Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9468086 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #9765 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:18 pm »

And then we come to things like our justification for going to the moon. One might say that it was a bastion of scientific progress and knowlage. And they are wrong. We went to the moon for two reasons.

A. It was there. Just up there in the fucking sky. Mocking us.

B. Another group of humans was trying to do it. And we can't have that. Not at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #9766 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »

And B only happened because A was there.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:25 pm »

And that's only AFTER they decided against nuking it to death. http://www.cracked.com/article/153_nuke-moon-5-certifiably-insane-cold-war-projects/

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »

Komodo Dragons used a form of it. Involving poison, so they cheat.

Also, we have guns. Lions do not.

If only we could channel our MAXIMUM POTENTIAL into firepower. It would be so incredibly stupid and destructive, I just have to have it.

If Fist of the North Star has taught me anything, it's that the normal human only uses 30% of their total strength, and accessing the other 70% involves making alot of heads explode.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: August 12, 2010, 11:22:51 pm »

And that's only AFTER they decided against nuking it to death. http://www.cracked.com/article/153_nuke-moon-5-certifiably-insane-cold-war-projects/
That's because we want it alive. The moon will suffer greatly one day, terraformed into a mockery of Earth. There is no greater crime than being out of the reach of humanity, and no greater punishment than being within out grasp.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: August 12, 2010, 11:23:05 pm »

Wolves use persistence hunting as well, don't they? Only far from as good. And I believe there are certain African dog breeds that can do it as well. Obviously, these were bred suchways by persistence hunting people.

I realise now, as I scramble to make a nice, cultivated post, that I'm way to tired to even attempt to hide that I have not point whatsoever ;)
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: August 12, 2010, 11:24:12 pm »

The wolves were the only ones who could keep up with us. Their now warped status as companions is unsuprising, given that.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:53 pm »

But yeah, if humans have the +diplomacy bonus, the rest of the universe had better be rapidly filling with grey goo. Because that is probably one of the few levels we won't purposefully stoop to.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: August 13, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

I caught a cold. It's midsummer and I caught a cold from a night of urban camping.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: August 13, 2010, 04:35:35 am »

Went out to see the Perseid meteor shower. I took a little drive out of the city, and into a rural area with open spaces and a lack of light. I caught an exceptionally bright shooting star, and a number of other ones too. Though the air was a bit foggy, the ground was damp, and there were plenty of hungry mosquitoes buzzing around, the conditions didn't really bother me; as I sat there, though, I was increasingly aware that I didn't have anyone to share it with.

I was reminded of the last time I watched for shooting stars with my sister, her husband, and my housemates about 2 years ago, before they all moved south... or when I watched fireworks a few months ago with my D&D buddies, before they scattered overseas or across the country. Also, I remembered a number of years ago, when I watched the lunar eclipse with my ex; though we were several states apart at the time, we both sat outside, talking over the phone, watching the shadows creep over the moon bit by bit, until it flashed with a red halo and disappeared.

Despite my best efforts to ignore it, I'm realizing that I've been feeling lonely lately. I honestly just miss having someone to be able to share these sorts of things with.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:39:25 am by Solifuge »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: August 13, 2010, 06:21:40 am »

I think you may be exaggerating.  PCP definitely makes you crazy, but I think a lot of the stories about PCP users hulking out and throwing cars and taking bullets to the head are probably embellished.

There's a rapper that took PCP with his girlfriend, he killed and ate some of her. Look it up, funny stuff.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:35 am »

I caught a cold. It's midsummer and I caught a cold from a night of urban camping.

I don't think the temperature affect whether or not you get a cold. Didn't that assumption come from a temporary thing where you got cold-like symptoms for a while after exposed to the cold?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:29 am »

Usually cloudy here during the perseids, so I've not been able to watch them yet.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:02 am »

Considering our entire species is hell of into wars and killing eachother/everything, how does any sci-fi writer justify that to represent a strong skill with diplomatic affairs?

I think the idea is that everyone else is worse. We've averted far, far more wars than we've fought. It's just that no one wants to write about the war that DIDN'T happen. Maybe the Cling-Ons of Uranus go on a genocidal rampage every time someone flips them the bird.

EDIT:

Also, I haz a sad because GURPS Magic costs THIRTY-FIVE FRIKKIN DOLLARS. SRSLY.
I still want to design that magic-powered starship, even if it is a simple one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:17:35 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:21 am »

Knowing humans, we flip them the bird once a year just for the hell of it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 8167