Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475073 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3690 on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »

I have this terrible affliction.  I play a game or read some awesome novel, and then I go "Hey, it might be cool to read fanfic for this.  Maybe someone has some interesting insights."

Then I go happen to find something and SURE ENOUGH, every single damned time, it's awful enough that I want to gouge my eyes out.  So I go indulge in more good storylines and... true to form, the cycle continues.  Pfaugh.

Happens to me too many times for my own good. But then, I always remember Sturgeon's Law.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

TV tropes is good for that sort of thing, I've found.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:33 pm »

They have recommendations.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10:59 pm »

'S what I meant.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 25, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

I do believe that he was expanding upon your statement instead of correcting it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »

Ah, I see. Thanks, Toony.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 25, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »

They have recommendations.

YES This. The Touhou recommendations were pretty good and I'm sure the others will be.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:02 am »

You should read My Immortal.

The Best Fanfiction I Have Ever Seen.                                                                 Not really 

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 26, 2010, 02:25:58 am »

You should read My Immortal.

The Best Fanfiction I Have Ever Seen.                                                                 Not really 

Back at /ts/ we were loling about it till the sun came up... and went down... and went up again...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 26, 2010, 02:28:08 am »

It made my brain hurt.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 26, 2010, 10:17:11 am »

The literary market too is filled with bad fan fiction, in the form of editors approving works on the basis that the theme will sell, rather than the writing being any good. I could cite Eragon, for instance, or any of the innumerable movies and stories that rode on the coattails of Harry Potter fandom. The pattern repeats with movies and music. An inventive movie genre, pop band, or game will inspire a trend for years to come, because everyone wants to copy their successful formula.

Anywho, I'm bummed that true creativity and invention gets brushed aside in favor of "what sells," and that everyone gets so preoccupied by making money that they compromise their creative vision, and lose sight of the original point of the medium.

*grumbles something about capitalistic societies, and money being the only incentive within them*[/b]

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:43 am »

Anywho, I'm bummed that true creativity and invention gets brushed aside in favor of "what sells," and that everyone gets so preoccupied by making money that they compromise their creative vision, and lose sight of the original point of the medium.
Ugh. Agreed. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense: Why take risks when they are unlikely to sell? I think most creative mediums should not be businesses at all, and instead populated solely by those who love what they are creating. Games, books, art, (movies? I don't know) most of the great, famous creations of all of these mediums were created because they could be, for fun, not to turn a profit.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 26, 2010, 11:00:02 am »

Ugh. Agreed. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense:

To be honest it doesn't make sense as in the long term it'll kill your franchise if you don't develop it creatively. People only put up with rehashes of the same story/film/game/etc for so long. But most businesses only ever look at short term gain (and in a lot of cases they have to legally).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:46 am »

Long term: I suspect there will be another gaming crash before too long. The first one happened due to too many junk copies of older games flooding the market, and we're starting to head that direction again now.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 26, 2010, 11:10:08 am »

I'm sad because Lord Dullard felt the need to post a conspiracy theory, but also knew that it would lead to arguing.  Rather than simply not posting it, he posted it and then locked it, so no one can even discuss it.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 8167