Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9493246 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #5431 on: May 12, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

Blorgh.

Blorgh?

Blorgh.  Working through Issues I'd really like to have worked through and be done with.  I always end up with another spike of unhappiness as something new dislodges itself.

I guess I'm still mildly depressed.  I feel pretty funny... people have been acting weird.  Things aren't quite the way I thought they were, and I'm looking for somewhere new for my personality to settle down.  Part of it managed to settle, but a lot of it is still up in the air.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »

DEFICIT OF SADNESS DETECTED. DEPLOYING SADNESS GENERATOR. PLEASE HOLD FOR DEPLOYMENT.
SADNESS GENERATOR DEPLOYED.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: May 12, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »

... Why would that make one sad?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: May 12, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »

It only makes you sad if you have anything resembling a heart.

Poor Scorpy must live with that guilt forever.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: May 12, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »

:-[
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: May 12, 2010, 08:57:03 pm »

Don't eat the dog that feeds you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

Okay, now I feel kinda bad for linking that.  :-\

Blorgh.

Blorgh?

Blorgh.  Working through Issues I'd really like to have worked through and be done with.  I always end up with another spike of unhappiness as something new dislodges itself.

I guess I'm still mildly depressed.  I feel pretty funny... people have been acting weird.  Things aren't quite the way I thought they were, and I'm looking for somewhere new for my personality to settle down.  Part of it managed to settle, but a lot of it is still up in the air.

In my experience, the depression never "goes away" per se, but the overwhelming ones do subside. It's a state you can still enter though, and the best way to avoid it is to keep doing things that keep you busy, and that you enjoy. The little ones will go away if you keep your mind off them.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: May 12, 2010, 09:04:25 pm »

Don't eat the dog that feeds you.

Hehe. Eating the dog means it's technically feeding you.

Also? Don't ever go to the Northern Philippines, you won't like what they do with dogs.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: May 12, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »

Hehe, and I would know.

Just kidding, it was my driver who ate dog. He said it was gooood.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:19 pm »

It only makes you sad if you have anything resembling a heart.

Poor Scorpy must live with that guilt forever.

... I did not understand that comic at all.  Now I finally do.  I'm like "... Why does that Cthulhu-alien have oddly-shaped eyes?  This is senseless."  Now I understand that he was supposed to be crying >_>

In my experience, the depression never "goes away" per se, but the overwhelming ones do subside. It's a state you can still enter though, and the best way to avoid it is to keep doing things that keep you busy, and that you enjoy. The little ones will go away if you keep your mind off them.

Yeah, I know, and thanks for the advice.  It's taking longer than I'd expected to process all the bullcrap around my former relationship, though, and I got a bit off-kilter from my regime of diet and exercise.  I end up thinking "I could just do math for the rest of my life, and never talk to anyone but students/other professors, and then I'd never have to feel like this again."  The relationship wasn't worth it, emotionally (though the lessons certainly were).  I don't want to date anyone who uses game theory to keep his theoretical "partner" at a disadvantage.  Especially not when he's being so blatant about it.  "You tell me how you feel, and I'll never tell you" seemed to be his modus operandi.  The more I think about it, the more it seems like he was just lying to himself about how good his intentions were.  How can you relate to someone if you're completely unwilling to make yourself vulnerable... ?

I'm also so goddamned tired of my family dumping on me that I could stab something.  My father is a mildly misogynistic traditionalist and my mom gets so anxious over everything that she can't keep herself under control.  I want to get out of here and ... do something else.  Just not this.  A new scene, different people.

To be clear, I'm not ragingly depressed.  I have plans.  I'm keeping myself stable and learning the skills I need to Deal With Life over the next 8.5 months, and then I'm going back to school... and, if I'm lucky, I'm not coming back.  I just wish I had something really great to do while waiting, something to keep me preoccupied and obsessed and happy.  Not just more stuff.  Somehow, I'm looking for an adventure.

Or maybe I'll go to the pound and pet kittens and come home and grow a flower garden.  That might cheer me up.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:24 pm »

Adventure, you say? If you have kitsch doodads hanging around, and access to a GPS, you should try Geocaching in your local area. It's a great thing to do by yourself, or with anyone you can drag along. It's a great goal-oriented outdoor activity, often leads to really neat places outdoors, or little-known historical sites. Many Caches also require you to solve riddles, logic puzzles, orienteering challenges, and so on, and you can get way-cool swag out of it!

Other forms of adventure may include spending an afternoon with various field guides, learning local plants, birds, mushrooms, etc., buying cheep laser guns and organizing a game of Laser Tag Capture-The-Flag with folks from school, or hiking into the woods and building a lean-too fort. For more sedentary adventure, you could spend an afternoon building a Purple Martin house out of hollowed squash shells, or assemble a Rube-Goldberg Machine from toys and household items and film it in action, or make a jar of Napalm/Thermite for burning something entertaining. You could also grab some components from Radio Shack and build some simple electronic devices, like a Supersonic Ear, or a Short-Wave Radio Transceiver, or practice photography, or pick up a music-writing program and fiddle around with it, or dig out a telescope and try to find a planet.

When you have 8.5 months of sabbatical, you could do any of a near-infinite number of things. I wish I had those sorts of days again... I spend 8 hours a day working, and 4 more at school for most of the week. Cherish the free time you have, while you've got it.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »

You could also grab some components from Radio Shack and build some simple electronic devices, like a Supersonic Ear, or a Short-Wave Radio Transceiver, ...

Sadly, you can't make an AM radio with some resistors and capacitors hooked up to an antenna anymore--it's digital.

Other ideas: Juggling, contact juggling, bar tricks, writing, drawing, sculptures. Hiking is fun, too, but generally requires some gas money. Sadly, none of these are with people.

This is the most depressing thing I've heard in over three years. I'm going to sleep and forget about it as much as possible.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: May 13, 2010, 12:23:26 am »

You think that's depressing? Wait til you find out about the meaning of life, or lack thereof.

I accidentally joined a bible study group today.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:44 am »

You think that's depressing? Wait til you find out about the meaning of life
42! [/obviousjoke]
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 8167