Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9457526 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #6600 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:14 am »

Pathos being muted was fugravating.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:51 am »

Neruz was banned

Okay, a bit unexpected.

Not if you were following his posts.

I wasn't, so yeah, bit unexpected but the majority of the black marks he racked up with Toady were under the radar.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: June 06, 2010, 12:04:21 am »

Has WD been around lately?

I think Piecewise went back to mucking around in the upper fora again.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: June 06, 2010, 12:04:39 am »

It's amazing how little banning/muting happens on this forum. Most of the time all Toady has to do is post telling everybody to stop fighting and the tread dies for several days as everyone cowers in awe of the Toady One.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:10 am »

I think that is one advantage of having a single moderator who rarely seems to post.
They're elevated to near mythic levels, leading to a post from them being more powerful than banning the person responsible.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: June 06, 2010, 12:07:32 am »

It kinda helps that Toady, you know, made DF. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: June 06, 2010, 12:07:41 am »

It's also because he rarely posts because he's working on a game we all love. fakeedit: I SAID IT FIRST, IT'S JUST THAT TIME AND SPACE WARPED.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:06 am »

Same thing happened on this forum I used to go to.
There was this one moderator who rarely posted, and when she did, it was all serious and stuff.
The other mods were too active in the community to be very threatening.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:55 am »

It's also because he rarely posts because he's working on a game we all love. fakeedit: I SAID IT FIRST, IT'S JUST THAT TIME AND SPACE WARPED.

It's not my fault you're incapable of messing with the space-time continuum.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: June 06, 2010, 12:16:28 am »

I have to sleep.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: June 06, 2010, 12:16:39 am »

Oh you crazy kids. There was a Nike spam attack that posted a couple in each category, and many replied to them according to the category. Before it got removed, the Nike forum game was short-lived but hilarious. There was also a few spammers trying to get people to use their FIFA spreadsheets, since one person made one for us.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: June 06, 2010, 12:23:18 am »

Oh you crazy kids. There was a Nike spam attack that posted a couple in each category, and many replied to them according to the category. Before it got removed, the Nike forum game was short-lived but hilarious. There was also a few spammers trying to get people to use their FIFA spreadsheets, since one person made one for us.

That was fun. We started a succession game with that bot.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: June 06, 2010, 12:55:55 am »

It's amazing how little banning/muting happens on this forum. Most of the time all Toady has to do is post telling everybody to stop fighting and the tread dies for several days as everyone cowers in awe of the Toady One.
It's my observation that moderation seems almost entirely random. For almost any given situation that ends in a lock/ban/mute, there are equivalent or worse things that go completely unnoticed until they die on their own. It's kind of scary, actually, because you can't just follow the observable boundaries of etiquette (which come off as quite a ways beyond a literal interpretation of the rules) and expect to be fine.

Now, sometimes it's quite obvious when someone steps over any acceptable line (and even then, punishment is fairly rare), while other times there's nothing out of the ordinary, yet all hell rains down on seemingly random participants (like poor Neruz :'().

I'm not, however, afraid to say this, because I know Toady is mature enough not to flip shit over mild criticism, unlike mods in some other forums...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: June 06, 2010, 12:58:13 am »

If it seems like the thread has died and everybody is cowering, it's actually because flame wars get deleted en masse.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: June 06, 2010, 01:04:27 am »

It's my observation that moderation seems almost entirely random. For almost any given situation that ends in a lock/ban/mute, there are equivalent or worse things that go completely unnoticed until they die on their own. It's kind of scary, actually, because you can't just follow the observable boundaries of etiquette (which come off as quite a ways beyond a literal interpretation of the rules) and expect to be fine.

Now, sometimes it's quite obvious when someone steps over any acceptable line (and even then, punishment is fairly rare), while other times there's nothing out of the ordinary, yet all hell rains down on seemingly random participants (like poor Neruz :'().

As far as I can tell, Threetoe will only look at a thread that's been reported. Toady rarely goes outside the talking-about-latest-version thread unless he see his name in the topic of a thread in DF General Discussion. So in theory unless someone is reporting a post, a fight won't get intervened upon by one of the dynamic duo at all, no matter how rude. Likewise pretty tame fights that get reported are likely to feel the strike of the banhammer regardless of content.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 8167