Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446380 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #2595 on: February 08, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »

Thanks!

I'm reading that book right now actually! Yea, it's great. :D

You shuldnt have mentioned quaternions and transcendentals thou, now I'm on a wikiwalk instead of doing whatever I am supposed to be doing... Which ironically I think is math homework. :P

Edit: Ok, I think I got my fallacy by reading the coments criticising that article abaut nullity. As I understood it it is perfectly posible to say x/0, but evrything is a solution to it, so it's just meaningless, along the lines of saying x=x, it's MORE meaningles than saying -∞<X<∞ because that excludes some nonreal numbers. A graph with divide by zero would be a solid square of ink.
Is this correct?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:17:21 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:51 pm »

Edit: Ok, I think I got my fallacy by reading the coments criticising that article abaut nullity. As I understood it it is perfectly posible to say x/0, but evrything is a solution to it, so it's just meaningless, along the lines of saying x=x, it's MORE meaningles than saying -∞<X<∞ because that excludes some nonreal numbers. A graph with divide by zero would be a solid square of ink.
Is this correct?

Hm... sort of.  When you write x/0 = y, you get x = 0*y but x =/= 0.  Basically, division by zero breaks the basic purpose of algebra (getting solutions to equations), so we leave it out.  It's not about the meaninglessness of writing x/0, since that tends to ∞.  It's about all the parts of math that it breaks and we'd really rather have around.

Saying -∞ < x < ∞ is fairly meaningful in all cases--it tells us we've got an arbitrary infinite set with certain characteristics defined.  That kind of statement is the limiting factor one needs to begin a proper proof, since very rarely are things true for all numbers.

If we graphed the solutions to the equation x/0 = y, then yes, we'd get a solid block of ink... though in general, we just don't because the statement -∞ < x < ∞, -∞ < y < ∞ such that x/0 = y is kind of pointless, as outlined above.  No matter what you do with it, it's universe-breaking.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

Ok, thanks, that's actually quite illuminating. :)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Douchebaggers keep ruining our progress in our tunnel society. And I keep forgettting to upload the pictures of our society.

Dug it all outta a snow mountain, and luckily its been snowing hard, so more mountain!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2599 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »

Steam is still causing me grief...

They finally responded:
Hello ----------, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The purchase of 3 carts with 23 games total with -------- ending in **** has been disputed. The cardholder will need to close the dispute and have the funds returned to Steam. If the cardholder is unable or unwilling to drop the dispute and let the credit card company know that the purchase is valid; and in turn have the funds returned to Steam then we will not be able to reactivate the account. All games on your account are locked to the account and can not be transferred to a different account. A different payment method can not be used for this game, the money must be returned by the card that made the original purchase. We are not able to do anything further with your account while a credit card dispute is still pending, please remedy this issue with the credit card company before asking for the account to be reactivated.

All this, after I already settled the problem weeks ago. This is getting annoying. With how common this crap is becoming, I assume I'm being targeted by someone for no reason at all; just a hunch. To make things worse, I don't know whether I missed out on any special deals or offers or anything because of it being my birthday or not.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 09, 2010, 02:46:33 am »

Despite an increasingly active lifestyle, my appetite has been rapidly decreasing.
It's gotten to the point where I'm inclined to just eat breakfast on most days.
Breakfast being a bowl of cereal and a bowl of coffee.
Today, I nearly forgot to eat lunch and had to force down my dinner.
The only thing that made it possible in both situations was strawberry preserves.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: February 09, 2010, 08:18:54 am »

Despite an increasingly active lifestyle, my appetite has been rapidly decreasing.
The only thing that made it possible in both situations was strawberry preserves.

When I first found dwarf fortress I stopped eating all together. Now I eat snacks and I'm set.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:39 am »

Bowls of coffee?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2603 on: February 09, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »

I've been in a similar position, but more for financial reason more than habit reasons. Reason I make sure to buy some snacks to eat alongside play, as well as a backup box of dry or canned food to cook in case I am indeed out of food to eat. It's amazing how even a spare bag of Ramen noodles can save your day.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 09, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »

I use the same bowl for my cereal and my coffee.
Saves dishes.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 09, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »

I passed out in the middle of class today. :(
Hurt my head pretty badly because of a sudden contact with hard floor.
Now I'm in constant pain.
It happened before. 5 months ago. Doctors didn't find anything, or they are just so stupid and lazy that they decided a 16 year old can just go and die. And I'm expecting just that. Diagnosis is nowhere to be found, and it is getting worse. Dying as a teenager would certainly suck

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 09, 2010, 05:34:55 pm »

I passed out in the middle of class today. :(
Hurt my head pretty badly because of a sudden contact with hard floor.
Now I'm in constant pain.
It happened before. 5 months ago. Doctors didn't find anything, or they are just so stupid and lazy that they decided a 16 year old can just go and die. And I'm expecting just that. Diagnosis is nowhere to be found, and it is getting worse. Dying as a teenager would certainly suck

Yes it would. I'd recommend finding better doctors.
What kind of doctors do you have?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 09, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

Public. And on top of that hospitals most of the time are on huge debts, because the government doesn't give enough money. So I wouldn't be surprised they did everything they could to cut down on costs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 10, 2010, 03:48:39 am »

Yeah, but they kind of have a duty of care. To everyone, not just non-teenagers.
If they're giving you the wrong perscription, maybe you aren't being detailed enough with your symptoms.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:49:48 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 10, 2010, 01:05:39 pm »

My uncle just died.

Its not his death thats making me sad, but instead my lack of sadness.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 8167