Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494013 times)

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #5640 on: May 17, 2010, 07:12:56 am »

Oh shutup, I've made up my mind. If I have a chance to kill myself, I'll take it without looking back.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:12 am »

Few people with the time to register on a forum and tell people that they are going to kill themselves will go through with it, because few have any reason to. I've always promised to be honest in situations like this:

You won't go through with it because you would have already if you were going to. You know it's the cowards way out, you know you can do better and you know you can overcome whatever problem you're facing without having to off yourself to avoid it otherwise you wouldn't have come to us to tell us about it. So either overcome this problem (and seek help, because nobody expects or wants you to do this alone), or inflict catastrophic emotional harm on friends and family for your own sake and no gain.

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:03 am »

I'm miserable. There's nothing enjoyable in my life.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: May 17, 2010, 09:36:01 am »

All my years of trying to kill myself and only now that I've had examples to look at it from the outside before it happens I realize it's so damn cowardly.

That in itself makes me sad. Thinking about what things might of been like had I actually done it or did it right.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: May 17, 2010, 09:43:39 am »

Jookia - have you tried, y'know, talking to a psychiatrist?  Or finding something enjoyable to do?  Or working out exactly WHAT is making you unhappy?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:36 am »

All my years of trying to kill myself and only now that I've had examples to look at it from the outside before it happens I realize it's so damn cowardly.

That in itself makes me sad. Thinking about what things might of been like had I actually done it or did it right.
But what would you say to a person who is in a situation that you were in? What do you feel would help yourself the most if said to you in those harrowing times? A lot of us have no idea what this feels like, and what the proper thing would be to say to a guy like Jook? Unless the saying is a cowards way out is the necessary thing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:21 am »

By steriotype, every long-term B12 member has played DF, is smarter than the average goose, doesn't use 'lol' very often, has good spelling and punctuation, likes to be chill, and has seriously thought about or attempted to commit suicide.

It's true.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: May 17, 2010, 09:56:55 am »

What I would say is he probably needs some perspective. A lot of times I decided just not to do it was after I realized that I wasn't as bad off as I thought. And that if I did it it would hurt people. That's usually what it took for me. Just some perspective.

While I might not be totally out of the depression yet I can say I don't want to kill myself anymore. But generally to me it looks like he's too far gone to listen to anyone and he's either gonna try to do it or decide not to. But the big thing is if you can't go through with it the first time odds are you wont be able to bring yourself to. Compared to me, given when I was around 15 I tried to hang myself and it failed because the beam I tied the rope to broke from rot and age.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:49 am »

My right eye hurts when I blink.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: May 17, 2010, 10:12:02 am »

My right eye hurts when I blink.
Suicide. It's the only solution.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5650 on: May 17, 2010, 11:55:26 am »

There was a storm when I woke up, and there's another one about to hit soon. I may not have much time to lurk.

Annoyingly enough, I might finally get my replacement card either before I leave for work, or while I'm there. The rain doesn't help bring it sooner.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and there's a crap-ton of lightning striking closely. Damn! I might have to go. What a short online session. :(

Oh, and putting in my 2 cents, suicide is a cowardly thing to do by any means. Don't do it. Later. :power surge:

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, and the storm has passed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:52:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: May 17, 2010, 12:23:38 pm »

This didn't make me sad so much as somber and thoughtful when it popped up the other day.

Quote from: Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man
It's said that science will dehumanize people and turn them into numbers. That's false, tragically false. Look for yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance, it was done by dogma, it was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods
Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge of error and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible. In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

I owe it as a scientist to my friend Leo Szilard, I owe it as a human being to the many members of my family who died here, to stand here as a survivor and a witness. We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power. We have to close the distance between the push-button order and the human act. We have to touch people."

Powerful words, as we move from the era where we understood the world through spirituality, and continue progressing toward understanding before explaining. In recent years, people have moved away from this same spirituality, and come to question the importance of morality without the pressures once imposed by spiritual rewards and punnishments.

I think that we sense this void of morality, innately, and that is what drive the religious into dogmatic fervor, decrying the wrongs of the modern era, and fighting them with all their heart.

I fear a great many people don't grasp the vital importance of morality to society... and if we lack a higher authority to govern it, then morality becomes something we must choose to adopt, without desire for reward, or fear of punnishment. It's frightening for us to trust others like that. People will inevitably exploit this, as they have.

What would come of us then, if we forsook religion and mysticism entirely? Could we have the society and world we not have without dogma? If our culture lacks a supernatural enforcer who holds people accountable, can people hold themselves to high enough standards of morality that our society can persist and continue to rise, or will the order and world we've built disintigrate along with it?

That is where I fear humanity is heading. The next few centuries will be the most trying test of human integrity and evolution yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: May 17, 2010, 12:31:27 pm »

I realized that i am probably going to be too late with buying my metalcamp ticket, and dammit i really want to go, i mean Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Devil Driver, Finntroll, Hammerfall, Manowar(altough MC only :( ) and so many more.(I hope that none of you upon seeing this list go and buy a lot of holiday tickets, i will track you down)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:26 pm »

Powerful words, as we move from the era where we understood the world through spirituality, and continue progressing toward understanding before explaining. In recent years, people have moved away from this same spirituality, and come to question the importance of morality without the pressures once imposed by spiritual rewards and punnishments.

I think that we sense this void of morality, innately, and that is what drive the religious into dogmatic fervor, decrying the wrongs of the modern era, and fighting them with all their heart.

I fear a great many people don't grasp the vital importance of morality to society... and if we lack a higher authority to govern it, then morality becomes something we must choose to adopt, without desire for reward, or fear of punnishment. It's frightening for us to trust others like that. People will inevitably exploit this, as they have.

What would come of us then, if we forsook religion and mysticism entirely? Could we have the society and world we not have without dogma? If our culture lacks a supernatural enforcer who holds people accountable, can people hold themselves to high enough standards of morality that our society can persist and continue to rise, or will the order and world we've built disintigrate along with it?

That is where I fear humanity is heading. The next few centuries will be the most trying test of human integrity and evolution yet.

Morality can exist without religion and in fact is very likely to exist unless the whole world gets some kind of psychotic disease. You are more likely to be held to high standards by your peers than an invisible force (even though god is a good excuse for them to yell at you). Morality does in fact change over time, we used to be very strict morally and we will be again, but there will be many many differant cultural movements and ideals until that happens. For example only a few hundered years ago (or less...) it was perfectly acceptable to marry a 13 year old. IMO the world is just very reactionary to whatever the current trends happen to be.

Edit: By the way, spartans practiced eugenics and they turned out okay. I think it's absolutely horrible, but they seemed to beleive it was the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:52:10 pm by HideousBeing »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: May 17, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »

This is not a thing of trends or fads. As a species, we are in the throes of the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one. For the last few centuries, we've been witnessing a shift of paradigm, from warring mystical absolutism to a scientific understanding that we can observe and predict things, and agree upon them as a group, but never fully know them. We're fighting within ourselves, as we struggle out of the cocoon of dogmatic certitude, and into a new method to look at the universe, and at ourselves. Without absolute justice, absolute power, absolute right or wrong... what then do we measure our behaviors against?

Our generation is one with more possibilities and freedoms than ever We can learn and do whatever we want to, communicate and do business with anyone near instantly, can love and in many cases marry whoever we want to, and more. As we move toward more and more freedom, and a greater communal understanding, we have grown stagnant within ourselves. We settle for existing, for doing, for working towards the goals we set for ourselves... the stagnation either consumes us, or drives us to create milestones and goals for ourselves; little things to measure the time, the successfullness of our lives and of civilization by.

As we break down the walls between ourselves and the possibilities for who and what we can become, we are approaching an immensely larger wall... the one that stands between the individual, and the whole. We are still trying to decide who we will be as individuals... and we have to do that before we can decide who we will be as a Species.

Spoiler: Morality and Eugenics (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 8167