nearly everything she's said about herself.  I can't even say I'm emotionally unstable anymore, I'm so chill lately I put duke to shame.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: September 14, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

Further as I keep saying. I have no love for the games hosted here anymore, or the creators of them. I'm going to be totally honest and say mostly because they currently just seem willing to balloon up the complexity without adding any real content, and I just don't see HOW that makes any sense. Makes it more "Fun" I guess but it doesn't make it any more fun at all. Sure I can lose because of a number of new circumstances but that doesn't even matter since losing looks and feels the same anyway no matter what. It's boring. Losing can be fun but I just think it's boring here.
Yeah. Also, these days one can't even make a honest criticism of the way DF is going without hiding it in seemingly unrelated topic.

Also also, just to make sure, this sudden outburst of defeatism isn't in any way related to being dethroned by Vector as the Female Forumite Everybody Wants To Be Friends With(FFEWTBFW), right?
Right?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:36 pm »

DF can be fun, and is enjoyable to play at times, but like all good games my interest has waned. I remain here for the community and to watch it grow, though I will likely not play again for a great while yet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 8167