Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472878 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4065 on: April 07, 2010, 08:11:26 am »

Or can't fathom the idea of people being named after countries.

Oh really?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: April 07, 2010, 08:19:58 am »

Or can't fathom the idea of people being named after countries.

Being named after places is common, as is having a family name from a place. I admit to it being rarer with countries but it's not that uncommon.

Also random link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_named_after_people :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: April 07, 2010, 08:29:12 am »

Hey, I don't think it's uncommon or strange. I thought Rooster was surprised at someone being named after a country.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: April 07, 2010, 08:31:44 am »

Hey, I don't think it's uncommon or strange. I thought Rooster was surprised at someone being named after a country.

Ahh, my apologies Jackrabbit :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:33 pm »

Where's the surprise? Alot of places were named after people, so why not the other way around?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: April 07, 2010, 12:55:11 pm »

I spilled hot tea all over myself this morning. :(
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: April 07, 2010, 01:13:27 pm »

You guys do know that I make up a lot of pseudonyms, right?  Also that I name people in themes (Rosewood, Aspen, Willow) and so on?  Sheez, I don't actually only make friends with trees.

"Professor Poland" is the internet-nickname for my favorite professor.  He has a ridiculously thick accent, and his lectures are almost 100% tangent.  He also happens to be a Polish count, and the most skilled mathematician in the department.  He's pretty amazing, other than the unfortunate instances in office hours when you go in for help with a problem and he decides it's more important to talk about Linux, music compression, linguistics, or the printing industry.  Other times, he just ends up spouting proofs at you for two hours while you listen helplessly.

My nickname for him in real life used to be "Count Bastard Analysis Professor," but it was a little bit long and the analysis course ended.  Now it's "Count Bastard Algebra Professor."  Much better.

I don't want to leave.  I want to stay here.  I like it here.  I think I might actually be able to make it through the year... maybe I could stay.

Somehow it's like "normal-me" has no knowledge of happy-me or sad-me.  What am I thinking?  I can't stay.  I have to go and learn how to be sane.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:21:01 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: April 07, 2010, 01:38:11 pm »

I had a Spanish Professor like that: Juan Redondo. He was of a more political and philosophical bent, though. We'd be talking about colloquialisms used in different provinces, when suddenly he'd start talking about how "Spain really isn't a country, but a loose confederation of separate cultures divided by stark geographical boundaries", which would progress into a discussion about the differences between regional and national culture, and then on to how he really much prefers France to Spain, and would rather be teaching us French since it's a "less sneaky language", and then we'd start talking about all the ways that Spanish "is a language of duplicity and implication", etc. etc.

Man was a nut, but I enjoyed his lectures.

Out of curiosity, what did the end bit mean? I'm not sure I follow you, but are you conflicted about leaving school? I can't really suggest what to do, since yours is a situation that's different than mine, but I can say that my time out of school made me more depressed, and made school harder to get back into, but it let me focus on a lot of areas of my life that were lacking, IE my social life, financial stability, and most importantly better understanding of my life interests and goals.

That could have been general maturity though, from life experience. I had a lot going on at that time outside of school that also played a big part... so I don't know.

I suppose you could do a cost-benefit analysis of staying vs. going, and then picking the option that works out to be better. Suitably logical, no? :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:43:22 pm by Solifuge »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:01 pm »

You guys do know that I make up a lot of pseudonyms, right?  Also that I name people in themes (Rosewood, Aspen, Willow) and so on?  Sheez, I don't actually only make friends with trees.

"Professor Poland" is the internet-nickname for my favorite professor.  He has a ridiculously thick accent, and his lectures are almost 100% tangent.  He also happens to be a Polish count, and the most skilled mathematician in the department.  He's pretty amazing, other than the unfortunate instances in office hours when you go in for help with a problem and he decides it's more important to talk about Linux, music compression, linguistics, or the printing industry.  Other times, he just ends up spouting proofs at you for two hours while you listen helplessly.

My nickname for him in real life used to be "Count Bastard Analysis Professor," but it was a little bit long and the analysis course ended.  Now it's "Count Bastard Algebra Professor."  Much better.

I don't want to leave.  I want to stay here.  I like it here.  I think I might actually be able to make it through the year... maybe I could stay.

Somehow it's like "normal-me" has no knowledge of happy-me or sad-me.  What am I thinking?  I can't stay.  I have to go and learn how to be sane.

I tend to have a double thought system in my head.  One version will discuss something and the other will list problems with that plan.  Version one will then tell solutions to these problems and so on.

I really beat myself up mentally.

Oh, and some kid tried to ironically hump me when I was walking in the hall, it upset me in the inside.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:21 pm »

Hey, I do that too, the whole: think of an idea, think of the bad points, think of how to deal with the bad point, and so on and so forth.

It just strikes me as commons sense to do that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: April 07, 2010, 02:26:33 pm »

It's pretty common Jack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: April 07, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

Yeah, I'm conflicted about leaving school.  On the one hand, I love mathematics.  On the other hand, going to school is killing me and/or driving me insane.  I kind of consider "not dying or being insane" more important than "Vector gets to go to class."  But dammit, I love this place.  It may be killing me, but I love it.

This may be the best decision I've ever made, but it's still tearing me up internally.  You see, on the "staying" side is "Mathematics, comrades from school (no close friends, but at least I have comrades), don't have to live with parents, cost to parents."  It's mostly the mathematics and the cost to my parents; I feel really, really bad for them.

On the "going" side is "be less crazy, get time to read books, learn how to cook reasonable food before I have to live by myself, time to become more mathematically mature so that school makes me less crazy, learn how to handle stress, talk to psychologist about being less anxious all the time, figure out moodswings.  Furthermore, restart semester next year in courses I'm interested in, rather than two applied-side math courses that were hiding in purity, a horrible course in linguistics, and Professor Poland's class (which is, of course, wonderful)."

There's no real reason to stay, other than the fact that it's a major lifestyle change for the next year or so.  I think I'll be okay.  I think it's the right idea.  I just wish I didn't have to make this decision.

And here's the solution... it may be a little bit difficult to read/follow, but it's all there.

Spoiler: Solution (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: April 07, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

It is almost as if the human mind is capable of taking a problem, coming up with a solution, and then test that solution to see if it makes sense.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:36 pm »

It's pretty common Jack.

I'm just not sure why you see it as beating yourself up mentally. It's just a good thing to do.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »

It's pretty common Jack.

I'm just not sure why you see it as beating yourself up mentally. It's just a good thing to do.

They're not on the same line Jack, they are separate.

Yeah, I'm conflicted about leaving school.  On the one hand, I love mathematics.  On the other hand, going to school is killing me and/or driving me insane.  I kind of consider "not dying or being insane" more important than "Vector gets to go to class."  But dammit, I love this place.  It may be killing me, but I love it.

This may be the best decision I've ever made, but it's still tearing me up internally.  You see, on the "staying" side is "Mathematics, comrades from school (no close friends, but at least I have comrades), don't have to live with parents, cost to parents."  It's mostly the mathematics and the cost to my parents; I feel really, really bad for them.

On the "going" side is "be less crazy, get time to read books, learn how to cook reasonable food before I have to live by myself, time to become more mathematically mature so that school makes me less crazy, learn how to handle stress, talk to psychologist about being less anxious all the time, figure out moodswings.  Furthermore, restart semester next year in courses I'm interested in, rather than two applied-side math courses that were hiding in purity, a horrible course in linguistics, and Professor Poland's class (which is, of course, wonderful)."

There's no real reason to stay, other than the fact that it's a major lifestyle change for the next year or so.  I think I'll be okay.  I think it's the right idea.  I just wish I didn't have to make this decision.

And here's the solution... it may be a little bit difficult to read/follow, but it's all there.

Spoiler: Solution (click to show/hide)

Hey I know those kind of problems, they're OK.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 8167