Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9458697 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #9435 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:25 am »

Man that sucks  :[

I also have to say my past self is incomprehensible to me now.

Yeah, seriously.  I just have no idea what I was thinking, really.  Like... at all.

(Fortunately, my aunt is okay).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:57 am »

This is the sort of thing that makes me afraid of having children.
Now this is something capable of making me sad. See, I've noticed that it's always the smart ones who have that kind of thoughts. They reflect on their own ability to raise children, based on what they know about themselves and the world, and quite often come to the conclusion that they're just too lacking in too many areas to be a good parent, or that the world is too unkind and harsh to damn another soul to existence etc.
Considering that intelligence is hereditary - either through genetics or upbringing - the human race seems to be bent on staying dumber than it could be.
Smart ones ponder and ponder, while the simple minds just fuck and multiply.

In this light, intelligence seems to be evolutionarily disadvantageous.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: August 07, 2010, 11:36:47 am »

It's okay though because like-minded people can find groups for themselves.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: August 07, 2010, 11:41:16 am »

Now this is something capable of making me sad. See, I've noticed that it's always the smart ones who have that kind of thoughts. They reflect on their own ability to raise children, based on what they know about themselves and the world, and quite often come to the conclusion that they're just too lacking in too many areas to be a good parent, or that the world is too unkind and harsh to damn another soul to existence etc.

The thing is, I can understand what years of depression did to formulating my personality and thought process--and it was actually very good.  It just really, really sucked, and I can't ethically put someone else through that.  Given my genetics and, uh, near-ballistic level of absent-mindedness, they'd probably end up even more screwed up than I was.

*shrug*

Plus, I'm hoping to marry late, because I have a ... thing ... for older men ._.;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: August 07, 2010, 11:42:19 am »

Well, I'm getting as much as possible, so I'm gonna try and help that issue.

Also, from what we've seen here, Vector, you'd make a fine parent. Better than most, anyways, and that's enough. There are alot of parents that:
A: Beat their kids. With like, sticks and paddles and concrete blocks and shit.

B: Spoil their children with new sports cars before they get their flippin' permit, Massive birthday parties, that kinda thing. It's O.K every once in a while, but constantly that just renders them incapable of being anywhere else in life.

It's okay though because like-minded people can find groups for themselves.
Are you saying that while humanity as a whole gets dumber, smart people get smarter?
Yeah, that makes sense, actually.

GODDAMN IT STOP NIJA'ING MY GODDAMN POST
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: August 07, 2010, 11:49:15 am »

Children are a waste, anyway. I have yet to meet someone who's life seemed enriched by having offspring. I know people who claim this, and perhaps the emotional value of raising children is great enough to outweigh the drain on your life, but as far as I can see it has only served to tie them down. Really, it just seems like people have children out of either social pressure or by accident.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:48 am »

Children are a waste, anyway. I have yet to meet someone who's life seemed enriched by having offspring. I know people who claim this, and perhaps the emotional value of raising children is great enough to outweigh the drain on your life, but as far as I can see it has only served to tie them down. Really, it just seems like people have children out of either social pressure or by accident.

My, you are a lonely one.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: August 07, 2010, 11:51:07 am »

I'm hoping to marry late, because I have a ... thing ... for older men ._.;;
I think that you're missing a very important fact here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:52 am »

This again? I told you before, I am both not lonely and content with my life.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: August 07, 2010, 11:53:38 am »

I'm hoping to marry late, because I have a ... thing ... for older men ._.;;
I think that you're missing a very important fact here.

... I'm not having children at 40, doodabuddy, and I really don't want to get involved with someone 10 or 15 years older than me.  Make more sense?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: August 07, 2010, 11:55:07 am »

This again? I told you before, I am both not lonely and content with my life.

Then you should propagate your clearly superior genes! Otherwise the biological imperative is wasted on you, bro.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: August 07, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

The concept of superior and inferior genes is somewhat flawed. The closest thing to that is a genotype that creates the best phenotype for your enviorment. Individual genes can't really count in that matter.

And there's more to the biological imperative than just reproduction.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: August 07, 2010, 11:59:30 am »

Yes. Specifically, more reproduction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: August 07, 2010, 12:03:29 pm »

The ultimate goal of the biological imperative is reproduction, but being free-willed, I can tell that goal to fuck off and leave me alone. I find much more joy in surviving myself than sacrificing potential in my life for the sake of some stupid brats who will most likely hate me anyway.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:07 pm »

Someone has daddy issues.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 8167