Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498358 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4620 on: April 19, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

That's not a fallacy.

as I recall they are fallacious. We cannot prove or disprove the statements in the logic block but the assuming they are true, the statement is logical and correct. thus it is a "logical" "fallacy".

there are such things as "illogical" "fallacy". a set of statements which cannot be proven or disproven and do not make logical sense.

I.E.
This fence is blue
The sky is blue
Everything must be blue

Fallacy is determined by if we can determine if each of the statements is true or not. If they are all true then the statement is not a fallacy. If the statement is not true or cannot be proven then the statement is fallacious.

Logical or illogical is determined by the nature of the statement itself. Does it grammatically make sense? assuming that all statements are true, does it make sense?

It has been a few years but I believe that is how it was taught to me.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: April 19, 2010, 12:17:49 pm »

I had a really profound dream last night.

Hokay, So.

Very cool dream. Not pleasant I imagine, but that is a very interesting sentiment. It's got a hint of Buddhism to it too.

I think killing can be done mercifully and respectfully, but senseless taking of life is one of the vilest acts someone can perform. I remember being a child on the playground, in 2nd or 3rd grade, and comming across a group of 3 boys who were older than me. They had caught a baby turtle, and were pinning it with a rock under the water of a pond. I knew that they needed to breath atmospheric air, so I told them to stop doing that, or it would drown. The three of them stood up and said that I was stupid, and that turtles could breath under water, and threatened me. I knew they were wrong, but I was years younger than them and alone, and I realized there wasn't anything I could do about it. I left, hoping they'd get bored of it and let it go eventually, but it killed me to be powerless in the face of something I knew was wrong.

Even so, it was the first time I stood up for something I knew, in defense of something weaker than myself, and against a majority... even if I couldn't make a difference, it was a pivotal moment in defining my life philosophies.

I prefer:

Love is blind.
God is love.
Stevie Wonder is blind.

Therefore Stevie Wonder is God.

Logical fallacy or no, this is going to be quoted heavily by me.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:21:05 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: April 19, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »

Love is not a logical system where, when the person you love walks away from you, you can easily just say "I don't care, and I'll go hunt down the next one."  If you really loved someone, shouldn't you be attached to them?  Shouldn't you be heartbroken when they leave you?  He acts as though I'm unreasonable.  He acts as though I shouldn't feel this way.

My heart was broken once.

I was able to drive away at top speed.

I hardly looked back either.

The thought is "If she can so easily let me go,
 then this is a hollow love."

Make a mockery of me?

Never again.

If he left you, then your feelings for him should be dead.
The worst mistake was going back.
You have my sympathy.

One of my greatest blessings and curses is the strength of my feelings.  I love for the sake of loving and hold high hopes beyond reason.

I am the eternal optimist.  No matter how bad it gets, there is a voice inside me that says "just keep on walking, and your every dream will come true."

I spent two and a half weeks wondering if we could be friends, after he said he wanted that.  My first instinct was to disappear for a year, but I thought I'd give things a try, anyway.  When I found we could not be friends, I left.  When it is time to be friends again, I will come back--but not before then.  The time will come when we are both ready, but first he and I have some life lessons to learn.

The only mistake I made was to think that now is the right time.

I will look back until it is no longer time to do that, and then I will look forward until it is no longer the time to look in that direction.

I may seem rather insane, but the internal voice that tells me to walk this way has never been wrong before.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: April 19, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »

I certainly hope your predictions for this guy are true. If I knew a guy who did this, I'd have to kick his braincase in some. Blame it on having younger sisters.

Sad thing: Saw a girl I asked out once today. We're still not acknowledging each other. Which I think is crap, but whatever.

I had a nightmare last night about a haunted house roller coaster race track. Yes. It was all of these things in one. The thing was a twisted mass of steel and glass, plaster and rickety boards. I remember being strapped in, not wanting to go on this ride. My mom was in another car--there was noone else. The ride opened tomorrow. As we went through the ride, we kept seeing things activating that shouldn't have activated, things moving that shouldn't have moved, etc. We made the discovery at the end of the ride that the whole house was gaining sentience and telekinesis. We decided to go to the ride tomorrow to stop the house, even though I was already deathly frightened of just the rollercoaster racetrack part.

The next day, we were standing in line, we were in the first ride. The gates opened up, and we were instructed to go on a footrace through the haunted house to find the cars. First come, first serve--the faster you got there, the better your position. So the gates open, and I ran. The walls constantly were shifting--doors opening and closing as you got near. Things would pop up from the ground--childhood fears and things I still can't get near. I ran as fast as I could, terror overtaking me. At one point, surrounded by an amphitheater of green pop-up zombies, I realized I should have made it to the cars by then. And just like that, it hit me--the house wasn't going to let me get to the cars. It wasn't going to let me get anywhere--I would be trapped in there for eternity.

I woke up in a cold sweat.

Bah, the hell-dream was better.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:21 pm »

That's not a fallacy.

Actually, it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_equivocation

I do like their example of the Politician's syllogism, because dear gods, have I seen *that one* in action:

Something must be done.
This is something.
Therefore, this must be done.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: April 19, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »

Ugh, I can't wait for this semester to be over. I like all of my classes, even the ones I normal hate... except Spanish. I'm struggling just to pass, and I am not used to that, I can't take it. The same thing has happened to me before, whenever I get into a real struggle, I just break down, unable to deal with the pressure. I almost never have to work hard in school, so when I do I have no idea how.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

My computer has developed a habit of pausing after partially loading this forum, and then spitting out a line of half-formed source code before loading nothing else below it. Sometimes after refreshing the page 5 times or so, I finally get it. It's pretty darned anoying, though, and makes it pretty much impossible to read the forum.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »

<Story>
Bah, the hell dream was better

Yeah, that sounds pretty damn terrifying. I'd hate to have it in a dream- But I'm more talking about how Sad the hell-dream was. It was pretty profound. I just found it sad the fact that apparently every animal alive is judged. I mean, some parts of it were pretty satisfying- Like the medival torturer who used to be so proud of the fact that he could make a person survive seven days under horriffic torture. He was still there when I was walking through...
But anyway.
It just got me thinking about how an animal can't control it's nature, so why would they be punished for it. But then- it's human's nature to be cruel, isn't it?
But more of it was just imagining the things that certain things would go through. A venus fly trap getting digested alive- A wolf getting herded up and eaten.
It just makes me sad - I guess.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: April 19, 2010, 03:50:37 pm »

My computer has developed a habit of pausing after partially loading this forum, and then spitting out a line of half-formed source code before loading nothing else below it. Sometimes after refreshing the page 5 times or so, I finally get it. It's pretty darned anoying, though, and makes it pretty much impossible to read the forum.
That was happening to a lot of people, but seems to be getting better/have been fixed. It hasn't happened to me in a few days, at least, and for others it stopped even earlier.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: April 19, 2010, 04:10:51 pm »

<Story>
Bah, the hell dream was better

Yeah, that sounds pretty damn terrifying. I'd hate to have it in a dream- But I'm more talking about how Sad the hell-dream was. [...]

Yeah, I understand. Strangely, I was thinking about posting the dream before you posted yours. Then I read yours and thought, "Well, dang. My dream can't compare to this." And then, "Aw, who cares anyway.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4630 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »

Got a response from Valve about recovering my account (finally). As it turns out, it's going to be a rather drawn out process by having by bank withdraw the chargeback. That is simple, if it only goes that far. If the bank can't do it, then I would have to have them fax an affidavit to Valve stating the return wasn't due to fraud and such. And if that, I hope I don't need to collect evidence and such regarding the whole issue.

Pray that this is going the simple route.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:51 pm »

That last bit sounded somewhat shallow.

Are you going to approach your brother about this?
Why do you make his food for him?
Because my dad cooks, and when they go out, there's no one to cook. So that responsibility falls onto me. :/ Also, I have to concede that the last bit there was kinda harsh, but he has to do SOMETHING to help around the house. And yet, whenever I confront him, he just brushes me off and ignores me, or makes fallacious claims.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: April 19, 2010, 08:55:16 pm »

Then don't make his dinner.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: April 19, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »

If I do that, I'll get in trouble. I can ask my dad to leave some money to buy instant noodles or something.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:14 pm »

Hours moved up to 40 per week, 8 per weekday.  I'll have to work saturdays every two weeks.  I finally got to the computer after a long day of work, then dinner, then a shower, and I go to bed in about 3-4 hours, depending on how tired I want to be.

So... I guess I keep this up until I retire, hopefully achieving something of notable worth along the way before I die?
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 8168