Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473959 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4110 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:54 pm »

Anyway, what makes me sad:

Ever since the new version has come out, I've been fighting the urge to go up to the actual Dwarf Fortress help section up north, and then post something obnoxious like:

"O hay, i wuz lik plyin dis dawrf fortran games and I canttt git eet at AlL! im reel nuu 2 dis gam adn i cnat figer owt wat 2 duu! evrtythin iz ahl lik numbrz n ltteers n stahf! haw iz enee1 sposed 2 ply dis?!?!?!?!? dorvs rr so stuipd eneewai. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!"

And I have this urge because, deep down, I want to see how many of the northerners that never come down to GD (and thus never see me) would take me seriously and respond with all seriousness in mind. I resist because I don't think it'd be very cool to troll what is basically my home on the internet.

I just thought I'd tell you guys though.
We should be a team.  I'd help you do it.  I'd be that dude that's all liek, "YO dude so why are you trolling this here soil, eh? We dwarves don't take kindly to that sort o' 'ehavior.  Now get oot, befare I have to cleave ye in twain, whith me good friend, here. *pat's invisible forum-axe*  That's whet dem trolls get, always have, always will. Yup, that's the way we do it."
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4111 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:10 pm »

I have a nice little settlement developed somewhat. I had to relearn farming with irrigation, which bugged me, but fortunately, it doesn't disturb the scenery much if I crack open a nearby pool. Gonna fasten a door to it so I can collect rain water and recycle it.

It's going to take a while for me to get used to the new mechanics of the game, especially after marathoning the last parts of my megaproject. Still too used to older version. I do like how I have my fort established so far, and thanks to burrows, I came up with a fair share of ideas, ranging from using burrows as privilege zones (from peasant to noble), and what class of warrior and what class of use. It's not perfect, but I learn best the hard way anyway.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:20 am »

It's not too late for the mock trolling.
The upper forumites who don't come down here will be fooled and those that do will know about it and play along.
Hopefully

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: April 08, 2010, 12:57:33 am »

Somewhere, up in the Lowe's Hardware oligarchy, is a little man who still doesn't understand that our store doesn't. need. another. shipment. of. PLANTS.  We can't keep shoving plants on 50% clearance, especially plants that look perfectly healthy and arrived less than a week ago.

White Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Puppeh? (also stabs)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:07 am »

You people have inspired me to actually get around to playing the new version.

Problem is, however, I've only got until Tuesday to finish The Witcher (I'm up to chapter 3), else I'll probably never bother to play it again.
It is a really tough choice, Since Witcher is a really fun game, But Dwarf Fortress is Dwarf Fortress. So You can see my problem.

Also got asked if I'd like to buy a twilight DVD. Suffice to say, I stormed out of there without a word. Ruined my whole damn day.

EDIT: Oh, right, I also had a tooth extracted today. But really, Considering everything else, This was the highlight of my day.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:55:35 am by White Kitteh »
HUNGRY PROGRAMMER NEEDS BANDWIDTH. FOOD UNIMPORTANT.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:13 am »

I've only used the Object Testing Arena. I'm waiting for the worst of the problems to be ironed out before I start playing proper.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:52 am »

Play DF for half an hour, if, when the half an hour is over, 3 days have passed for the outside world, then you have probably fallen victim to DF...

Alternatively, stick with the Witcher because you know that DF will still be here when it is over...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:23 am »

Nah, I'm already a leper. You know why? Because I haven't made any time to actually play the new version of Dwarf Fortress. I've downloaded it, yes, but I haven't actually played it yet. I just let it sit on my desktop, and every time I see it I pass it a few coy or flirty glances, sometimes I even work up the courage to open the folder. Heck, sometimes I even start up the program just to see the opening animation, but then I'll exit the program without having done anything, and I feel that I've broken the law or something, because that's just wrong.

As you can clearly see, I'm some sort of criminal. Please arrest me.
I read this.
I went "OH ****! NEW DF IS OUT! I FORGOT! PLAYPLAYPLAY!"
I played DF for what I thought was 5 min
I lookd at the clock, over an hour gone.
I realized there was a REASON I hadn't player yet, and that it will likely make me unable to play anytime soon.
This makes me sad.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:53 am »

Never had a cavity that hasn't repaired itself on its own before (crazy regenerating enamel and a third set of molars have helped with that). Just yesterday, as I was picking my teeth clean, I got a twinge of incredible pain through my jaw, sinuses, and face, as the toothpick happened upon a tiny hole in the back of my left top molar, and poked what might have been a raw nerve.

Damn it Obamacare, hurry up so I can actually afford to get some dental work done!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:45 am »

Dear mother,

In the first half hour of my being awake this morning, you called me a bitch, ugly, and compared me to a neo-nazi in a lovely allegorical tale.  I'll admit that it was "look angry and therefore ugly" and "acting like a bitch," but that doesn't really soften the blow--now does it?

Furthermore, you had the audacity to tell me that everything that's going on is because I don't have a job--specifically, I'm not in the military.  All my problems result from a lack of discipline.  Clearly mommy knows best.  I guess I've learned my lesson about leaving a situation before I try to kill myself.  Just need that little boost to keep me in there until the very end.  I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to dance with death.

You also tried to shake me or something.  Put more points in Str if you want to stop failing your grapple checks.

Your daughter,

Vector
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:21 am »

Dear mother,

In the first half hour of my being awake this morning, you called me a bitch, ugly, and compared me to a neo-nazi in a lovely allegorical tale.  I'll admit that it was "look angry and therefore ugly" and "acting like a bitch," but that doesn't really soften the blow--now does it?

Furthermore, you had the audacity to tell me that everything that's going on is because I don't have a job--specifically, I'm not in the military.  All my problems result from a lack of discipline.  Clearly mommy knows best.  I guess I've learned my lesson about leaving a situation before I try to kill myself.  Just need that little boost to keep me in there until the very end.  I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to dance with death.

You also tried to shake me or something.  Put more points in Str if you want to stop failing your grapple checks.

Your daughter,

Vector

i'm no expert but it sounds like your in an abusive situation. i would suggest putting some distance between you and your mom. it doesn't sound like she is helping you at all.

some (read: most) parents just make me shake my head. I hope i never become like them when i have children. of course i'm an idiot who thinks i can do anything my parents did to me, better than they did. I'm sure that happened in each generation.

i'm rambling *shuts up*
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:36 am »

My girlfriend broke her arm last night. :(

@Vector: As much as your mother sucks for doing that to you, I have to admit that post made me smile. Probably the D&D reference.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:57 am »

Dear mother,

Your daughter,

Vector

The military is not a great place to learn discipline. This is a common misundertanding that leads to us having an army full of Ritalin-laced dropouts. That said, umm.....F*** your mom.

*hug*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:28 am »

Found out that one the agents I support and just talked to a few weeks ago, killed his wife, then himself in a murder-suicide two days ago. Left four kids behind. Seriously...WTF?  >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:18 am »

My girlfriend broke her arm last night. :(

@Vector: As much as your mother sucks for doing that to you, I have to admit that post made me smile. Probably the D&D reference.

crap man, is it a bad break or a minor one?

my brother broke his wrist one year and they had to put him in a cast up to his shoulder, took forever to heal.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 8167