Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6539 6540 [6541] 6542 6543 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453019 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98100 on: October 20, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »

I don't have nearly as much work as you do, but I feel you. I went from one test next week to one test every day next week in two day's time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98101 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »

The thing is, one would think that in today's world (IE one in which you, as an individual, is more exposed than ever) people would start becoming less assholish and more self conscious. Suddenly, everyone starts living in glass houses, because you can only hide so much info about yourself. And yet, all we see is that people have completely ignored it and have continued to be huge pricks.
When you realize that being an asshole and/or stupid about things is normal why would you ever go through the difficult process of habitually not being one? If you put up with the others and they put up with you you both win.

Indeed, among the set of plausible results this is the best-case scenario. If people don't stop giving a fuck the alternative is brutal oppression.

It's not enough. It's not even close to enough. The human population needs to be around one billion or lower to not slowly (or not so slowly, as it is now) kill the planet, and we haven't even finished the population shift for half the world or the two highest population societies.

I hate to say it, but China had the right of it before they backed out of the one child policy. The whole world should have had that kind of enforcement, and should now. "Right to reproduce", what a fucking mess we live in. Your precious babies are the enemy of human survival.

Wouldn;t thay introduce an evolutionary selection pressure that favors criminality?

It's not enough. It's not even close to enough. The human population needs to be around one billion or lower to not slowly (or not so slowly, as it is now) kill the planet, and we haven't even finished the population shift for half the world or the two highest population societies.
Meh. Decent environmental controls and sustainable food supplies pretty much alleviate any problems high population can cause. And we're getting there, gradually.
The sustainable food thing brings up the ironic fact that by protesting gmo foods hippies and environmentalists are killing the environment
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #98102 on: October 20, 2015, 04:38:53 pm »

I wish I can skip meals like some people. Every time I eat slightly less than I should I nearly die of starvation before the next meal.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98103 on: October 20, 2015, 04:43:20 pm »

What we need is Doctor Moreau technology so that we can decouple reproduction from population growth
Psst. It's called a condom.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #98104 on: October 20, 2015, 04:44:20 pm »

I wish I can skip meals like some people. Every time I eat slightly less than I should I nearly die of starvation before the next meal.

due to the fact I keep wierd hours for sleep I usually end up missing a meal or two

i've got plenty of backup fat so i'm not really worried

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98105 on: October 20, 2015, 04:47:40 pm »

Would it be too much to ask for a day without some form of inexplicable, debilitating pain? Three's a trend, so I figure I can complain now. >______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98106 on: October 20, 2015, 04:48:30 pm »

...That's what snacks are for?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98107 on: October 20, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »

What we need is Doctor Moreau technology so that we can decouple reproduction from population growth

I didn't say decouple sex from population growth, I said to decouple actual reproduction from it. If we had the technology to - with drugs and surgery - make people out of something not inherently or genetically sapient like the animals in Doctor Moreau, and could somehow switch to the entire population being this then they could reproduce all they wanted because their offspring would be ordinary animals. Population would be determined exclusively by the application of the aforementioned surgery
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98108 on: October 20, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »

I didn't say decouple sex from population growth, I said to decouple actual reproduction from it. If we had the technology to - with drugs and surgery - make people out of something not inherently or genetically sapient like the animals in Doctor Moreau, and could somehow switch to the entire population being this then they could reproduce all they wanted because their offspring would be ordinary animals. Population would be determined exclusively by the application of the aforementioned surgery

So give everyone vasectomies, but save samples for future in vitro should they so desire and should the state permit it?

I foresee issues with this plan.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98109 on: October 20, 2015, 05:59:36 pm »

"Ugh. Damn it Cassandra! It's just a fucking horse statue. We aren't gonna all die if we accept it as a token of surrender."
 :P
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98110 on: October 20, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »

So give everyone vasectomies, but save samples for future in vitro should they so desire and should the state permit it?

That's not even vaguely similar to what I said.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98111 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:21 pm »

It totally is.

They can fuck all they want without having sentient offspring (in the vasectomy case, ANY offspring, but that's a quibble) and if they DO want a sentient offspring, there's a procedure available to provide, whether the emphasis is on the sentient half or on the offspring half is moot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98112 on: October 20, 2015, 07:54:41 pm »

It's everything.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98113 on: October 20, 2015, 08:10:49 pm »

It's everything.
Yeah. Cus then we won't need domestic livestock. We could just cook and eat our retarded offspring. Swift's Modest Proposal come to life!
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98114 on: October 20, 2015, 08:33:11 pm »

Noted, but again, India and China are still massive and growing populations (same with 3rd world). This is not wonderful if pursuing K type Species reproduction strategy.

We need either a massive increase in self control, or production, or better, both. We need philosophy, not technology, because more tech will just spur more kids. From cavemen to technocrats, it's a ratio of production to persons. The more out of kilter that gets, the more disagreement, violence, and eventually war, etc. Our entire social, psychological, and romantic ideas of reproduction are terrible with 50% plus divorce rates, etc, etc, etc.

Philosophy is the answer, love is a portion of it, practicality and production are as well. Yes, that's right, the misanthrope said that is the answer and meant it, because disbelief at humanity embracing these things..... [sigh]. Our technology has surged; our humanity has atrophied.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:35:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 6539 6540 [6541] 6542 6543 ... 8167