Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449862 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3015 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »

I know it's not a "today" thing, and it's not really even "sad", but I feel like this is a relevant-enough thread.

A couple weeks ago, I was at the doctor's getting the painless rash on my hand examined.
It was going away from the hypercortisone cream he had given me the week before, so success!
Before he left, he asked, "Are there any other things you want to talk about before you leave?"

So, I finally brought up my chronic diarrhea issue to a medical professional. A huge variety of foods set off my stomach to a painful half-hour/hour in the bathroom, on average about two nights per week. One thing that he said was that I was to keep a dietary log for the next couple months. I understood. I should also try things like antacids and all those to see what works so we can pin what is causing this issue. I understood. I should also drop trou and lay on the table on my side over there.

Wait, what?

SURPRISE!
YOUR FIRST RECTAL EXAM!

It was the first time I was ever anally penetrated. It is painful. They stick the thing in deep. I did not know until then that I could control my muscles that far in. Oh god.

The worst part was that my anus was sensitive the entire day, and I had diarrhea problems again the same night, which was extra painful coming out.

Oh. And I have to schedule a colonoscopy in a couple months.

Joy!
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: February 23, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »

I was like that during my first colonoscopy.

My first one.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: February 23, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »

Kongurajureishanzu!

Anyway, ouch.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:35 pm »

I can only imagine what could be causing it.

Or why they would do a colonoscopy for diarrhea.

I guess thats why Im not a... colonoscoper?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:43 pm »

I can only imagine what could be causing it.

Or why they would do a colonoscopy for diarrhea.

I guess thats why Im not a... colonoscoper?

What is boils down to is that poop comes out of your butt.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:28 pm »

What about the stomach?

Poop problems can happen in the stomach too!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »

Sometimes, to be totally accurate, you need to explain that poop comes out of a butt.

I wish it wasn't so.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

Your GPA is important because if you're not willing to apply yourself (It sounds like you're not) then you're not a good investment, no matter how smart you. 

On the plus side, once you're in college high school grades don't matter anymore, they want to see your college grades.

My mood just dropped around 43 points.
I can say with all seriousness that I am truly and hopelessly screwed, and dammit people should stop making me think of it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: February 24, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

I can say with all seriousness that I am truly and hopelessly screwed, and dammit people should stop making me think of it.

So, you don't care enough to apply your self, but you care enough to get depressed over it.

Pick a side, dammit.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:25 am »

So, you don't care enough to apply your self, but you care enough to get depressed over it.

Pick a side, dammit.

Nonono, I just know I'm screwed because of very bad choices.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: February 24, 2010, 12:13:33 am »

At least you didn't make the right choice and get screwed by irony.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:40 am »

Your GPA is important because if you're not willing to apply yourself (It sounds like you're not) then you're not a good investment, no matter how smart you. 

On the plus side, once you're in college high school grades don't matter anymore, they want to see your college grades.

Nah, you aren't.  There's always time to turn around.  I found out this year that if I want to become a mathematician, I should have started studying 14 hours a day 6 years ago.  Even though I know I'm probably kind of screwed, and getting just 9 hours of sheer concentration is rough, I'm going to keep trying as long as I live.  We've both got a chance, and we need to make the best of it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: February 24, 2010, 12:21:47 am »

Plus, you can get into a community college with pretty mediocre high school grades, and transfer to a four year college.  That's what I"m doing, and I scraped by in high school.
Shoes...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:37 am »

Plus, you can get into a community college with pretty mediocre high school grades, and transfer to a four year college.  That's what I"m doing, and I scraped by in high school.

Hermm, scraped by I did not do.

Ok, I have an idea.
I build a house in the mountains and live off eating goats.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:34 am »

Alright, so I was one of those "gifted" students in high school that was incredibly lazy and didn't apply himself.

Guess what? We're actually fairly common.

Now, I had all the advanced classes, got D's and C's in most of them for not turning in homework/lab reports/essays, and failed and retook Pre-Calc and Physics. I told myself every year that I would buckle down and be a good student, but I only simply got "less bad" every year. I had an addiction to gaming, purely of my own fault. Not a sort of addiction that needs sympathy or medicine, mind you. Just one that made me choose to play computer games instead of sitting down to work or going to sleep.

I graduated high school with no big achievements other than being the captain of the Academic Team (New-Jersey-wide trivia-contest team) which is no big achievement in itself either. I didn't get enough for most of my AP tests and so I didn't get many college credits at all. I was rejected from almost every college I applied to including the state college which my overachiever peers all used as their backup (Rutgers), and so I now instead go to Hunter College, on my second semester. It's 4-year and very inexpensive, and I feel like I'm dumb when I have to write 4-page papers while my friends have been writing 10-page papers their very first semester. (No offense to those who went or go to Hunter--it is just that I am a scholar and geek (which is a nerd, I guess?), and Hunter is designed for people with jobs and families or otherwise demanding lives).

The addiction to gaming was not the cause of my lack of internal motivation--my lack of internal motivation turned me to gaming. I was aware the entire time that I needed to gain self-motivation, but I couldn't ever get it. Now that I'm out of high school and living in an apartment in Brooklyn (though I live with my busybody dad in a one-room studio with little privacy), I have finally been able to get ahold of myself and do my work for school. It's become much easier for me to make myself work (though I do still procrastinate, just moderately) when I choose the classes I want to learn and operate on my own setting while all my school info is emailed directly to me and my parents are not the ones receiving my own progress reports. My goal now is to keep a high enough GPA so that I can transfer to a school with an engineering program, because I want to be a Computer Engineer.

All those little things in high school don't matter significantly in college, but it does determine which college you use to move your life into its next phase. You want to try to get enough internal motivation just so that you can get into a good college, and then every little thing you do in college determines if you get that degree with enough to be able to get into the career you want to get into--and you'll probably see that the little things in college don't really matter in your job, but they are still important at the time.

I wish I had gotten "it" at the beginning of high school that what I do there really does still affect where I go next which then affects in the big picture where I end up.

My dad's favorite saying is something I think is out of Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac:

Every drop of water and grain of sand
Makes the mighty ocean and the pleasant land.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 8167