Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472419 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3570 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »

Reading that made me go back and check out all those hawt roof prawns again, this made me happy!

Does anyone remember what thread it was where I posted all of that roof pr0ns?
Or was it the thread he just linked?

I remember my addition was memorable,
 and I'd like to keep track of it.

"Dictionary Censorship," started by CobaltKobold.

Thanks Vector!

Those were the days.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: March 21, 2010, 07:58:34 pm »

That might've been my fault.

Although I have since discovered it's true.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »

I'm really bummed out right now.

I don't know why, I was just down stairs and I realized what's ahead of me right now and it sucks.  I'm designed so that I can't quit anything important to what "I'm suppose to do".  I can't think of WHY I do this, but I find myself as a Knight In Sour Armor A LOT.  That tends to be my general mood, sometimes I dip into Cuckoo Land, but that's only in short bouts of happiness, also known as NOT CARING.  It pisses me off, but that just makes me work towards my goal of SOMETHING.  I'm suppose to go have some successful career, right?  That's how it works RIGHT?  I work hard academically, now I'm spending my precious time that was entertainment for me doing VOLUNTEER HOURS.  SO that I can get into some stupid ass National Honor Society and the only reason I'm doing that IS FOR MY FUTURE.
     I can't look at my past self, my past self is ALWAYS inferior to my present self, it has been the case forever.  That's a good thing, right?  Let's put this metaphorically.  I'm some dude running through some desert for some water at the end.  Let's call this water "the goal" I have to achieve.  Well you know real life?  There is no water at the end, because there IS NO END.  So that must mean I have to enjoy the part where I'M RUNNING THOUGH THE HOT, HARD, STEAMING DESERT.  Which is impossible.  Then you have the "others", it's hard not to be blunt about this, but you have THOSE people that take the enjoyable route, the car ride under a nice shaded roof through the desert.  They don't work as hard, so they don't have a better future, but THEY ARE HAPPY.  *sob*
     I need to, this is hard to explain.  Oh yeah people tell you to enjoy life blah blah bulllshit.  I'm always STRESSED THE FUCK OUT.  What should I be anxious about today ToonyMan?  Oh, I can't be stressed out about school because I'm all set there FOR THIS MINUTE.  LET'S GET SWEATING OVER MY SOCIAL PROBLEMS WITH MY FATHER.  Or maybe that game of Mafia I'm in where I'm getting a lot of heat?  Yeah sure why not.  Just for some humor why don't we give ToonyMan a good dose of autism and ocd for the heck of it?  THAT MIGHT WORK.  A resting heartbeat of 140 bps is AWESOME.
     Also, why not give ToonyMan interests that NOBODY in the WORLD would be interested in?  How about whenever ToonyMan talks in the public he always thinks he's going to get screwed?  How about the fact I have no friends outside school ones?  I'm a complete shut in.  Last week someone during lunch asked if we could hang out, I couldn't say yes.  I COULDN'T SAY YES.  Just some mild I'm busy shit.  I feel I'm causing a lot of what's happening.  Because like, that's usually what happens, right?  Super freak to the max.
     I need something new, or there must be something out there.  NO.  The problem lies in me.  Maybe if I was stronger, more will in what I do.  I have to be stronger, I can't let anybody down.  I don't need support from others.  Maybe.  I know I do need support, but I could never say or do it.  Even if what I say now is a contradiction it wouldn't change anything, I always contradict myself.  I think I punish myself too much.
     Watching Gurren Lagann is really weird.  The main character is so determined and strong, I know this sounds lame and geeky, maybe even freaky, but I wish I was as strong as FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.  Come on now, I can't take this seriously anymore.  Soon I'll be talking to stuffed animals.  Blah, I don't know what say right now.  I just feel really cold in the inside all the time.

That's it for now.

Oh, and we have no food and I'm hungry.  Guess I have to wait until school lunch tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:24:44 pm by ToonyMan »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »

Blargh.  I'm afraid I can't be too helpful for you, since I'm in a somewhat similar situation... but I think that all you can really try to do is find a peaceful place where things are easier.  Through time, that race gets easier and more peaceful, and there are rewards along the way.  It's just that the very first part is so hard that it looks and feels impossible.

If you can keep going through the beginning of the race, I swear it gets easier over time.  You'll still feel like this sometimes--I know I certainly do--but you just have to realize that you're cutting your own path, and doing something that others are incapable of doing.  They may have their shaded roof and car ride, but you've got your own legs that can carry you farther and faster than they can even dream of.  It's not about a successful career--that won't be hard for you to secure.  It's about something beyond that, and nearly intangible, and a reason to continue living.  If you truly hate what you're doing, then you should stop.  If there's some reason you have for continuing, however, or if you genuinely can't stop, then you need to realize that you're making certain sacrifices and think about what you really want.

The thing, though, is that you can't let your stress eat you.  You have to train yourself to relax--not in a "taking lots of time off" sort of way, but in a "remembering to breathe" sort of way.  It's not about "stopping to enjoy life," it's about seeing things as they are.  You're doing well, and you're trying to do even more well, but that doesn't mean that an occasional failure will end your life.  People always told me that life was a hard and unforgiving place where everyone is trying to kill you, but that's simply not true.  You can make mistakes and recover from them, and everything will end up fine.

If you find that you're lonely and need support, then you need to go get those things.  It's not a matter of needing more will.  People need kindness, and you're not weak for that.  Sometimes, we even find that we can't find tenderness with our own parents, which is a tragedy, but we have to move on.  But you see, doodabuddy, if you need someone to help take care of you then you're going to have to reach out (which is, I suppose, what you're doing here).

Don't worry about contradicting yourself.  Just look for the truth, and don't punish yourself--since punishment is a waste of time.  You just have to do what you can and see how it goes.

I don't know.  I'm lucky--I have Rosewood, who started taking care of me a couple of years ago and has helped me out of the hard places ever since.  I've also convinced a handful of professors to watch out for me and make sure I'm doing okay (possibly by being batshit insane all over their tests, but oh well).  The truth is, though, that I'm still very much like you.  I'm looking for a safe place where I can lie down and rest my feet for a while, but I don't think any exists and I'm frightened I'll spend the rest of my life running, only to get nowhere in the end.

On the other hand, though, we can't allow ourselves to be ruled by nonsensical fears--so keep believing in your bright future, and I will, too.

Vector, you really should look up Friendly AI, I think it might fit you once your done with your current maths, and the area needs more mathematicians like you. Especially look up the SIAI website.

Heh.  Rosewood has already warned me away from P=NP as his territory, so I think I'm keeping far, far away from AI and computer science for now (especially because it's filled with all those nasty application things).  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  The truth is that I already have a particular open problem I'm looking at, and if I manage to get anywhere near it it will probably cost my life to complete.

Damn it, Vector, do NOT go melancholy on us from a failed mood! Worthwhile migrants are hard to come by!

Sorry...your post just seriously reminded me of a dwarf working on an artifact in that 'perfection or oblivion' sort of way.

I'm trying not to ;_;  I think I'm kind of melancholy for other reasons, though, but hopefully that will go away.  I felt better today.

Follow your inner muses. As in all things, they will guide you down the path of awesome. The same goes for your studies; if mathematics interest you, go for it. You may be allowing your education and degree to define yourself too much. I'm a biology major, and I happen to love the outdoors. I also love computer games, digital art, good cooking, cutting-edge science, fantasy novels, brittish humor, jazz music, and theoretical physics. I'm fascinated by the vastness and complexity of the universe, the bredth and depth of variety in the human experience, and how we fit into the big picture.

I warrent most people are as varried in their interests, but we often push those aside and talk about our careers, our talents, etc. We are immensely complex creatures, so don't let something as minor as a piece of paper that says "I am certified to know my shit" limit or define what you feel you are, or what your capabilities as a human being are.

It's not that I think they're going to eat me.  It's that I have no idea as to what I should say... and I have very few interests that anyone else seems to really care about.  Someone says "how are you doing"--well, how in the heck am I supposed to respond to that?  I barely remember the past month.  I can't remember what season it is, for crying out loud, or that the sun being bright outside means it will be warm.

Then they talk about socializing, their friends, blah blah blah... and I haven't made any friends.  I've been in college for two years, almost, and it's not like I have a bunch of stories about Crazy Shit I Did or knowledge of anything of interest to anyone else.  I mean, sure, if you really want to know about the intricacies of Japanese manners, algebra, or the linguistics of rhyme... well, I'm your girl.  Same goes for swapping embarrassing stories about professors or nearly dying of overwork, but when it comes to parties, drinking, and whatever, I can't say anything.  I don't know about the current political situation, TV shows, or behavior of the younger generation.

I've made this choice, and I'm all right with it.  The only trouble is that it makes socializing really, really hard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: March 21, 2010, 11:01:25 pm »

I have the exact opposite problem from you guys.

I can't make myself care even if i want to.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:54 pm »

That's because you're 14.  It'll go away when you're older.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 21, 2010, 11:33:58 pm »

God i hope so.

I had a relative die. I believed for about a week that he was another relative, that i was semi-close with. I didn't care.

I think i have problems.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 21, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

That's because you're 14.  It'll go away when you're older.

Heh, I remember being 14.  That was terrible.

And yeah, you care about things a lot more as you age.  I've started putting a heck of a lot more value on life of late.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 22, 2010, 03:12:07 am »

Apathy is the chief responsibility for a teen. If you are not upholding a traditional sense of 'I do what i want, I move my own pace, and Fuck the world', then you are shaming your heritage as a teen. It's not about 'live life the fullest you possibly can'. It's more like 'YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH NON STOP PARTY'
I can worry about getting rich and setting up a family when I'm thirty.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:49:46 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 22, 2010, 03:26:33 am »

+4 rep.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 22, 2010, 06:14:16 am »

Oh God. I'm doing the Little Rocket Man achievement in Episode Two and I had to use noclip to go pick him back up because of my quicksave tendencies. I'm terrified this means the achievement is now impossible to complete. I even turned off sv_cheats afterwards, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 22, 2010, 07:11:37 am »

THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:38 am »

I've come to the conclusion that junior high/middleschool really sucks. Probably moreso than highschool.

At least exceeding in highschool carries with it advantages and rewards -- scholarships, a brighter future, etc. While the social nonsense that most every adolescent goes through still exists, I assume it'll take a lesser role. At least I'll actually have something to do in highschool.

My marks are pretty average. I'll do well on tests, but I don't hand in projects. I'm actually concerned about failing, even though my marks should let me pass.

Basically, I want to get through junior high doing as little work as possible, and then work extremely hard in highschool, when there are advantages. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there's something wrong with this outlook.

There are people in my class who work hard, get honours, etc., yet I have no idea why. Why are they working hard when there's no payoff? Working hard now won't help them later... why not just work hard when it counts, and coast by lazily when it doesn't?

That's my outlook. Now, I arrived at the above conclusions, which basically means I'm lazy and won't accomplish anything important, yet I'm content with that. That's the problem, see -- I'm depressed about being content with that.

Should I suddenly start working hard?...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 22, 2010, 07:21:51 am »

[truth about school]

It depends if you want to :P

Also, it depends on your view of school - if you go to school to get honours, flashy pieces of paper and attention of anyone, then yes, work hard.

If you go to school to learn only the things that will be important* in your life/career, then go on at your own pace, but don't get too lazy, or you will fail at exams/whatever.

*For example, you want to become a journalist. Why the hell you have to do 6 biology projects in school then? A mark is just a letter on papers. But, shush, this not a thread for that x3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3584 on: March 22, 2010, 08:43:00 am »

I feel like I could help with some of these problems.
I don't know if I will sound sincere over the internet,
 as I've realized that I don't hold the same sort of charisma as I do in person.

There are a couple of things you need to realize to be happy and sensible.
You can be happy, or you can be sensible, but to be both is a little harder.

The first thing you need to realize is that the majority of people are retarded.
As in most of the last generation, and about half of this one.
The world is overrun with them, and they are in control.
That is why a lot of things don't make sense, because credentials are barely useful.
Qualification means being there are the right time.
Once you accept this reality, things make a lot more sense.

Here comes the important part.
These morons have crafted this system in such a way as to make THEM happy.
It might seem stupid to you, but if you can tap into THAT vein,
 then you can be happy like them, but still stay ahead of the curve.

The secret is, that in a society designed to empower morons,
 things that seem easy are the right way to go about doing things,
 and if you find yourself putting in too much effort,
 then it means you are doing something unnecessary.
If you are trying to change the world, then by all means, keep working hard.
If you would rather live a practical lifestyle,
 then maybe you should change your mind.

The only place actual knowledge matters is in the college community.
Outside of that knowledge means nothing, and pieces of paper mean everything.
The only place it pays to try harder is if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer.
Personally, I don't want to trade away a third of my youth
 in exchange for a high-stress high-paying job.
The benefit of wealth isn't that meaningful to me.

If you stop taking everything so seriously, you will be much happier.
The people in that car with the shade have the right idea.
You might not realize it, but there are millions of them,
 and there has to be some way that they survive, right?
You can be one of them, and you can take advantage of that lifestyle.

The trick is knowing where you are going,
 and when to get out of the car.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 8167