Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452727 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12150 on: September 12, 2010, 01:44:56 pm »

Right.  Exactly.

And then I'm thinking about raising it, the two of us, and all the horrors that would bring about.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:05 pm »

I think the thing to do if you were making a duplicate of yourself would be to make it the opposite gender.

But ... the selfcest...
Hey there's nothing wrong with that, unless you get yourself pregnant...
I'd hate to see the genetic abomination from hell that comes out of that.

Well obviously there would be a problem there. Of course, you could just spay/neuter your clone. If you really want a child you've already got cloning facilities...
Anyway, there doesn't have to be that sort of relationship.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: September 12, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »

so kill the female instance every so often and make a new one.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: September 12, 2010, 01:49:15 pm »

Well, if the origin individual was male, then the female clone would have a basis for two X chromosomes, and the child would likely just be a clone of yourself with some features pundit square'd around. If the origin individual was female, then there would be no basis for the male clone's Y chromosome, resulting in genetic horror. I don't even want to think about what that could mean for a child in that case.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:31 pm »

The child would not be a clone (meiotic recombination)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

I mean like a clone. Genetically, there would be no new data, just the potiential of certain traits being displayed that you carry but do not display.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:38 pm »

Y chromosomes are thought to merely be X chromosomes mutated in the common ancestor of all mammals, with all the useful bits taken out; I'm sorry to have to admit it, but it pretty much only codes for Testosterone. It is true, though, that if you mixed together genes from two identical clones of yourself, the child would actually be a complete biological clone, minus only the usual mutations that happen whenever genes get together. </SCIENCE>

Huh... now you've got me wondering; if you could insure perfect clones with no mutations whatsoever, I wonder what kind of degradation you'd get if, for generation after generation, you had to raise yourself as a child.

The only real test for Nature vs. Nurture!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:54 pm »

I can just see myself now.

"Okay, Alpha, you're the biologist; Beta, you're on physics; Gamma, stop hitting your sister!  You're supposed to be doing Fine Art or something, aren't you?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: September 12, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »

I think there's a novel by David Brin that's tangentially related to that?

Also, Vector is awesome.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: September 12, 2010, 02:23:24 pm »

This is why I don't think I should be allowed to have children--because as well-educated and gleamingly brilliant as they would be, I'm not sure that we want our captains of industry to be that dysfunctional.  Or named after the Greek alphabet.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: September 12, 2010, 02:25:06 pm »

I can just see myself now.

"Okay, Alpha, you're the biologist; Beta, you're on physics; Gamma, stop hitting your sister!  You're supposed to be doing Fine Art or something, aren't you?"
"Goddammit you guys all suck. Stop moping around on computers! I made you to be like those Vector girls! Even the girl clones are being lazy and starting fights."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: September 12, 2010, 02:25:22 pm »

I think the thing to do if you were making a duplicate of yourself would be to make it the opposite gender.
There's a great song by Isaac Asimov about this I think?

My first reaction was "Whoa, Asimov wrote music?! I have to get my hands on some of this!" And then I realized you meant 'story.' And then I was sad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:33 pm »

Intellect shouldn't be everything in a child's upbringing. My psychology teacher told me about some professor who did everything he could to ensure his daughter would be brilliant, starting with playing Mozart at her when she was in the womb, and training her constantly. She did indeed end up with genius-level intellect....and then commited suicide at age 24.
It would seem children need a ballance of physical, mental, and social skills to be stable, according to said psychology teacher.
No Gods, No Masters.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

Sounds interesting. I wonder what would happen if they trained a kid to be excel in all physical aspects like that. Maybe they'd make superman.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:15 pm »

The result wouldn't be much better, I'd bet. The kid would end up a total idiot who would be unable to interact with anyone. Like a Jerk Jock, but worse because that stereotype usually gets social skills along with the physical.

Focusing only on social skills wouldn't help much either, given that they would be both dumb as bricks and a total weakling able to connect with everyone.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 8167