Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9496137 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #5160 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:51 am »

Now, you might be saying "you're making a mountain out of a molehill, Vector!" and you'd be partially right.  I know how to do a couple of the above things.  I am struggling mightily with them--and if one more person says "just let things happen," I will stab that person with a fork.  "Just let things happen" has led to my saying things like "Wait, we're friends?  I didn't know!"  Then I lose the friend in question, and everything goes bad.  Sure, I don't do that anymore (learned my lesson).  I do similar things.  There's hundreds of questions I have to fill in, bit by bit, sometimes by questioning people and sometimes by my own careful experimentation.  It's a slow process, and extremely frustrating.

Pardon the earlier ramble. It had been a long day, and towards the end my thoughts were disintigrating into mush. What I meant to say was that, if you just relaxed and let things happ-ARGH! *gets stabbed by a fork*

...okay, so here's my perspective. You've got a command of language, and seem to be able to communicate your ideas well. You write clearly and concisely, and when writing creatively (ala Mafia Narratives), you seem to have a highly-developed understanding of people, their emotions, motives, and so on.

As such, I find it implausible that you are "Socially Stupid," and unless the afforementioned evidence is all an Epic Ruse on your part, I'm inclined to believe that people who have called you that in the past either didn't know how to listen (many, many people are like this), or didn't know you as well as they might think. Granted, face-to-face communication is a lot more complicated than writing, given that you have physical behaviors, facial expressions, and a lot less time to extract the intent from people's words... but 75% of effective communication is understanding what you're trying to say (which you seem to) and the remainder involves being able to put yourself in the opposite person's shoes, and figuring out how to help them to understand what's in your head. You can't write or say an idea... you can only provide words that help people conceptualize similar ideas in their own minds.

Since you seem to be approaching this Heuristically, here's a description of how I tend to handle the second half of communication, which might give you something to check yourself against:

A lot of people have told me that I'm highly empathetic... but if there's some innate "Human Empathy" trait, I definitely don't have it. Instead I spent most of my life learning to "read" people by building a mental database of the traits and feelings of others... I ask them about their opinions on things, and the reasons behind it, without arguing another point. I let them tell stories, and ask them how they felt during certain events, or why they chose to take a certain course of action. As I gathered more examples from more people, I noticed trends and similarities between some things, and from people with similar experiences... and built up a web of traits and assumptions I can make about them, which basically helped me understand what to expect from people. Whenever something didn't fit what I'd assumed to be true, I revised it with the relevnt information.

Using this, I've basically learned how to intuit people's feelings, guess what they're going to do next, or find the best way of talking to them. I figure most people do the same thing, but probably haven't wasted as much time trying to quanlify and understand their own mind... at least as far as interpersonal communication goes.

Back on topic, I'm missing the planning session for a Backpacking outing to Red River Gorge this weekend, so my gear might be all wonky, and I might end up holding up the trip if I'm ill-equipped.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:07 am »

*hugs Vector*
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:00 am »

*hugs Vector*

What, does my lack of a second X Chromasome grant me automatic exclusion from what little comfort is afforded by such silent, mercurial Armok Hugs? How now will I quell the anguished tempest in my heart, or break the bonds of angst holding my spirit fast, like blackened shackles of cold-wrought iron?

How now... how now, Armok, can you profess to care, when your affections dote so on one, and yet pass over another with narry a moment's pause? You are nothing but a villain! A cruel villain, dangling before me your "sympathy", a sliver of a chance to find some surcease from my endless sorrow... and then snatch it away, giving it all to... to her?

*sobs and runs from the thread*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: May 06, 2010, 11:40:42 am »

Hey, Vector, have you thought about trying to join a D&D group? Most decent sized areas have them, and your local gaming store probably has a list of groups looking for players and a place that players can post that they're looking for groups to play in. It'd give you another social outlet. Although you might have to deal with some socially awkward guys who don't know how to handle the fact that you're female. But most of them get over that eventually.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:02 am »

Ok everyone, I just got a memo, an important memo from an important person. That person is me and the memo says you're not allowed to be sad anymore. Go be happy or something.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »

Wait, so basically you want to make friends with/date the tan and muscular?  Interesting.  I'm in the market for the skinny, nerdish set >_>  Well, not right now, but in a year or two.

I may have given off the wrong impression there, I don't want to hang out with people based on their appearance, I really want to have the expanded horizons I had before, where my friends weren't derived from one dimension of my personality. The best times of my life honestly were when I had a six-pack, my gf nearly had one, I had a black hooded jacket I wore everywhere, and did many diverse activities with many diverse people.

The whole working out thing is a step towards other activities, and also to expand my already great looks. If my knees can get better from the stretches too, I'll get back into breakdancing and parkour. The real catch 22 is most of the things I like to do require people, and finding those people require to do the activities. If I can find a job that's better than warehouse work, I'll be able to get my Rebel and start to work towards my skydiving lessons too.

Honestly, I'm still sort of stuck in 2008, since the whole social life thing really cut off after that, I'm also having the added trouble of not really knowing how to interact with the 18-20 crowd, since I'm so used to the 16-18 crowd. Living under the radar at Shawnee University helped, but I had a shoe-in with my room mates and their friends.

@ V
On the forums, you come off as well-tempered, even if your backstory is one of general stress. Since people only know what you tell them, if you talked to someone without the added drama, I couldn't see why they would want to shy away. (I mean that we're all supporting you, but since every Joe off the street doesn't instantly assume everything about your past, it shouldn't be a problem) ((Working out does give a sort of boost to your benefit of the doubt, which is one more reason I do it, though certainly not the only one))
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:38:04 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: May 06, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »

I JUST NEED TO SAY THAT I WILL PROTEST THIS THREAD UNTIL IT IS SHUT DOWN

WE ARE ALL STRONG

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: May 06, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »

I JUST NEED TO SAY THAT I WILL PROTEST THIS THREAD UNTIL IT IS SHUT DOWN

WE ARE ALL STRONG

You make me sad :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:40 pm »

WE DONT HAVE WEAK SIDES

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: May 06, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »

*hugs Vector*

What, does my lack of a second X Chromasome grant me automatic exclusion from what little comfort is afforded by such silent, mercurial Armok Hugs? How now will I quell the anguished tempest in my heart, or break the bonds of angst holding my spirit fast, like blackened shackles of cold-wrought iron?

How now... how now, Armok, can you profess to care, when your affections dote so on one, and yet pass over another with narry a moment's pause? You are nothing but a villain! A cruel villain, dangling before me your "sympathy", a sliver of a chance to find some surcease from my endless sorrow... and then snatch it away, giving it all to... to her?

*sobs and runs from the thread*
Posible answers:
a) YOu write huge walls of text, and I'm just skiming the thread unless I find something intresting, so i skip over them.

b) Yuu are NOT!  ;D

*HUGS SOLIFUGE* ^_^
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »

Thing that made me sad today: I have never posted in the thing that made me happy today thread.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: May 06, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »

Thing that made me sad today: I have never posted in the thing that made me happy today thread.

Oh my... You're gonna have to come with me.

*Motions to the back room door*

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: May 06, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »

And now Joshua is going to beat me up in the back room. :(
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: May 06, 2010, 06:08:08 pm »

No, no, it's nothing like that. You'll find though... that us Bay12'ers have a "way" to deal with your kind.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 8168