Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9478018 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #6015 on: May 23, 2010, 12:52:02 am »

Hi!

Reading some of the comments people have posted here about Armok after he has clarified his position have made me sad.

He expressed that he didn't like how they didn't show at least the basic decency of telling him that they wanted to fool around with his piece of art and thus wanted his permission to do so. Since he has drawn the avatar himself, he has every right to demand that they show at least that bit of respect. Actually, from the way he said it, I would think he would have been alright with an art thread dedicated to variants of the avatar - if he got involved with its conception.

In my opinion, the way his original art and he as the artist were treated was indeed fundamentally wrong. Thus, I find it justified even just by that aspect that he got upset. And as he got upset about his rights being violated, moderator action was indeed necessary, as people still don't seem to understand what was wrong. (On a personal note, I prefer it if people first calmly and friendly talk about such things and only turn to the moderators when it becomes obvious that they can't resolve the issue in a peaceful and respectful manner).

To make matters worse, Armok points out that he was actively being mocked with people making fun of his spelling. Even if you don't understand why art theft and disrespect towards artists is a bad thing, once the victim says they feel made fun of, you should realize that we are talking about bullying there (I have to admit that I had not noticed the spelling bit but only saw the variant avatars).

Therefore, I fully support Armok in this and I am saddened by people criticizing him for his justified grievances.

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6016 on: May 23, 2010, 02:30:26 am »

Why does this make you feel sad?

Anyway, i'm reading an Alternate History story about WW1 were the Zerg invade right in the middle.

Its so god dammed bad.
Wait, this is bad?
Where did you get this?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: May 23, 2010, 06:55:56 am »

Sounds like the Starship Troopers movie. Starship Troopers make s me sad...

"Hey, lets take a crummy book, rip everything interesting out of it, and then turn it into a move!"

"I know, lets kill characters that is completely random from and sane perspective, yet completely predictable according the dramatic convention!"

"Aaaaargh... I'm dying... but my whole life... was worthwhile because... of our... one... night... stand..."

I am also sad because there are probably fans of the Starship Troopers movie around here...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: May 23, 2010, 06:59:58 am »

I liked the book... kinda...

The movie was enjoyable if you liked that kind of cheesy stuff. The propaganda bits were funny. soldiers handing out bullets and demonstrations of rifle use to kids? LULZ
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: May 23, 2010, 07:05:36 am »

I loved Starship Troopers for the same reasons I loved the Twilight movie. They're both hilariously bad, but Twilight is better because it takes itself seriously. Starship Troopers doesn't, which makes it worth watching in my opinion, provided you have prepared adequately (beer and more than two people to heckle the movie with).

Really, Starship Troopers should have been called "The rapid promotion and improbably reunions of several friends who have no idea how to be soldiers".

I still laugh my ass off at the live-fire training scene. Every time.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:13 am »

I like Starship Troopers movie very much. What is more, I even think it is fairly good.

*hides*

*un-hides*

As for the book - well, you should not connect the book with the movie. Not too much at least. Because the movie takes some basic ideas from the book ("Service guarantees citizenship!" etc.) then changes some other things. As said, I do not find this to be bad.
The book itself is magnificent. I read it first when I was much younger and I did not understand much of it. When I was older I read it again and realized just what kind of classic piece of literature it is.
Surely, comapared to movie it feels much deeper, intimate, psychological - but on the other hand, movie does not even try that because that is not it's point.

...But maybe I should stop at this point before I am deemed even a bigger arse than then I'll be due to posting this upper paragraph.  :P

*hides again*
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:56 am »

Hey, I really like Starship Troopers. I may have come off a leetel bit pretentious there. It's well made, the explosions are cool and the fight scenes are shooty-actiony. It's a movie that set out to be a dumb, funny, awesome action move and I think it achieved that impressively.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: May 23, 2010, 08:16:23 am »

Hey, I really like Starship Troopers. I may have come off a leetel bit pretentious there. It's well made, the explosions are cool and the fight scenes are shooty-actiony. It's a movie that set out to be a dumb, funny, awesome action move and I think it achieved that impressively.
This, go in expecting cheese.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:45 am »

Anyway, i'm reading an Alternate History story about WW1 were the Zerg invade right in the middle.

Its so god dammed bad.
Wait, this is bad?
Where did you get this?
I would like this answered, I am a HUGE fan of harry turtledove the king of alternative history and I like starcraft even if blizzard cant keep thier lore stright  (if you don't know about the turtledove's World War novels then look him up its basically worldwar 2 with realistic beliavable aliens)
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: May 23, 2010, 09:54:46 am »

Its so god dammed bad.
Wait, this is bad?
Where did you get this?
I would like this answered, I am a HUGE fan of harry turtledove the king of alternative history and I like starcraft even if blizzard cant keep thier lore stright  (if you don't know about the turtledove's World War novels then look him up its basically worldwar 2 with realistic beliavable aliens)

Its a very badly written story on the internet, were WW1 era the world is invaded by the Zerg (They are called something else, but there still fucking Zerg.) All historical figures this guy can pull out of his ass are made into badass's (Hitler runs around eviscerating aliens and ranting about "Dem dam Jews").

AND IT IS SO BAD.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:10 am »

Well, Hitler did participate in WW1 as a common footsoldier...but this still sounds rather silly.
I would kindly request a source of this to confirm my fears.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: May 23, 2010, 10:25:13 am »

Hi!

I just found another thing that made me sad today:

Not having Toady One's phone number to give him an emergency call about that annoying spambot.
Let's just hope that thing sticks to creating new threads and does not start replying in existing threads.

Deathworks (who hates spam, spambots, and sport shoes)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: May 23, 2010, 10:25:54 am »

Yeah, spambots suck.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: May 23, 2010, 10:31:30 am »

I find it entertaining, as the various subsections are replying to it in their stylistic ways.

My favorite being the forum games and roleplaying :P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 8167