Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461602 times)

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #9375 on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »

I guess it's kind of self-contradicting, but I'm probably going to start on "happy peelz" soon, due to a strain of mental issues.
It makes me sad. Especially since a close friend of mine doesn't take it all that seriously.
Oh well. We can't have it all.

Although, the rest of my life is pretty sweet, so I don't know if I should complain >.>

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:35 pm »

I doubt druging yourself will solve whatever mental issue you have. Then again, I am without details.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »

I doubt druging yourself will solve whatever mental issue you have. Then again, I am without details.
I assume it's me you're adressing. And, well, Psychiatrist's orders. Or rather; recommendation. I have no idea how it's going to help, but she's experienced : 0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: August 06, 2010, 09:16:54 pm »

I assume it's me you're adressing. And, well, Psychiatrist's orders. Or rather; recommendation. I have no idea how it's going to help, but she's experienced : 0
Alright, she thinks it's a good idea. But it's your life. The important thing is if you think this is the correct course of action. You don't know what this medication will do to you. It could change your mental state so that living is much worse on them than just enduring the mental issues. It could make you dependent. Psychiatric experience means nothing if you can't think to yourself that she's correct in her recommended treatment.

Find out about the effects and side-effects of this medication from the FDA, and think to yourself about this decision. Medical doctors of all kinds are there to use their training to help us make the best choices for ourselves. But ultimately, your thoughts on the matter are the only ones that count.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: August 06, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

Internet was down all day, I have an ear infection/minor migraine combo :/

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: August 06, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

minor migraine

A minor migraine is like being half pregnant. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. You have one or you don't.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: August 06, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »

Does said happy pills work by increasing the level of endorphines in activity in your brain?

There have been studies showing that, on the long run, these pills are a really bad idea, because eventualy your brain becomes numb to the extra ammount of endorphines, which actualy makes you LESS happy, causing you to require even higher levels of endorphines to feel ok. Its a vicious circle, in the end you end up needing so much endorphines just to not be sad that there's no medication in the world, sans scary stuff like cocaine, that will keep you from going into deep drepression.

IF thats true, then "happy pills" are much more dangerous then any disorder you might have. This however, was said when these kind of pills were just entering the market, maybe they improved the formula.

Then again I'm no neurologist or psychiatrist, but seek extra information anyway.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: August 06, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »

Alright, she thinks it's a good idea. But it's your life. The important thing is if you think this is the correct course of action. You don't know what this medication will do to you. It could change your mental state so that living is much worse on them than just enduring the mental issues. It could make you dependent. Psychiatric experience means nothing if you can't think to yourself that she's correct in her recommended treatment.

Find out about the effects and side-effects of this medication from the FDA, and think to yourself about this decision. Medical doctors of all kinds are there to use their training to help us make the best choices for ourselves. But ultimately, your thoughts on the matter are the only ones that count.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately we don't have the FDA here(Norway *cough*)
So I can't check with them(Although we have equivalents I guess). However, it is mandatory to post EVERYTHING about it on the labels and such and such. And my psychiatrist would never, ever try to give me something that would fuck me up. Nor would I ever take it. I'm not that kind of messed up.
This is, I would add, not a decision I would really make on my own, as it turns out that my decision-making skills is not exactly on par with even a braindamaged monkey, when it comes to shit like this, and I would rather trust friends, and/or my psychiatrist.
Is this even a good way to cope with depression? I have no idea.
But, I'll check the stuff out before using it, have no worries.
Funny though, having someone directly adressing me about this over the net.
Does said happy pills work by increasing the level of endorphines in activity in your brain?

There have been studies showing that, on the long run, these pills are a really bad idea, because eventualy your brain becomes numb to the extra ammount of endorphines, which actualy makes you LESS happy, causing you to require even higher levels of endorphines to feel ok. Its a vicious circle, in the end you end up needing so much endorphines just to not be sad that there's no medication in the world, sans scary stuff like cocaine, that will keep you from going into deep drepression.

IF thats true, then "happy pills" are much more dangerous then any disorder you might have. This however, was said when these kind of pills were just entering the market, maybe they improved the formula.

Then again I'm no neurologist or psychiatrist, but seek extra information anyway.
I would presume that it is something far different than that. I don't think it's some of the heavy stuff she has recommended. I'm not that far out, as I am not in any way suicidal or something as bad. I do know what you're talking about. I think those kinds were banned here a while ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »

Be careful with your trust. Your psychiatrist may act, and even believe herself, that her primary intrest is to help you. Psychiatrists do what they do to make money. This is true of all professions. You don't know for certain that your friends are without ulterior motives. You said yourself that one of them wasn't taking you seriously.

Depression or no depression, you shouldn't put your wellbeing in the hands of others. You are typing to us just fine, so I certainly wouldn't put your judgement below a braindamaiged monkey. This is your life, and no one else truly has a say unless you let them. From what you've typed, it seems as if you've given up all say to others.

Use the medication if you think it is right, do not if you have reserves about doing so. And just remember: If you're forever dependent on a chemical to keep yourself out of depression, you aren't really rid of it. It's just supressed, waiting to burst forth more than ever once the meds run out.

No Gods, No Masters.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: August 06, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »

Be careful with your trust. Your psychiatrist may act, and even believe herself, that her primary intrest is to help you. Psychiatrists do what they do to make money. This is true of all professions. You don't know for certain that your friends are without ulterior motives. You said yourself that one of them wasn't taking you seriously.

Depression or no depression, you shouldn't put your wellbeing in the hands of others. You are typing to us just fine, so I certainly wouldn't put your judgement below a braindamaiged monkey. This is your life, and no one else truly has a say unless you let them. From what you've typed, it seems as if you've given up all say to others.

Use the medication if you think it is right, do not if you have reserves about doing so. And just remember: If you're forever dependent on a chemical to keep yourself out of depression, you aren't really rid of it. It's just supressed, waiting to burst forth more than ever once the meds run out.
Well, my psychiatrist works on a goverment payroll, so she ain't making jack shit on "selling" me this, as she is actually, well, losing on it. I think. I'm not sure.
I will ultimately decide for myself. I'm not forced. But, I've come to realize that I have no choice. Not after a lot of the things that have transpired in my life. It would be better in many ways, but it still has a lot of cons. Mostly related to a certain girlfriend and so on.
You give an interesting point, about being dependant on a chemical, and I think the same as you do there. There's no point if I'm going to through my life with only that thing keeping me happy. Thing is though. That for me not to be depressed during such a crucial, and early period of my life, is quite important. I'm sure you understand.
I'm not really sad over the fact that I'm probably going to use it, more over the fact that I need it somehow. Feels like using a cheat code. But, if it can save me from  perma-Depression, I'm all the more merry to go for it.
I'll have to say thanks for caring, though. The internet is less of a harsh place than many imagine.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »

minor migraine

A minor migraine is like being half pregnant. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. You have one or you don't.
So? You can still have migraines that hurt more or less than others.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: August 06, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »

Just saying. It's probably an inner ear infection that is pairing with the Headache. I never knew a migrane that would let the person actually do something like post on a fourm. Mine put me out for the whole day.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: August 06, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

I've had migraines that I didn't even recognize as such at the time, I just thought it was a bad headache... Though then again, it DID take away my ability to read for an hour or so... That was really weird.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: August 06, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »

I've had migraines that I didn't even recognize as such at the time, I just thought it was a bad headache... Though then again, it DID take away my ability to read for an hour or so... That was really weird.

Even if you don't know it's a migraine, if it's severe enough to prevent you from functioning normally (i.e. what all migraines do) then it's not minor.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: August 06, 2010, 11:42:03 pm »

Also. Has anyone heard of "Suicide headaches?"

Dear god. Those. Sound. Terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 8167