Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9497611 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4650 on: April 20, 2010, 11:20:53 pm »

It would be funny to re-calculate those totals with your rounded pound per slice numbers. You could have ended up with more meat than you started with, implying something went horribly wrong with the slicing.
I dislocated my shoulder. Still not satisfied? I may have possibly sliced more than I knew. Oh, it turns out I made 1 slice every 2/5th of a second. Quicker than the ffwd fast you stated by 1/5th of a second. Reason I am a self-proclaimed bunny-ears lawyer at my job.

BTW, with the rounded numbers it would be less. They'd be thicker slices.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:28:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: April 20, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Ah, I meant if you had more meat than when you started, you should check your fingers :P

The closest I do to meat slicing is adding sausage to my eggs in the morning, maybe its much quicker than I imagine.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: April 20, 2010, 11:38:53 pm »

More like "mildly irritated," but my friend Thyme can't talk about anything but D&D.  At all.  I am not exaggerating.  Every subject I bring up turns into D&D almost immediately (i.e. within 4-5 IM replies, most of the time).  This includes computer games, recreational mathematics (which is theoretically another one of her interests), pure mathematics (sadly only my interest, mostly discussed in terms of "why your textbook sucks and you shouldn't worry about failing your analysis course"), books, music, and whatever else I care to mention.  Oh, and her crush.  When she mentions her crush, the conversation turns into D&D again within a couple of lines.

You know the worst part of all this?  She's going to be doing this for three more years or more, because that's how long it'll take her to leave the university with the nifty D&D group (and she wants to keep living in the area later so she can continue to play).  But if she stops playing, she'll get really depressed again...

Dammit, Thyme.  You used to be so cool and interested in... you know... books, games, stories.  Now I've got only three people to talk to, and one of them is you.  My old best friend.  The person I've known for perhaps 10 years now, who is now a stranger because she can talk about absolutely nothing but her D&D group.  Not the novel she's been working on for 8 years.  Not the webcomic she drew until a little bit ago.  Not mutual experience with being two profoundly lonely young women.  Not shared long-distant memories.

No, just fucking mindflayers and how everyone around her is a genius, smarter than the people she knows back home, etc.  Is that ALL you can talk about?  D&D and your massive superiority complex?  For chrissakes.  I don't know about the goddamned wedge product, no, but that is not because I don't go to her university, and it's not because I'm not a savant.  She has some sort of illusion where everything from her school is covered in gold, where almost every student is a genius without compare, where every department is polished in the extreme.  Good god, woman.  Do you even know what a math department looks like?  Generally, it has less applied and more actual studying, i.e., one is typically required to take a course in complex analysis and so on, and there is at least a foray into Foundations, logic, and so on.  Bleh.

It's this kind of bullshit that makes me want to go back and talk to Rosewood, but that's just because I'm feeling kinda lonely at the moment and I really want a buddy to hang out with =/  I'm not going to.  Don't worry.  I am sticking to those guns.  I'll get more social contact soon, and if worst comes to worst I can just go read French plays by myself or classify finite groups.  Hwah.

And yeah... I know I complain too much.  But I'm honestly scared of asking her to discuss something else, since changing the subject doesn't work and I can't afford to just go lose a friend right now.  I'll have to think about this a little.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4653 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:15 pm »

Ah, I meant if you had more meat than when you started, you should check your fingers :P

The closest I do to meat slicing is adding sausage to my eggs in the morning, maybe its much quicker than I imagine.
Actually it's closer to one of these beauties that I use:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Except of course, the one I use is slightly more advanced, safer, and a nice newer/sharper blade. But yeah, I still had a decent-sized log to go, and those things are usually closer to about 2.5 lbs. apiece (quite light for lots of meat, provided the right scale to slice). But yeah, horizontal resistance with one of those well oiled, plus the downward weight of the log gave me about a pound of resistance, so yeah, it felt just about right when I measured my rates. Did at least 10 tests to get the average right.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: April 21, 2010, 12:21:32 am »

Goddamn. I think I just buggered up another maths test for two different reasons. One that was out of my control and another so stupid I'd rather not talk about it.

Not only is the universe conspiring to make me fail maths, I'm also monumentally thick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:27:59 am by Jackrabbit »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:12 am »

Not only is the universe conspiring to make me fail maths, I'm also monumentally thick.

I... I know this feeling.  Keep trying hard, doodabuddy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: April 21, 2010, 01:53:30 am »

More like "mildly irritated," but my friend Thyme can't talk about anything but D&D.
Well, you could try getting involved in D&D yourself so at least you can appreciate the references, but it the worst of it will hopefully not last too long. It isn't unusual for someone just exploring something(or even returning to something, to some extent) to become a little obsessive. I suspect that it might be the same thing as addictions, it starts off by discovering something that the individual is a little overwhelmed by for some reason, then they spend a while trying to recreate the 'buzz' from the first experience, and then, hopefully, they sort of feel they've explored it and end up at a point somewhere between 'sustain it' and 'avoid it'. But this is all ignorant conjecture, suffice it to say that hopefully they will not be obsessed with D&D for as long as they engage in it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: April 21, 2010, 02:54:15 am »

<snip>

So, I'm writing a novel, and as soon as I read that, one of my characters just started monolouging in my head about how your problem was having too many problems. The word "multiplicitudes" was used more than once. I'm not sure if it's hilarious or in poor taste, because as of this moment, it's 3AM and I can't get to sleep.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: April 21, 2010, 03:08:02 am »

everything from her school is covered in gold, where almost every student is a genius without compare, where every department is polished in the extreme.

She goes to Waterloo?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:22 am »

Realising how much I relied on firefox for passwords when the forums moved to the new location....
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: April 21, 2010, 03:14:52 am »

Goddamn. I think I just buggered up another maths test for two different reasons. One that was out of my control and another so stupid I'd rather not talk about it.

I'm absolutely terrible at math, so I can sympathize.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:43 am »

I'm absolutely terrible at math, so I can sympathize.
+1 to that, yo. I lost a scholarship because of math. DAMN YOU, NUMBERSSS
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:13 am »

Yeah- I'm also horrible at maths. but that's more because I find it boring. The interesting stuff I'm good at, but the rest... Eargh.

And Vector- Hurry up and get on Steam already, so's we can entertain you.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:39 am »

Aaaargh, Steam! It burns! It burns!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:55 am »

Hahahaha.
*Pat's RAM on the head*
*Raises RAM's chin*
*WH-BITCHSLAP*

Tell me you didn't deserve it for the Pun.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 8168