Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477106 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3795 on: March 29, 2010, 03:47:29 am »

Okay, on a rather more important note than Tales of Symphonia.  For most of my life, I've been depressed.  Quite depressed.  Depressed to the point of mood swings, hallucination(s), delusions that people were trying to kill me, and recurrent spells of deep depression that just won't go away and keep away.  I have nasty nightmares and often find myself crying for absolutely no reason, and I can end up just sitting there sobbing for hours while I try to figure out what I'm so damnably depressed over.

Now, right around now is when Rosewood's mother Willow (sure, whatever, it's a tree) suspects that I'm bipolar (she has three severely bipolar siblings), since I also have crazy periods where I work all day, eat five meals and am still hungry, and wake up fully energized after 5 hours feeling ridiculously happy and prepared to work all day.  I also have cousins who tend to be either ridiculously absurdly jovial or totally enraged hellcats, taking the piss out of anyone and everyone.  It's a coin toss as to which they'll be at a given family gathering.

The problem is that mood-altering drugs are being suggested--and suggested very strongly--and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I don't want to end up being someone who isn't me, and I'm scared that the altered mood will result in a shifted personality.  Hell, I don't want to be bipolar, either.  I've already been diagnosed with Asperger's (in the "Wow, your disorder is extraordinarily obvious and immediately recognizable" sort of way), and that's more than enough for me.

I'm glad I get a choice, but this isn't a decision I want to have to make.  I feel like I've already had more than enough bullshit in my life--long years of suffering and fighting on, and I just want it to be over with.  I don't really seem to need therapy.  I've fought my demons and won, and gotten a clean break from everything that was haunting me.

I'm just depressed.  Over and over again, for absolutely no reason, I'm depressed.  I wish I had some idea as to what to do.

Being the internet, I can say things that most people I encounter on a daily basis don't hear.

I've had a rather severe depressive thing going on and off for most of my life. When I was considerably younger and less disciplined, I couldn't recognize the pattern, and during extremely depressive events I'd often get physically self destructive (had a brush with pretty close suicide attempts, etc). It continues to affect me today, albeit in far less extreme ways... I tend to have periods withdrawn detachment, melancholy, and lack of drive; alternating with periods of energy, drive, and creativity. I've not had it diagnosed, but I suspect this isn't full-fledged manic-depression, but rather just depression, and the resulting upswing from the low points passing.

Every person exhibits differing degrees of "psychological disorders", and in fact these disorders are just names for the extremes of certain mental traits: "Schizophrenia" is in the broadest sense just what happens when the brain attributes Too Much meaning to the world, in that you begin to interpret the little things people say, the sounds you hear, and the patterns you see as having meaning which they don't necessarily have... your brain in turn tends to rationalize this by creating sensations that aren't there as well. "Depression" is the counterpoint to this, in that your brain attributes Too Little meaning to things, where you find trouble seeing the purpose in doing something... even though you can logically know that it needs to be done, or would be enjoyable to do (which it often is, regardless).

Believe it or not, I'm actually moving toward another depression right now, but I do my best to keep a mask of happiness on, because it tends to make others happy... which in turn tends to rub off on me and help keep my mood level. Such things are different for everyone, but recognizing my depression as a pattern, and one which I can exert conscious control over, was hugely empowering for me in overcoming it. When I see that I'm headed towards a downswing, I try to spend the time doing passive things that I still enjoy, like reading books, watching shows I've been meaning to catch, and hanging out in non-active group activities with friends. When I'm on an upswing, I channel that energy into long-standing projects that I've been meaning to tackle, be they creative or otherwise. I've done what I can to channel what is viewed as a disorder into a natural rhythm by which I can live, and have never felt a personal need to medicate it. I just do my best to recognize when it's affecting my judgment, and let that knowledge keep the depression from influencing my decisions.

However, for everyone it's different; there are some issues that are best left to medication, especially if they are inhibiting what you want to be able to do. Therapy doesn't universally end in medication either; in fact, oftentimes they prefer to teach personal methods for coping with things first, and medicate if it's too much for someone to jump right in and tackle. Heck, even my friend with an anxiety disorder has developed the tools needed to handle anxiety attacks, and has gotten better about them each year. The best first step would be in rationalizing it. Sometimes, you make a depression worse by focusing on and acting on it, so try to think about how significantly it affects you, and consciously work out ways you can do the things you need to, as you would at any other time. If you think you need help learning the ways to handle it, seek someone trained in therapy, and they can help you work out a plan for understanding and dealing with it, far better than I could.

In the meantime, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and in time it'll pass.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:37 am »

*sigh*

Okay, on a rather more important note than Tales of Symphonia.  For most of my life, I've been depressed.  Quite depressed.  Depressed to the point of mood swings, hallucination(s), delusions that people were trying to kill me, and recurrent spells of deep depression that just won't go away and keep away.  I have nasty nightmares and often find myself crying for absolutely no reason, and I can end up just sitting there sobbing for hours while I try to figure out what I'm so damnably depressed over.

Now, right around now is when Rosewood's mother Willow (sure, whatever, it's a tree) suspects that I'm bipolar (she has three severely bipolar siblings), since I also have crazy periods where I work all day, eat five meals and am still hungry, and wake up fully energized after 5 hours feeling ridiculously happy and prepared to work all day.  I also have cousins who tend to be either ridiculously absurdly jovial or totally enraged hellcats, taking the piss out of anyone and everyone.  It's a coin toss as to which they'll be at a given family gathering.

The problem is that mood-altering drugs are being suggested--and suggested very strongly--and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I don't want to end up being someone who isn't me, and I'm scared that the altered mood will result in a shifted personality.  Hell, I don't want to be bipolar, either.  I've already been diagnosed with Asperger's (in the "Wow, your disorder is extraordinarily obvious and immediately recognizable" sort of way), and that's more than enough for me.

I'm glad I get a choice, but this isn't a decision I want to have to make.  I feel like I've already had more than enough bullshit in my life--long years of suffering and fighting on, and I just want it to be over with.  I don't really seem to need therapy.  I've fought my demons and won, and gotten a clean break from everything that was haunting me.

I'm just depressed.  Over and over again, for absolutely no reason, I'm depressed.  I wish I had some idea as to what to do.

My wife is on depression meds at the moment. before I met her she was on depression meds and was desperate to get off them. She was tired of feeling blank and not caring about anything. She decided to go cold turkey and it made her very sick. I did some research for her and urged her to resume her dosage then once she was feeling a bit better to start weaning herself off the pills slowly. she had a very easy time getting off the pills and was very happy.

fast forward to today and the previous few months. we are hitting hard times. my wife worries about having a baby, having a job, the fact that we don't have financial independence, my mother (whom she was very close to) being diagnosed with cancer, and a million other things she worries about. she was depressed and started thinking suicidal thoughts. I urged her to go back on the pills. I told her they would be better than the old pills she was taking (old pills were the cheap variety with lots of side effects). She agreed and we got her the pills. every once in awhile she feels worried about "not caring" but the pills have stopped her from getting as sad and as often. I can still make her smile and be happy with just a look.

TL;DR: anti-depression pills are certainly something to be concerned about. but they do help if you need them (only a doctor can determine this). and they are not a permanent solution.

in my opinion, they are useful for two people. those with brain chems way out of whack, and those who need a bit of balance through difficult times.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:19 am »

My brother doesn't believe me that a forum glitch is the reason my name is still Cthulhu.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: March 29, 2010, 09:58:36 am »

>You wake up in a pool of blood.
 D:

Great, now I'll need new sheets.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: March 29, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »

What.  Bleeding while you sleep??

NOO

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: March 29, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »

Alright, I'm starting to hit the emotional doldrums, and I need some kind of focus to keep me going; something I can engross myself in which will occupy my time and energy as I wait on the blahs to pass, and for things I'm waiting on to start falling into place.

I need ideas, people! I've got 1.2 Gigawatts of potential energy, but nothing interesting to ply it on. Weather is still too cold to do outside stuff, and I'm facing down a heap of life issues that I have to wait in order to resolve, and I don't want to spend 12 hours a day playing video games.

I mean, throw me a friggin' bone here.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:27 pm »

Read stuff.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: March 29, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »

Start working for charity. Nothing takes so much time as working and receiving nothing else than self-satisfaction and smile of elderly people/kids.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:40 pm »

Read stuff.

Technically I'm doing that right now... suggestions though? My taste tends toward the eclectic.

EDIT: Also waiting on mid-April for the Bird Rehabilitation Center in my city to open up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:09:21 pm by Solifuge »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 29, 2010, 02:02:46 pm »

Technically I'm doing that right now... suggestions though? My taste tends toward the eclectic.

EDIT: Also waiting on mid-April for the Brid Rehabilitation Center in my city to open up.

Thumbs up for you, pal.

Hmmm... start working more? :P Maybe on something you always wanted to do but you always thought 'meh, it will take too much time'. Or something :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:45 pm »

I feel like a real dumb asshole today. I got complacent and I said too much to a friend, and now I think he thinks I'm crazy.

I wish I were better at talking to people.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 29, 2010, 03:48:59 pm »

Oh man, shop teacher on the fritz today.  He totally spazzed when he saw a huge pile of components in the cabinet not organized anywhere.  I spent the whole day putting them back.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: March 29, 2010, 03:59:07 pm »

To extend my previous post, I'm a little (read: very) sad that my heinously bad inferiority complex is starting to bother me horribly lately.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 29, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »

Alright, I'm starting to hit the emotional doldrums, and I need some kind of focus to keep me going; something I can engross myself in which will occupy my time and energy as I wait on the blahs to pass, and for things I'm waiting on to start falling into place.

I need ideas, people! I've got 1.2 Gigawatts of potential energy, but nothing interesting to ply it on. Weather is still too cold to do outside stuff, and I'm facing down a heap of life issues that I have to wait in order to resolve, and I don't want to spend 12 hours a day playing video games.

I mean, throw me a friggin' bone here.

Oh, you asked for it.  You want interesting and time-stealing?  Look no farther than...

REDACTED and REDACTED.

So, you may think I'm a bit crazy for recommending mathematical texts, but first off, they're free and I can guarantee you that each one will probably suck up 50 hours or more, with an emphasis on the "more" part (surprisingly helpful, that).  Second, the exposition is by a great mathematician with an excellent pedagogical sense.  Third, they begin from the most rudimentary concepts possible (i.e. axioms of set theory and/or order theory), and anything that is not immediately clear is readily googleable.  Fourth, all of the exercises are interesting and easy (i.e., they typically require only one trick to solve), though they do need a bit of cleverness from time to time.  This just makes them even more engrossing.  Fifth, all of the exercises are well-motivated: they are little building blocks to make something big and beautiful, with absolutely no waste.  Sixth, your pal Vector has complete answers for all of them and can provide hints, should you get stuck to the point of being pissed off for more than a couple of days (and yes, there are some occasional wall-bangers in there.  They build character [also known as mathematical maturity]).

Seventh, what isn't to love about the Dedekind-Macneille completion and Sylow theorems?  You'll be amazed at what you know and what you can do once you've finished working through the two documents, though I will submit here that the algebra notes are not done being updated (it'll be finalized in June or so, I imagine).

If you finish with those two, there's also REDACTED and REDACTED, though those are a little bit more advanced and would probably require some work through the first four chapters of Walter Rudin's Introduction to Mathematical Analysis beforehand.  Rudin's text is elementary in its exposition, but ... difficult.  I'll note that if you for unknown reasons have 16 dollars, you can currently get the international version for that much off of Amazon (and it's probably 500 hours or more worth of exploration, so it's worth the money if you're feeling that tenacious).  Should you find yourself interested, I can also send you the link to the hint/extension/explanation file one of the professors at my university cooked up.

If you're just looking for novels, however, I'd need some idea as to what you have and haven't read, and if you're willing to read things with sad endings.  My recommendation list is largely French novels which should be easily available in translation, but the French don't exactly know how to do sci-fi or fantasy very well... and there's a certain amount of "life is terrible" that ends up pervading everything they write.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:45:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 29, 2010, 05:02:11 pm »

Well one of the things thatmade me sad today was the first time i had to do a call as part of work experence. Needless to say after I said I was new she replied 'Oh well I dont think you know what you are doing' and then she hung up on me. Way to go First person hung up. I can' help if I am socially inept when talking to complete strangers on the phone.  :-[
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 8167