Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9481049 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #8775 on: August 01, 2010, 04:35:08 am »

Well, if you really are unwilling to excise him from your life (and really, you should), than the only option I see is to force him to see that he harms others with his ignorant actions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: August 01, 2010, 04:46:31 am »

Vector, you seem to have a knack for incensing people about things.

I... I know ._.  I have an odd skill for making people want to believe whatever I'm saying or projecting at the time.  I don't do it intentionally, and I don't know how it works, but it's there.  Good for making people like or hate you, in any case.

If that sounded backhanded, that totally wasn't my intent. It's just my habit of passively picking at people's brains, trying to get a peek, if only for a moment, into their head. That, and perpetually looking for patterns and trends in things, including people. We're still bros. >.<;

He taught me a good many lessons, both positive and negative.  I learned more than I ever wanted to know about trusting people, and I would have liked to have been equally helpful.  If he keeps this up, he's going to be miserable later.  I wish I knew how to stop it, how to protect him from himself, something--because curse me, but I can't help loving every person I meet.  I don't want to abandon the poor bastard, but I don't want to enable him either.

That's a hazy line to walk, between caring for others, and caring for yourself. Unless you're secretly moonlighting as a Titan, you can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, and help its every person. Pick your battles, and don't let yourself feel indebted to help him as he helped you. As a matter of fact, the lessons you learned through the pain and joy felt during your time with him were all lessons you taught yourself. The events from your time with him just presented the scenarios that you learned about yourself, and about the world from.

You can't force someone to learn how to be a more complete person... someone needs to come to that on their own, and they'll only do that when they're ready to. In the immortal words of Paul McCartney, let it be.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:50:19 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:21 am »

Well, if you really are unwilling to excise him from your life (and really, you should), than the only option I see is to force him to see that he harms others with his ignorant actions.

A basic explanation:

There's maybe two D&D sessions left this summer.  I don't want to make a giant scene by refusing to play.  Next summer, I fully intend to be somewhere else--so this is pretty much it for my forced involvement with him, anyway.

The situation of "not being in the group but still playing D&D with them" is complicated, so I won't explain it here.

If he wants to contact me at some point, he can send an email and I'll decide what to do about it then.  The basic plan, though, is to forget about friendly overtures for the near (and likely distant) future.

That's a hazy line to walk, between caring for others, and caring for yourself. Unless you're secretly moonlighting as a Titan, you can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, and help its every person. Pick your battles, and don't let yourself feel indebted to help him as he helped you. As a matter of fact, the lessons you learned through the pain and joy felt during your time with him were all lessons you taught yourself. The events from your time with him just presented the scenarios that you learned about yourself, and about the world from.

You can't force someone to learn how to be a more complete person... someone needs to come to that on their own, and they'll only do that when they're ready to. In the immortal words of Paul McCartney, let it be.

He who is condemned to liberty carries the weight of the world on his shoulders (J-P Sartre).

Other than that, you have a very good point.  Thank you for the kind advice.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04:04 am »

I am sorry I can't help you Vector.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: August 01, 2010, 05:06:02 am »

You don't have to make a giant scene by refusing to play. If he's become the tyrannical leader of this group, then I doubt any of the others will associate with you again if you leave. Just tell them you don't want to play anymore and be done with it. Lie if you must. You won't be accomplishing anything by forcing yourself into a unhappy situation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: August 01, 2010, 05:10:31 am »

I don't mean to be intrusive Vector, but can you give an example of how he's stuck his foot into your game group? Like, something specific?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: August 01, 2010, 05:38:37 am »

There's maybe two D&D sessions left this summer.  I don't want to make a giant scene by refusing to play.

You don't have to make a giant scene. You can just excuse yourself for any reason, or no reason.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: August 01, 2010, 06:05:26 am »

Jeez, Vector. Here's a bit of advice from myself:
You date only those people who make you feel good. Keep it simple.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #8783 on: August 01, 2010, 06:33:25 am »

I found Soul Reaver 2's gameplay to be a bit... lacking. They managed to take more out then they put in.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: August 01, 2010, 07:46:41 am »

My Gentoo won't boot anymore :(

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: August 01, 2010, 08:04:01 am »

You do know it is possible for somebody who is very tough and knows how to fight to beat somebody who knows *insert exotic fighting thingy here*

"Very tough and knows how to fight."  Uh-huh.  I'm a 110-lb, 5'3" girl--and a colossal math nerd, at that.  Not exactly what you call tops in toughness or fighting.

He'd throw me, pin me, and make it impossible for me to move without breaking my own arms in seconds flat.

*bzzzzt*

Next contender, please >_>

I'd be willing to teach you both Muay Thai and Ninjutsu. 13 years of Mixed Martial Arts experience should count for something. You'd have to come to me, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: August 01, 2010, 08:06:03 am »

I'd be willing to teach you both Muay Thai and Ninjutsu. 13 years of Mixed Martial Arts experience should count for something. You'd have to come to me, though.

Each of those three sentences is missing the point in different but equally frightening ways.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: August 01, 2010, 08:37:00 am »

Violence is obviously not the answer. It never is. It's a last resort. I teach Self Defense, not "How to beat people up." Vector simply stated that she would be easily overpowered, and I gave a legitimate offer to overcome that problem. I'd be willing to extend that offer to anyone, even if I thought that they had more experience fighting than I.

Also, I can't leave Michigan to teach. I kinda have a day job.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: August 01, 2010, 08:40:06 am »

Don't worry Vector I am Passive-Agressive Man!  Evil doers will doer no harm to you!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: August 01, 2010, 10:48:05 am »

Formaldehyde is deadly toxic and used to preserve dead bodies.
Most other alcohols are the same way.  Deadly toxic and can preserve dead meat.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 8167