Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6581 6582 [6583] 6584 6585 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435382 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98730 on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:46 am »

Killing cane toads is attempting to unfuck nature. Seems reasonable to me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98731 on: November 10, 2015, 02:46:05 am »

Seriously?
I certainly hope killing humans in an attempt to unfuck nature seems reasonable to you, too, then, otherwise your argument makes zero sense.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98732 on: November 10, 2015, 02:54:35 am »

Eh. Humans can get punished and learn. Or so is the idea.
The difference between sentience and nonsentience.

However, I for one am not willing to allow all of our awesome animals to die because cane toads were introduced by cautious scientists long ago in an attempt to kill the cane beetle.
It's like you're saying myxomatosis was a bad thing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98733 on: November 10, 2015, 02:58:55 am »

Nature is a very jealous lover. If you fuck with it, you find that you have to keep fucking with it or it'll kill itself and possibly you in the process.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98734 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:16 am »

What we really need to do is work out what eats cane toads, and introduce that species in Australia.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98735 on: November 10, 2015, 03:29:42 am »

A couple of our native species have either worked out how to eat them, or have been found to be immune to the poison.
But a couple haven't.

Like this guy.

Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #98736 on: November 10, 2015, 06:15:37 am »

Seriously?
I certainly hope killing humans in an attempt to unfuck nature seems reasonable to you, too, then, otherwise your argument makes zero sense.

Seriously?

This is just too ridiculous. I really expect better logic from a goddamn grown up.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98737 on: November 10, 2015, 06:30:11 am »

Not sure what you're on about, there. You're the one who's failing to make sense.

Edit: Unfortunately I have to go to bed and as such cannot wait around for whatever insubstantial, snarky reply Scriver's going to come up with, so I'll just say this now: if you really think killing animals en masse is going to "help the environment", you aren't really thinking at all. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:48:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98738 on: November 10, 2015, 08:48:44 am »

Depends on what you call 'the environment'. The sum of all animals? Functioning ecosystems? If the latter, how do you define functioning? An ecosystem in a state similar to the one before mankind was around? Then you'll be fucking up most of  Europe's current ecosystems, since they're pretty much all man-made one way or another.

It's a difficult question, is  what I'm saying.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98739 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:00 am »

Sounds a bit to me like saying, "Shit, I already crashed my car into his house. He doesn't need me interfering in his life anymore, so I'd better not pay for the repairs."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #98740 on: November 10, 2015, 09:12:42 am »

Not eradicating cane toads is what is killing animals en masse, Yoink.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98741 on: November 10, 2015, 09:28:46 am »

If you really think killing animals en masse is going to "help the environment", you aren't really thinking at all. :)

Do you realize what would happen if we stopped killing cows?
The bloody things would be everywhere!
[/dylanmoran]

In seriousness, I can see where he's coming from. I can talk about saving Australia's special snowflake animals all I want, but then we go out and kill kangaroos because they're a pest animal which out-eats our livestock.

I guess it ends up coming down to 'Kill animals which inconvenience us most', which is probably a bad way to see life - other than the fact that cane toads don't really inconvenience me at all. I mean, swimming in a pool with them could lead to some interesting rashes/heart failure, but other than that they usually are just an ugly thing which is on my sidewalk sometimes.
But it's still been drummed into my head from a young age that they are the bane of all native animals, and to not terminate them wherever possible/convenient/unable-to-be-avoided is a cardinal sin.

But that's still part of the strange and rather wavy line of animal eradication. The European bee is the bane of the tiny brown native bees, but I don't run around with a fumigator.
That being said, if I come across a hive of native bees, I'll generally keep an eye on it and make sure nothing goes horribly wrong, and if I saw a bunch of the black-and-yellow bitches swarming it, I'd almost certainly start putting whacks in.
So now I'm curious as to whether that's soft-heartedness or god complex, as I guess true soft-heartedness is 'Don't kill animals, let them sort it out'.

Which, in the current context is nixed, because the developers next-door filling in the swamp was what caused this population boom, and whilst they're eventually gonna starve eachother out in the fullness of time, they're still gonna be breeding and eating and competing, to the misfortune of everything else in the area.
Just like humans do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:38:13 am by Tack »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98742 on: November 10, 2015, 09:32:32 am »

Just wait until some super cane toad resistant predators evolve. Eventually you will get  something cool like australian  acid spitting flying snakes or flying australian spiders shooting needles full of parasitic spider eggs to grow inside the host, until host bursts into australian flying needleshooting spider swarm.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98743 on: November 10, 2015, 09:33:51 am »

Do you realize what would happen if we stopped killing cows?
The bloody things would be everywhere!

Cows would eat all the grass away until there was nothing left for them to feed on... Except human flesh!!!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98744 on: November 10, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

Let's wait until acid-resistant coral and birds with oil-proof feathers show up.
Oh no wait that would be stupid.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 6581 6582 [6583] 6584 6585 ... 8167