Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477997 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4275 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »

My high-school wasn't big enough to have cliques. The freshman class was only 30, and that was considered large.

Also, the only thing better than a fedora is a tophat and monocle. And that's not cool so much as "distinguished"... in a hilarious way.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: April 11, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »

Interesting.  I was the sole female member of the "nerd club" in high school.  For reference, this school has a running joke about how the football team keeps losing because the players are too busy doing AP calc homework to practice.

There was some sort of large divide between "people who did well at school" and "people who didn't do well at school," with the main noticeable group on campus being a bunch of Asian kids who hung out together (they apparently had the rather unfortunate nickname of "China Town").  This is kind of odd, in a school where there's an equal number of Asians and Caucasians.

I was also the president of the Japanese Culture Club, which was a nerd sub-society in and of itself.  One of the stranger results of this was my taking a psychology test in a kimono and old-man makeup, though no one batted an eye.  There was also a day when I sent out a bunch of female members in schoolgirl uniforms for publicity (white blouses, long plaid skirts, hair ribbons).  Some others ended up doing cosplay (I went as Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle; someone else made a pretty fabulous Lucrecia Crescent).  Poor kids... they were so miserable.

To get back from my little rambly tangent, things mostly depended on your academic success and the clubs you belonged to.  Sports didn't figure into things much at all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »

My school has only one really big clique.

And Im the only person not part of it. :(

Godwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.slaythedwarves.org
« Reply #4278 on: April 11, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »

I'm in Vegas right now, and it's probably the most depressing and vapid place I've ever been. I'd rather be in rural Missouri than this sorry place.

At least the people in rural Missouri have some balls. This place is just devoid of personality.

Interesting.  I was the sole female member of the "nerd club" in high school.  For reference, this school has a running joke about how the football team keeps losing because the players are too busy doing AP calc homework to practice.

There was some sort of large divide between "people who did well at school" and "people who didn't do well at school," with the main noticeable group on campus being a bunch of Asian kids who hung out together (they apparently had the rather unfortunate nickname of "China Town").  This is kind of odd, in a school where there's an equal number of Asians and Caucasians.

I was also the president of the Japanese Culture Club, which was a nerd sub-society in and of itself.  One of the stranger results of this was my taking a psychology test in a kimono and old-man makeup, though no one batted an eye.  There was also a day when I sent out a bunch of female members in schoolgirl uniforms for publicity (white blouses, long plaid skirts, hair ribbons).  Some others ended up doing cosplay (I went as Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle; someone else made a pretty fabulous Lucrecia Crescent).  Poor kids... they were so miserable.

To get back from my little rambly tangent, things mostly depended on your academic success and the clubs you belonged to.  Sports didn't figure into things much at all.

Isn't there far more to Japanese culture as a whole than schoolgirls? Isn't that kind of a misrepresentation, like advertising Russian Culture by sending out a bunch of guys with big mustaches and furry hats with the hammer and sickle on them, along with posters decrying the debauchery of the upper class?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

spoilered for length

I'm happy again but any mention of people's memories of school fill me with anger and sadness. It makes me sad that one day I will have happy little kids and they will have to go to school.

TL;DR - life story
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: April 11, 2010, 11:45:13 pm »

That was a nice story. I read the whole thing. ;D

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

I had to stop and compose myself near the end. I couldn't see through my own tears. I rarely cry but once I started writing all that I couldn't stop. I needed to get it all off my chest.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: April 11, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »

School felt like a colossal waste of time for me. Especially since my last year of secondry school screwed me over with illness and shit teachers*.

*And one stand-in maths teacher. I was in the Top Set for maths, and our teacher left a quarter of the way through the year on maternity leave. Who do we get? Some useless, timid, quiet, woman who had no control over the class, who could sense this and thus, did nothing but torment her. The talked to each other while she was going over what we were learning, threw paper at her (one time she ran our crying) and generally made her life hell. Not one single person got a grade when we did our Mock GCSEs. Not one, in Top Set maths. I joked with my friend in the class that I was exactly 6 times better at maths than he was. He got 1%. Yeah.

Then, the original teacher comes back, and suddenly, everyone starts passing past papers with Cs and above. She increased my competence in maths by nearly 1000%, just by teaching. And I was even behind most of the class, due to glandular fever.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:47 am »

It's technically been monday for 11 minutes here.

I hate the weekdays.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:38 am »

Isn't there far more to Japanese culture as a whole than schoolgirls? Isn't that kind of a misrepresentation, like advertising Russian Culture by sending out a bunch of guys with big mustaches and furry hats with the hammer and sickle on them, along with posters decrying the debauchery of the upper class?

Yup.  But you know what?  I also fed people who signed up on club day addictive substances (chocolate, dudes.  Just chocolate).  I got various people wearing kimono, and we sectored off the school into different regions before tackling them in pairs.  As far as other stuff goes, I also wore my kendo uniform to school and so on.  It was a sex appeal/addictive substance combo.

Also, I was 17.  I plead stupid.

I had to stop and compose myself near the end. I couldn't see through my own tears. I rarely cry but once I started writing all that I couldn't stop. I needed to get it all off my chest.

That sounds... hideous.  I'm so sorry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: April 12, 2010, 12:14:04 am »

You have to admit though, the furry hats are cool.

Incidentally, Cganya, I concur with Vector. I'm sorry man.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: April 12, 2010, 12:21:07 am »

That sounds... hideous.  I'm so sorry.

well, its behind me now and it made a stronger person. I just wish I had fond memories that I could add when people shared theirs. I view it as a success really. I resisted the urge to break my moral standards and hurt people, I resisted a horrible situation for an extended period of time.

Think of all the stuff those experiences can allow me to do.

also I was walking around town one day and I recognized someone from high school. one of the jerks who hung out in crowds of his peers. He recognized me and I braced for some stupid insult or something. he said "Oh hey! I remember you! Oh man I'm so sorry the way we treated you in school man. After awhile I got tired of those guys, they were so... dumb. I remembered the stuff you talked about and man, you were the only smart person I knew. I'm sorry man."
It made me feel a bit better about myself.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:57 am »

Don't read this.

Don't read it. tl;dr, I'm having a very bad day.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 12, 2010, 12:25:45 am »

Scary story, simply because near the beginning it was exactly the same as my story. Only I had the fortune of my surroundings improving, where other students did mature and grow to just leave me alone. Unfortunately, my problems were mild enough that instead of some great events defining my life I'm left stagnated. Nothing terrible happens to me but nothing terribly great happens either. No motivation to move forward, no motivation to fight or hate.

But I see that kid, restless and in wanting, see this story and sympathize. And cause a young man who could not cry for the pain of his family to weep.

Rock on man.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 12, 2010, 12:33:55 am »

Don't read this.

Don't read it. tl;dr, I'm having a very bad day.

It hurts to have a good friend do something like that. I had a best friend once. my family moved out of town so i couldn't see him very much for a long time. found out he played the same video game as me so we hooked up. We had different play styles (was a gun's vs swords kind of game). He started to smack talk me. I told him to stop. He continued, I said I wasn't going to put up with that junk if he didn't stop. He didn't stop, I left and haven't spoken to him since.

my next best friend is a drugy who's mental instability is being further compromised by the drugs. He's developing paranoia from it and I cant do anything about it because marijuana is so damn accepted in my town, It feels like the only people who don't smoke it are my wife, myself, and most elementary school students
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 8167