Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455006 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #11985 on: September 11, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

My Japanese has become absolutely horrid over the past two or three years... and Gokuu isn't helping, because he speaks Touhokuben (read: mountain hick Japanese).  So slow, suddenly.  But hey, at least it's fun to read again, and some studying can't hurt.

Also, Buruma has an odd sense of morality.  I never noticed the first time around just how corrupt she is.

... Also also, TORIYAMA, I find it disturbing that this exchange features on the 10th page or so of the first graphic novel:

Gokuu: "You appear to be different from me... you're all rounded and weak-looking."
Buruma: "I can't help that!  You're a boy, aren't you?  I'm just a feeble woman!"

My inner feminist is screaming.  I think I'm just going to pretend that she's using her "feminine wiles" to appease the guy who just shrugged off getting shot in the face, rather than believing that Toriyama actually means this :I

If anyone else is studying 日本語, by the way, this site is very useful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:30:32 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: September 11, 2010, 04:22:45 pm »

Woke up today and had trouble sitting up properly because my back hurt so much. It doesn't hurt to cough or too breathe deep, but man, it hurts pretty much no matter what position I'm in. I really, really do not want to pay for a doctor's visit though, I'm hoping the pain lessens in the next day or two.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: September 11, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

Eh, at least go once--it's better than being in pain.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: September 11, 2010, 04:29:51 pm »

I was trying to think on what skills and lessons I learned from my upbringing, and then this happened.

Looks like even though you had a rough childhood, you grew up to become a beyond decent person.
Wish I could have made something like this out of my situation.

The stuff I've lived through made me a kind, maybe even a good, but certainly a weak person.

And my habit of overthinking everything, as well as my dualistic view of things, often result in apathy, preventing me from doing things which might be good for me.

Right now I'm still being shackled down by school, but this ought to end in a few days, giving me the possibility to do something about my state.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: September 11, 2010, 04:31:30 pm »

The guys in my family kind of have chronic back pain. I'm not worried about chronic back pain, so much as I am pneumonia. Being that I can lie flat and not be completely locked up with pain....I'm guessing I just threw something completely out of whack.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:47 pm »

If anyone else is studying 日本語, by the way, this site is very useful.
http://www.manythings.org/japanese/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: September 11, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:15 pm »

You're welcome.

Sad: I couldn't understand Primer on the first viewing. I'm almost too afraid to watch it again.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:01 pm »

A few days ago, I was talking to ToonyMan about the Forum Stats page.  How when we both started hanging around this forum about two years ago, Toady One commanded the Top Ten Posters list with 8000+ posts.  As of like a week ago, he was down to #10, with 8800 something.  With JoshuaFH joining the ITS OVER 9000 CLUB, he's been knocked clear off the list.

This doesn't make me sad per se, but... apprehensive?  I dunno.  I should start playing Dwarf Fortress again, I don't know why I don't.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »

I don't because until the military does what it's supposed to, I'm not wasting any more time with it. It blows to spend every minute of a year managing, testing, changing the military around, only to find them completely untrained and unprepared when the first goblin attack hits. I can't even get the guys to build up wrestling correctly anymore. I just get so frustrated putting all the time and effort into fortress establishment, then have it fall apart for want of the military system functioning correctly. It's been addressed (again) in the most recent version, so when he puts that up I'm going to venture in.

Plus, chmod abandoning Dwarf Therapist and it having to be picked up by the community kind of took the wind out of my sails.

And yeah, maybe it's just me, but Toady's last few updates don't seem to have the same zest as previous months. He kind of sounds like he's just wandering through his own code right now, more than he normally does.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:49 pm »

A few days ago, I was talking to ToonyMan about the Forum Stats page.  How when we both started hanging around this forum about two years ago, Toady One commanded the Top Ten Posters list with 8000+ posts.  As of like a week ago, he was down to #10, with 8800 something.  With JoshuaFH joining the ITS OVER 9000 CLUB, he's been knocked clear off the list.
I noticed this as well.  It's kindof... weird.

Toady One is still the top topic starter, though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: September 11, 2010, 05:37:00 pm »

Probably because his updates in previous months came after a dry spell of 2 years and we were all "HOLY SHIT DAWG"
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: September 11, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

Yeah, I had a look at how many posts I Actually have... It's surprisingly little.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:32 pm »

Well, Toady said he'd be averaging about one update a month for the forseeable future now that .31 is stable enough to be playable, so we should be getting .31.13 in the next few weeks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: September 11, 2010, 06:37:51 pm »

I have never had an avatar on this forum. That makes me sad, all of the sudden.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 8167