Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473488 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3615 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:06 am »

Isn't that like saying that since a plate can break, it can pu itself together?

If you want though, I might be able to get your mother in touch with the guy that did my brother. He is supposed to be one of the best, but she'll need to be taken care of for a few days. No promises though, especially since he is DC area only, but you might get a consultation or something.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: March 24, 2010, 02:01:06 am »

I live in Australia, and it's my eyesight that's bad, and it's only an inability to read at a distance. That's why I'm worried that she broke down over it.
Thanks for the offer, though.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: March 24, 2010, 03:48:51 am »

My mother nearly broke down in front of me when I said that I didn't think eyes could improve on their own.

Your eyes will change with age (mostly muscle fatigue) and as you grow (while you are younger), also over-straining your eyes will weaken the focal range and relaxing them will (very very slowly) recover it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:54 pm »

As I understand it (I've asked the question of an optomitrist), your eyes get worse from not having changes in focal length over long periods of time. Like other muscles, the muscles in your eyes atrophy from disuse. This is why people who read regularly, watch a lot of TV, or play a lot of video games tend to become near-sighted.

That's why they tell you to take a break for your eyes. It isn't that they're straining, but that the muscles are locked into one distance for a long period of time, and become weaker. The way to "exercise" your eyes when nearsighted is to practice focusing on something close, and moving it farther away, until it passes just beyond your range of clear vision. If you do this often enough, your eyes will be able to bring the object back into focus. Try to maintain focus on the slightly-farther-than-focused object for a length of time, continuing to push the boundary of your vision, and you'll start to find it easier to bring things back into focus.

That, and take frequent breaks for your eyes every 2 hours of fixed-range-focus activities, and look out the window, or take a walk around and look at things in the distance.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:33 pm »

A dream.

... *Sigh* I can dream at least...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:14 pm »

i'm sad because the "what made you angry today" threads apparently attract locks so i cant post my anger v.v

Corel WordPerfect makes me so angry. I just want it to do what I tell it to do. everythign worked intuitively on Microsoft Word. It's not worth the easier mail merging and text aligning shortcuts. It's just not!
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:34 pm »

I seem to be either hallucinating or so incredibly paranoid that I see and feel things that aren't there.

Hm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »

Care to define "things"? It could be side effects of stress, lack of sleep, extended periods of isolation, etc. Excesses of stress, and fight-or-flight chemicals can make you oversensitive to minor things, like shadows and tactile sensations.

...Granted, so can a handfull of fun psychoses, but best not to leap to them unless other explainations don't fit. >.o

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: March 24, 2010, 01:32:41 pm »

Silly right-wing politicians. Not that silly politicians in general don't make me annoyed, but I reserve a special kind of annoyance for Sarah Palin and her ilk.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »

Care to define "things"? It could be side effects of stress, lack of sleep, extended periods of isolation, etc. Excesses of stress, and fight-or-flight chemicals can make you oversensitive to minor things, like shadows and tactile sensations.

Small earthquakes (possibly just an ear problem, though they're worse when I'm more stressed) and sores in my mouth.  My guess is that it's the stress >.o

At least I'm not asking people if I invented them anymore, or having as much trouble telling my dreams from reality.  That was really interesting for a while...

"Oh hey, dude!  I'm so glad to see you again.  ... Are you real, or did I make you up?"

"Um, I'm real, Vector."

"Hurray!  I won.  Now, why did you do that weird thing with the water glasses and so on?  I don't understand what used tableware has to do with beautiful women."

"... That didn't happen, Vector."

"In that case, I must have dreamed it.  Anyway, how are you?"

Yeah... that was awkward for a good long time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

I seem to be either hallucinating or so incredibly paranoid that I see and feel things that aren't there.

Hm.

Like my name being heard through silence.

Your conversation reminds me of "A Beautiful Mind".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: March 24, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »

I used... No I still have that Vector. It's... Infuriating. Though the doors and stuff don't talk to you right? Because the door to my room is a real asshole.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: March 24, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »

I got rid of my door for that reason.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »

I used... No I still have that Vector. It's... Infuriating. Though the doors and stuff don't talk to you right? Because the door to my room is a real asshole.

The worst thing my old bedroom door ever did to me was when the doornob started to jiggle softly, and then faster and louder, before it started to randomly drift in and out for about 45 seconds... in the middle of the night, when I was home alone. I tried to rationalize it through wind, but all the windows were closed. I then thought it was the cat, but he was locked up in the laundry room, where my folks kept him at night (their wierd habit, but aside from the point).

I stopped trying to rationalize it, and tried to forget it happened so I could actually sleep, but it freeked the crap out of me. It's probably the closest thing to personal evidence I've ever found for any of that paranormal business people go on about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:24 pm »

Your conversation reminds me of "A Beautiful Mind".

Pfaugh >_>  There's nothing that wrong with me.  I just have a hard time living in the world of people after such a long time with objects, so I have a hard time recognizing people I know or whatever.  It doesn't help that I talk to people I know in my head, so that after a few months alone I can't distinguish dreams, novels, my own mental constructs, and reality anymore.

Bit easier nowadays, fortunately, since I do talk to people most days rather than just spending all my time by myself.

No, nothing talks back, fortunately (I do talk to teapots and so on, and I tend to violently bitch out any schoolwork that won't do itself).  I just have a terrible time distinguishing between fact and fiction, especially when I'm stressed, lonely, or tired.  Lucky me: I'm currently all three.

On the other hand, I've been having all these weird sorts of reality-benders for my entire life, so at least I can cope all right.  Things are getting better, too--I haven't had one of those episodes where I speak pure gibberish for an hour for almost a year now.

It's probably the closest thing to personal evidence I've ever found for any of that paranormal business people go on about.

Heh, I had dreams about my best friend years before I ever met him.  Probably just a self-fulfilling prophecy thing, but I can tell you I was really shocked when he started exhibiting the characteristics of the person my subconscious invented to keep me from going crazy.

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 8167